What to wear during the day

Good one! Preview photos of fellow cruisers! That should be required. LOL Then we'll know who exactly we're dealing with....

At least Kool sticks her picks out there! Good for her. :)

Actually, RCI should take all of the photog pics and put them on a site of its own. Now that would be hilarious! LOL

I would rather hear exactly what others have done personally. While I have not met many of the persoanlities on a message board, there isn't much I haven't seen in the way of dress. I would be disappointed the day I no longer see a well kept lady who is willing to show her belly button, with a ring to add. Legs are nice, so I fancy a short skirt for warmer weather (which is everyday in the desert). A bit of cleveage, why not. Use clothes to compliment our less than perfect bodies, not cover and hide it in shame. We are getting old not cold;)

V293569.jpg

I thought you were were asking about what kind of things you should pack to fit into withthe cruising crowd. I thought you were asking what people actually wear onboard. After all, if you haven't been on a cruise, or you haven't vacationed in the islands, you might not have a good concept of "resort casual". Just how casual is casual? Now it sounds like you've already made up your mind and are looking for validation of your opinion.

The information you've received is good. At the pool you'll see a mixture of bikinis and one-piece suits. Outside that area you won't see women walking around the ship in swimsuits. You won't see women walking around with their belly buttons showing. In fact, you don't see that anywhere anymore; the newer style is the layered, skin-tight tees/tanks that reach mid-hip. The slightly boxy, shorter tees have been out of style for about two years.

But don't take my word for it. Check out this page of Victoria's Secrets tee-shirts. Not a belly button in the bunch.

Once you're there, you're committed to whatever you've packed -- you can look around all you want, but if you haven't packed appropriate things, you're going to be without. It's wise to listen to those of us who've been there before. Bikinis are absolutley appropriate at the pool; outside the pool area, you'll be the only one wearing a swimsuit.

I don't think that's what's caused the unpleasant comments. I think it's because the OP asked the question as if she wanted the answer, then came back with negative remarks when she didn't get the responses she wanted.

Great post! My thoughts exactly. ;)

Yes and welcome to CC where all the gals are friendly and welcoming of newcomers! Force your opinions on others then bite their heads off when they ask if it is just your opinion or rules of the cruise lines. (Maybe we're seeing different responses from the elderly ladies than the hip young ones? But isn't that the way it should be? Doesn't seem like many of the "experienced cruises" even have belly button rings.)

First, MrsPete, I loved your response.

Second, OP, you asked two completely different questions on page 1.

First you asked if men and women can walk around in bathing suits on the promenade and for the most part you were told no. CAN you, technically? Probably. DOES anyone? Not really. I can HONESTLY say in nine Caribbean cruises i don't remember EVER seeing anyone walk around public areas (short of going from the pool back to their cabin and even then they usually have SOMETHING over their suits...usually it's kids or teens who MIGHT not) in a bathing suit, or a bathing suit top with a cover up only on the bottom.

Then you came back screaming about what the heck century do we live in, and mentioned low riders and a halter top. What do PANTS and a SHIRT have to do with walking around in a bathing suit? Who said you couldn't walk around in a halter with your belly button showing?

SOME people think you shouldn't wear jeans on board but that's ridiculous. (To anyone who wants to flame that comment, I didn't mention the MDR in that sentence...I said 'onboard.')

Who said you couldn't walk around in a halter with your belly button showing?

If you're inside the ship in the public areas, you should wear a full cover-up----not "bellies" showing...I mean, you wouldn't go to the mall with just your bathingsuit top on...

In the WJ, they will ask you to put on more clothes if you are showing your tummy, or butt! Shorts and a tee, or a simple sundress or cover-up over your suit is fine.

For men, a tee shirt over trunks (not a speedo!!!) is the norm!!!

I have never been on a ship, hope I never will be, where showing your tummy/belly is an issue. There are cute cropped tops worn with jeans, so a question of degree. Should everyone show their tummy, only if your are confident about your body image....many American women aren't. How bad, simple mention topless, not in the dining room of course

Thanks Kooljamming.

While I don't usually agree with cb at sea, I really don't think he meant halter tops, because right after, he said, "I mean, you wouldn't go to the mall with just your bathingsuit top on..." Sounds more like he was referring to a bikini top, like the woman in the picture above (which, btw, looks fabulous on her but if I saw her walking down the promenade I might think, "okaaaaay..." Esp if she WASN'T wearing the jacket!) :)

CB, feel free to correct me if I'm wrong. If I AM, and you were referring to something like a short halter top, then I think that's a bit much... :)

Thanks Kooljamming.

