How much do transfers cost?

mickym

I don't know about your area. I'm sure you can get that information from RCL or your travel agent. I'm certain it varies from port to port. Some airports are closer to the cruise ports than others.

Whatever you do, compare prices!! Our next cruise is out of San Juan. Puerto Rico has set taxi fares, so I was able to see exactly what a taxi ride would cost. It was actually LESS than the transfer cost, even adding the tip.

The plus side of transfers (assuming they work the same in all ports - they may not):

• When you get to the ship, your luggage will go straight from bus to ship. You don't need to check it in at the pier. That's nice.

The negative side of transfers:

• You may have to wait. On our last cruise, we waited at the airport for over an hour for more transfer passengers to arrive. When you get there, you want to get on the ship. It's frustrating to have to stand waiting at the airport.
  • If you have more than two people traveling, it's almost always less costly to take a cab. A cab charges by the TRIP. The transfer charges by the PERSON.

Note that, if you have an early return flight, you won't be able to use the transfer. You can, if you want to, take the transfer only ONE day and use a cab or other form of transportation the other direction.

The taxi from the San Diego airport to the pier is less than $10 ($9 something) and when you disembark at the end of your cruise there are shuttles lined up right outside the terminal, all of them going to the airport only and they are $5 per person.

We just cruised in November, so this should still be good pricing.

Transfer are nice going to the ship in most cases and as mentioned, your luggage is handled once you arrive, the downside, if returning to the airport and your late disembarking, that bus for your airlines, needs to wait on everyone else before it can leave. It happened to us in Seattle coming back from our 17 day Panama, and it was a 30 min drive to the airport, the bus driver told us he couldn't get us there in time so we got a cab. I called our TA to inquiary about reimbursement for Cab fare, she gave me number for Princess, and they ended up reimbursing us the intire Transfer fees we had paid.

In regards to San Diego, we took the Hotel Shuttle and it cost us $10 pp and you follow the Marina, maybe a 8 to 10 min ride.

Archived