Bravo Zulu QM2

Beyondships

I just returned from QM2's Caribbean cruise and would like to point out what a remarkable performance it was to get the ship to New York only a few minutes behind schedule. Coming up the east coast of the United States to New York from the Caribbean presents a real challenge for mariners because if there is a large storm ahead, there is no real choice but to plow through it. This time, there were waves washing across the windows of the Golden Lion and a 40 knot wind. Ships nearby were barely making headway. QM2 proceeded along at her service speed. The ship did move about but the public rooms were operating as normal and there were a considerable number of passengers out and about.

It should also be noted that the ship had had to do a helicopter medical evacuation off Puerto Rico, which required her to depart from her course at the start of her northward run. Thus, she was operating with the handicap of having to make up for that delay as well.

Kudos to Captain Bates and his team.

I just returned from QM2's Caribbean cruise and would like to point out what a remarkable performance it was to get the ship to New York only a few minutes behind schedule. Coming up the east coast of the United States to New York from the Caribbean presents a real challenge for mariners because if there is a large storm ahead, there is no real choice but to plow through it. This time, there were waves washing across the windows of the Golden Lion and a 40 knot wind. Ships nearby were barely making headway. QM2 proceeded along at her service speed. The ship did move about but the public rooms were operating as normal and there were a considerable number of passengers out and about.

It should also be noted that the ship had had to do a helicopter medical evacuation off Puerto Rico, which required her to depart from her course at the start of her northward run. Thus, she was operating with the handicap of having to make up for that delay as well.

It looks like those who were fortunate enough to board yesterday are rocking and rolling southward. Happy that you enjoyed your trip--be safe in the snow at home!:)

It is this sort of situation that puts the QM2 ahead of the pack. I actually doubt if the QV could have been as stable . The QM2 also managed very well in the Atlantic storms in November.

Who is in charge on her present cruise, did they change Masters in New York?

Looking forward to reading any posting of this present cruise.

Lynn

It is this sort of situation that puts the QM2 ahead of the pack. I actually doubt if the QV could have been as stable

Not remotely - but then no other passenger ship on the planet would be as stable as QM2 - or be able to maintain speed. That's the pay-off - Queen Victoria, or other cruise ships, can sail safely through gales - they just have to slow down a lot (I think the slowest we got to last January on the Winter Crossing was 8 knots) - while QM2 could bash on at 20 knots plus - moving a bit, but forging ahead.

Hi Richard,

It was pleasure meeting on board twice, based on your view we booked Panama Canal cruise on QV March 3-18, 2011. When we finish cleaning up the mess created by the snow fall, I will browse your webiste Beyondships.com. Thanks again. Indeed QM2 is a great ship, I hope to do many more cruises on her in the future and she did very well despite of many hurdles on her way during her voyage. Kudos to Captain and his crews.

It is this sort of situation that puts the QM2 ahead of the pack. I actually doubt if the QV could have been as stable . The QM2 also managed very well in the Atlantic storms in November.

Who is in charge on her present cruise, did they change Masters in New York?

Looking forward to reading any posting of this present cruise.

Lynn

Hi Richard,

It was pleasure meeting on board twice, based on your view we booked Panama Canal cruise on QV March 3-18, 2011. When we finish cleaning up the mess created by the snow fall, I will browse your webiste Beyondships.com. Thanks again. Indeed QM2 is a great ship, I hope to do many more cruises on her in the future and she did very well despite of many hurdles on her way during her voyage. Kudos to Captain and his crews.

Thanks. Have a good cruise on QV.

I just returned from QM2's Caribbean cruise and would like to point out what a remarkable performance it was to get the ship to New York only a few minutes behind schedule.

...and kudos to Mr. Payne and Chantiers de l'Atlantique, Saint-Nazaire for extraordinary design and building.

Archived