While I don't usually agree with cb at sea, I really don't think he meant halter tops, because right after, he said, "I mean, you wouldn't go to the mall with just your bathingsuit top on..." Sounds more like he was referring to a bikini top, like the woman in the picture above (which, btw, looks fabulous on her but if I saw her walking down the promenade I might think, "okaaaaay..." Esp if she WASN'T wearing the jacket!) :)

CB, feel free to correct me if I'm wrong. If I AM, and you were referring to something like a short halter top, then I think that's a bit much... :)

If I could pull that look off at 45, I wouldn't care what anyone thinks;)

At my age that would be way too short even with a jacket and a Wonda bra.

The body should first be view as a thing of beauty, and cover accordingly.

First, MrsPete, I loved your response.

Second, OP, you asked two completely different questions on page 1.

First you asked if men and women can walk around in bathing suits on the promenade and for the most part you were told no. CAN you, technically? Probably. DOES anyone? Not really. I can HONESTLY say in nine Caribbean cruises i don't remember EVER seeing anyone walk around public areas (short of going from the pool back to their cabin and even then they usually have SOMETHING over their suits...usually it's kids or teens who MIGHT not) in a bathing suit, or a bathing suit top with a cover up only on the bottom.

Then you came back screaming about what the heck century do we live in, and mentioned low riders and a halter top. What do PANTS and a SHIRT have to do with walking around in a bathing suit? Who said you couldn't walk around in a halter with your belly button showing?

SOME people think you shouldn't wear jeans on board but that's ridiculous. (To anyone who wants to flame that comment, I didn't mention the MDR in that sentence...I said 'onboard.')

Oh Amybeth! It's difficult to get too upset with you since those are my daughters names (Amy & Beth) and I love them but you just have it all wrong. The OP didn't ask if you had ever seen any wearing a bathing suit in the promenade or if you would like to see someone do so -- she asked if it was acceptable. IT IS!

She only screamed (and even then not too loudly) when some posters suggested that if her tummy showed she would be shown the door in the Windjammer. (A totally silly notion.) And who can blame her for that? What century are these people from after all? Just because they don't have a belly button ring can they expect everyone to keep them hidden?

I'm afraid all the older ladies and all the younger women who are not young enough to feel comfortable wearing a bathing suit in the promenade or a jeans and a halter top anywhere on the ship are now banned from commenting further on this thread. The OP didn't go to her bobcha and ask her what to wear -- she can here where she thought she would get solid advise. Not lectures on morality and lady like behavior and... well...

You better leave this to the guys!

Oh Amybeth! It's difficult to get too upset with you since those are my daughters names (Amy & Beth) and I love them but you just have it all wrong. The OP didn't ask if you had ever seen any wearing a bathing suit in the promenade or if you would like to see someone do so -- she asked if it was acceptable. IT IS!

She only screamed (and even then not too loudly) when some posters suggested that if her tummy showed she would be shown the door in the Windjammer. (A totally silly notion.) And who can blame her for that? What century are these people from after all? Just because they don't have a belly button ring can they expect everyone to keep them hidden?

I'm afraid all the older ladies and all the younger women who are not young enough to feel comfortable wearing a bathing suit in the promenade or a jeans and a halter top anywhere on the ship are now banned from commenting further on this thread. The OP didn't go to her bobcha and ask her what to wear -- she can here where she thought she would get solid advise. Not lectures on morality and lady like behavior and... well...

You better leave this to the guys!

FredMd, let me start by saying you have FABULOUS taste in names. :)

I guess if you want to go into semantics, yes it's "acceptable" to roam around the public areas in a bikini top. (And would they then go into a lounge in a bathing suit because something looked interesting and they didn't feel like changing? However, being that I've never seen it and I can't imagine I'm the ONLY one who's never seen it, I would consider it a little...odd? Unnecessary? Underdressed? It's just not the norm...I was hoping with the majority of people pretty much saying this, the OP would realize she MIGHT feel uncomfortable and would notice people looking at her with a "Oh put some clothes on" face. Or maybe that's what she wants. I dunno. :)

FredMd, let me start by saying you have FABULOUS taste in names. :)

