Ruby Princess December 17 Review

LarryF

Larry, I was on the same 3 day cruise, and I have to say, I expected we'd miss Princess Cays. It was obvious. I agree, while the weather was not the best, the cruise definitely was as the ship is beautiful and there were lots to do onboard. I've cruised on the Crown Princess in Nov 2006, and both vessels are beauties. I have not been on the Emerald as yet. This was my second Princess cruise, and I am Elite by virtue of being a Princess Commodore travel agent. Here's hoping next time I'll get to Princess Cays. I have not been there before. At least, they tried to get us to Nassau, but those berths were full. I'm happy I got to getaway for the weekend on a luxury cruise ship.

dear Larry Thank you so much for this review,we are sailing her in 2 weeks on the ruby and lately reading the posts for her have been very dissapointing. we are platinum and cruised on the emerald princess loved every minute of it and was getting scared because we have two other couple with us and

your review sure calms me down a bit.Your experience on the ruby was exactly how our ten day emerald cruise was and hope Ruby will be the same thanks Laura

Laura, one thing I've learned is never take cruise reviews seriously. I remember reading horrible reviews of the Carnival Valor when that ship was new. I boarded for 7 glorious days and had the best of cruise experience. I was also on the same cruise as Larry, and I've already read some complaining about the Ruby. It was a great cruise, I said that and so did Larry, lol.

I have just read this review and loved it. It seemed honest and fair. I am so looking forward to our first ever cruise. We are on the Jan 9th sailing on Ruby. We leave home (NZ) early in the new year, to spend some time in Orlando first. Can't wait.:)

Thanks again!

Hello,

Larry wrote a review covering only some of the stuff that a cruise is all about, such as embarkation, food (what he ate), entertainment,and some others. And it is an honest and fair review except that...

Here is the rest of the story as Paul Harvey used to say. Please note that I have been to Auckland and I just cannot have two New Zealanders on a cruise without some guidance.

I have been on the Emerald Princess which is a sister ship to the Ruby but I have not been on the Ruby. It is my understanding that the ships are virtually the same so...

As the ship sails, stand at the highest point you can go and stand in the wind and watch the ship head out to sea.

Early during the cruise, go to deck 12 or 13 where the specialty restaurant Sabatini's is located as well as a truly nice lounge with an Italian name where there is a piano player, and drinks/snacks. Go through this lounge and outside. From here you will have a 180 degree panoramic view. During the cruise, go up here at least twice to see sunsets.

At least one night before dinner go up to this lounge, have a drink, and ask the piano player to play your favorite.

At least one night after dinner and a show, walk outside go up to a high point on the ship, and stand in the wind. Look at the moon and the stars and hopefully you will see some moonbeams too.

Go for long walks on sea days. The Boat or Promenade deck (as I recall) is partially covered so you are protected from the wind.

Each day have a laugh and smile with at least one crew member.Generally they are young people from all over the world, and especially from the Phillipines. And do not be surprised if you see some absolutely appalling behavior toward these young people by older Americans and some others. The crew really try their best to be helpful, friendly and courteous. But if somethingis not right, bring it to the attention of your cabin steward or dining room waiter right away (do not let it fester).

Particpate in formal nights. But you do not have to buy and/or bring a lot of clothes because a suit and tie or sports jacket will be fine for him. Formal nights add a little extra to a cruise and on Princess there is a tendency to participate on formal nights. There are self service laundries on the Ruby so doing a load of laundry is possible, lightening the packing.

And...a cruiseis not about the food, service,or entertainment or how fast you can get on the ship or off it. It is about traveling by ship, to interesting ports and the truly wonderful experience of being at sea.

What a refreshing review. You put into perspective how people can choose either to see the good or see the bad in things. Not everything is perfect all the time, but like you I choose to go with the flow. I "may perhaps" grumble a little along the way if something terrible should happen but when all said and done I have yet to have a bad vacation.

Thanks for sharing! :)

:D

Merry to Christmas to you and Walter too... what time to do you all get into Fort Launderdal Jan 8? We are arriving around 5:30 and staying at the Rennaisance

Dear Vickie wow can't believe its almost here; we get to fll about 10 am on the 8th and we are staying at the westin beach ft lauderdale. so excited and Very merry christmas to you too

Archived