I guess if you want to go into semantics, yes it's "acceptable" to roam around the public areas in a bikini top. (And would they then go into a lounge in a bathing suit because something looked interesting and they didn't feel like changing? However, being that I've never seen it and I can't imagine I'm the ONLY one who's never seen it, I would consider it a little...odd? Unnecessary? Underdressed? It's just not the norm...I was hoping with the majority of people pretty much saying this, the OP would realize she MIGHT feel uncomfortable and would notice people looking at her with a "Oh put some clothes on" face. Or maybe that's what she wants. I dunno. :)

Thank you for the compliment on our choice of names. The only thing better than Amy & Beth is your great idea to put them together. How did you ever think of that?

As for the subject at hand, let's forget for the time being what the OP wants or does not want. Let's just concentrate on what would be best for those of us sitting around in the Cafe' Promenade people-watching. Just think how great it would be for our heart rate and blood pressure to have ANYONE walk by in either a bikini or jeans and a halter top. Can't you, dear Amybeth, think about us for once? Please consider our plight and work with us here. Acceptable is acceptable. Period. (OK?)

Thank you for the compliment on our choice of names. The only thing better than Amy & Beth is your great idea to put them together. How did you ever think of that?

As for the subject at hand, let's forget for the time being what the OP wants or does not want. Let's just concentrate on what would be best for those of us sitting around in the Cafe' Promenade people-watching. Just think how great it would be for our heart rate and blood pressure to have ANYONE walk by in either a bikini or jeans and a halter top. Can't you, dear Amybeth, think about us for once? Please consider our plight and work with us here. Acceptable is acceptable. Period. (OK?)

Well, my first name is Amy and my middle name is Beth. I go by Amy but on here and my email, I threw 'em together because I like the way they sound together. :)

Now let me ask you something. OP did inquire about men walking around in nothing but a bathing suit and women wearing a bikini top with a wrap on the bottom.

Suppose they're European. Now poof, the man is probably in a speedo. Hot. (Sarcasm.) Second, many women (including in the US) wear bikinis that really don't have the bodies for them (and holy cow were there a LOT on the Liberty).

Now personally I can't STAND it when I'm with someone who says, "OMG she should NOT be in a bikini," because I think everyone has the right to wear whatever the hell makes them comfortable and if they don't have a problem with their flab, I certainly don't...pet peeve!!!! But that's another story for another therapist.

So now you have two people that most men would probably not look at and go, "AOOOOOOGAH" and have their eyeballs fly out of their head and their tongue hit the floor.

I'm just sayin'!

I guess if you want to go into semantics, yes it's "acceptable" to roam around the public areas in a bikini top.

Yes, it is!

I would rather see a beautiful exposed body, a lovely 6-pack to start, anywhere on the ship, than have it draped in the wrong cloth or tee-shirt......hmmmmmm eye candy, no calories:p:D

So if your belly button is showing, they will turn you away?

Are these real rules or just what "posters" would like to see?

I have actually been turned away from the WJ while wearing a bathing suit with a sarong around the bottom. I untied the sarong, pulled it up above the top of my bikini top, retied it, and was allowed in.

Well, my first name is Amy and my middle name is Beth. I go by Amy but on here and my email, I threw 'em together because I like the way they sound together. :)

Suppose they're European. Now poof, the man is probably in a speedo. Hot. (Sarcasm.) Second, many women (including in the US) wear bikinis that really don't have the bodies for them (and holy cow were there a LOT on the Liberty).

So now you have two people that most men would probably not look at and go, "AOOOOOOGAH" and have their eyeballs fly out of their head and their tongue hit the floor.

I'm just sayin'!

Amy is our first. Beth is #2. (Not Elizabeth ... she hates when people assume.)

But I'm done now. The images in my mind (speedos, etc.) are going to keep me awake -- and not in a good way! I know what you are saying. I just can't talk about it any more for now. Let's continue tomorrow please.

Let me clear this up:

When walking in the promenade, men should be wearing either a tux or suit and tie. Ladies should be wearing a cocktail dress and 5" heels.

Please remember, all infants should also adhere to the above suggestions. I mean come on, your little boys should already have a full suit at 6 months - I mean, what does he wear to church?

:D:p:D

Lol! Just kidding! I just get so shocked by people that want others to 'dress your best' on a cruise! Isn't this a relaxation vacation? I wear a bikini under everything on my cruises (except for dinner) with a cute dress type cover up. My bf wears his trunks with a t-shirt. If they're wet, he'll change first. But I wouldn't dress up to go to a mall in my hometown - why would I dress up to walk around the ship?:rolleyes: And I also wear low rider jeans because girls with bigger hips (like me:D) look much better in them than high waist jeans, on the average. There is also nothing wrong with a halter top on an age appropriate girl! Besides, if your DH or DB's eyes move to a woman dressed casually like that in good shape, well - at least you know he's alive!:p He's still in your stateroom that night! And maybe there will be a similarly good looking man in a speedo to gaze at...

What fun would people watching be if everyone dressed appropriately??! As long as the winner of the hairy chest contest is not sitting bare chested next to me at dinner, I love to see the variety! (And I'm a suburban housewife/mom who shops at malls - maybe I'll go a little crazy on our next cruise and bare my flabby arms!) Are ya ready for me RCCL?! :D

What fun would people watching be if everyone dressed appropriately??! As long as the winner of the hairy chest contest is not sitting bare chested next to me at dinner, I love to see the variety! (And I'm a suburban housewife/mom who shops at malls - maybe I'll go a little crazy on our next cruise and bare my flabby arms!) Are ya ready for me RCCL?! :D

Where would be the joy in people watching. I might get crazy and let my less than perfect mid drift show. Yes, forget about turning bowling pins into Bombay Mangoes with dem wonda bra. If I see a decent Paradeez I am the first one looking around, wondering how much those cost.

I am old not cold so the right guy in speedos is a treat to the eyes. Am I going to object to 007 or Antionio Banderas in whatever. Sorry got carried away.

I would rather hear exactly what others have done personally.
Personally, I wear a bathing suit only in the pool area. I wear shorts/tees, sundresses, miniskirts/blouses in other areas of the ship.

Everyone else on the ship -- regardless of body type -- seems to do the same thing. I do not remember seeing people wearing bathing suits in the Windjammer, the Promenade, the lounges, or other areas. If you choose to wear bathing suits in these areas, you will probably feel out of place.

(Maybe we're seeing different responses from the elderly ladies than the hip young ones? But isn't that the way it should be? Doesn't seem like many of the "experienced cruises" even have belly button rings.)
I'm not nearly "elderly" yet, but I can assure you that my high school students (and my own two teens and their friends) don't wear the cropped tops/belly shirts anymore -- they're very much out of style.
I guess if you want to go into semantics, yes it's "acceptable" to roam around the public areas in a bikini top.
If by acceptable, you mean "no one will say anything", then yes, it's acceptable. On the other hand, if you mean "this outfit will fit in with the other cruisers and the atmosphere of the Promenade or other public areas", then no. If you wear your bathing suit around the ship with only a sarong -- regardless of your body type -- then you will in all likelihood be the only one doing it.

If by acceptable, you mean "no one will say anything", then yes, it's acceptable. On the other hand, if you mean "this outfit will fit in with the other cruisers and the atmosphere of the Promenade or other public areas", then no. If you wear your bathing suit around the ship with only a sarong -- regardless of your body type -- then you will in all likelihood be the only one doing it.

And your point is??? Could it be that we should all run with the herd?

All I ask is that if one wears a bathing suit around the ship with only a sarong, please make the visual easy on the eyes. :D

If you wear your bathing suit around the ship with only a sarong -- regardless of your body type -- then you will in all likelihood be the only one doing it.

Which is OK.

I never thought it was necessary for people to dress or do anything just to fit in. I wear a formal gown in the buffet on the first night or every cruise (10 with another booked). Was I the only one, pretty, pretty much. Did I care, no way. I got a couple of looks, like you are dressed up on the wrong night, along with a few smiles and compliments:D

Personally I wear the outfit similar to the last pic in my signature, if I am spending most of the day in and out of the pool. That's more coverage than some gowns I have worn, unless having a bare back, and cleavage are more acceptable that exposed tummy and legs. Why bare back and not the tummy, then maybe the back is wrong too...ooops!

I would rather to look at a nice exposed body (6 pack) than one drappped in wrong clothes.

And your point is??? Could it be that we should all run with the herd?

All I ask is that if one wears a bathing suit around the ship with only a sarong, please make the visual easy on the eyes. :D

so you choose to discriminate and want to be able to decide who can wear a bathing suit beyond the pool area?

Archived