Century cruise Dec 17st-21st

ellbon

This was my second Celebrity ship. The first being the Solstice last Jan. Starting on Dec 15th S FL had rain. The cruise sail away was moved indoors. The cruise critic people met for drinks outside under cover behind the Island Grill. Water was everywhere but we were dry. All the deck hands were mopping water all day by the pool-waste of time. from there it was on to sushi for several of us.

Myself and a couple from MASS had SS cabins on deck 12. The first thing I learned was that their cabin had water damage -mine was fine. At dinner that night learned all my table mates had SS cabins-two on my deck that had water damage. No one was offered free drinks or anything else. One couple had to move -their cabin was the worse one. Guess there were a few empty ones.

Key West-leave it as it poured. At one point or more Celebrity would not allow anyone on the gangplank due to the winds. We left over an hour late. The harbor master closed the port. I was happy enjoying my warm tile bed and steam room.

Later on Friday i had 12 or so people in my cabin enjoying a party. everyone came with a bottle. We had shrimp and other snacks. That party lasted two hours.

Cozumel- dry with some sun. later cool but dry. I enjoyed a nice tour that included Cava Antigua : : Excelencia en Tequila : : 2007 plus the new Discover Mexico building and grounds.. i wish we had more time there. We were dropped off in town. I stayed but the tour bus would pick you up.

Sunday- very windy and no rain. Could not eat breakfast outside. I slept i and went to the Captain's party. I really enjoyed the food and music. I wish the officers mingled more- oh well. Spent the afternoon in PG's again.

I loved my cabin and balcony. Only wish I could enjoy it more. The cruise before was sunny. My Butler was great. I know i will enjoy having one again.

I only went to one show -a comic- he was ok- some people hated him and the night before people walked out of that show-another comic. Celebrity needs to hire Sarge away from princess. That line gets very good comics.

I enjoyed Franklin at the Cova café. nice a mellow. The piano player-first time i have seem a dead piano bar.

food- enjoyed dinners-never had a main course.. always left full. dessert came from Cova at night.

In two weeks will be on the Equinox. Since i am in AQ Class I will enjoy the spa but will miss the Butler.

I would go back on a small ship but no more Dec to Feb cruises. I rather be on when it is warmer leaving FL.

Water was everywhere but we were dry.

Seems to be that CELEBRITY CENTURY need to visit Friends of Bill W to get "dry"...

I was on her two years ago:

2008-QV-0120-181-Lunch20-05.jpg

You can sit in the Spa Café INDOOR and it was not dry either...

See you in LESS than two weeks...

HeinBloed

This was my second Celebrity ship. The first being the Solstice last Jan. Starting on Dec 15th S FL had rain. The cruise sail away was moved indoors. The cruise critic people met for drinks outside under cover behind the Island Grill. Water was everywhere but we were dry. All the deck hands were mopping water all day by the pool-waste of time. from there it was on to sushi for several of us.

Myself and a couple from MASS had SS cabins on deck 12. The first thing I learned was that their cabin had water damage -mine was fine. At dinner that night learned all my table mates had SS cabins-two on my deck that had water damage. No one was offered free drinks or anything else. One couple had to move -their cabin was the worse one. Guess there were a few empty ones.

Key West-leave it as it poured. At one point or more Celebrity would not allow anyone on the gangplank due to the winds. We left over an hour late. The harbor master closed the port. I was happy enjoying my warm tile bed and steam room.

Later on Friday i had 12 or so people in my cabin enjoying a party. everyone came with a bottle. We had shrimp and other snacks. That party lasted two hours.

Cozumel- dry with some sun. later cool but dry. I enjoyed a nice tour that included Cava Antigua : : Excelencia en Tequila : : 2007 plus the new Discover Mexico building and grounds.. i wish we had more time there. We were dropped off in town. I stayed but the tour bus would pick you up.

Sunday- very windy and no rain. Could not eat breakfast outside. I slept i and went to the Captain's party. I really enjoyed the food and music. I wish the officers mingled more- oh well. Spent the afternoon in PG's again.

I loved my cabin and balcony. Only wish I could enjoy it more. The cruise before was sunny. My Butler was great. I know i will enjoy having one again.

I only went to one show -a comic- he was ok- some people hated him and the night before people walked out of that show-another comic. Celebrity needs to hire Sarge away from princess. That line gets very good comics.

I enjoyed Franklin at the Cova café. nice a mellow. The piano player-first time i have seem a dead piano bar.

food- enjoyed dinners-never had a main course.. always left full. dessert came from Cova at night.

In two weeks will be on the Equinox. Since i am in AQ Class I will enjoy the spa but will miss the Butler.

I would go back on a small ship but no more Dec to Feb cruises. I rather be on when it is warmer leaving FL.

Hi Ellbon !

Thanks for your informative review.

I agree with you about Sarge. I saw him on Princess last year, and he was fantastic. Other than Noodles Levenstein, who is outstanding, Celebrity needs to find some new comedians for their ships. It seems that comedians are becoming a rare commodity on Celebrity. Personally, I would like to see more of them, not less. I want to laugh on My Vacation !

Hi Ellbon !

I agree with you about Sarge. I saw him on Princess last year, and he was fantastic. Other than Noodles Levenstein, who is outstanding, Celebrity needs to find some new comedians for their ships. It seems that comedians are becoming a rare commodity on Celebrity. Personally, I would like to see more of them, not less. I want to laugh on My Vacation !

Thanks Andy

It was fun writing it.

The show room was never full -looked from the Martini bar. I found on the Solstice i enjoyed the production shows but otherwise went to the piano bar at night. The whole point of cruising is to laugh.. i know Celebrity needs help with their shows but this was really sad. glad the spa was open late two nights- used PG after Coz for about 90 minutes.

My wife and I were on this cruise too. We were also in a sky suite on deck 12. It was really raining hard in the afternoon, I heard that some cabins had water in them but we stayed dry.

This was the first time we had ever stayed in a suite and we really enjoyed it. Our butler, Wilfred, provided excellent service. The cabin was very nice and except for the bathroom, showed no signs of wear. The refit of a few years ago still looks very good.

Our first night we had dinner in Murano and it was as good as I remembered from our 2007 Norway cruise. We both had the goat cheese souffle and it was very good. It is true that they have changed the recipe, but the new one is good (if given a choice, I would prefer the old one). The lobster bisque did have lobster in it and they still had the cheese cart. The service was excellent.

The meals in the MDR were very good. One night however, the meal was not as expected. I had ordered pork medallions with dijon mustard sauce but what I got was large pieces of pork and a thin sauce. It was good, but not what I thought I was getting. On other nights I had Osso Bucco that was excellent and I had the sliced beef tenderloin that was cooked perfect and very tender. My wife had escargot 2 nights because she said it was so good.

We had breakfast in the MDR once and we both had the eggs benedict. They make some of the best eggs benedict I have ever had and they even brought extra sauce. The waffles were a big hit again and they were worth standing in line for. We ordered breakfasts in our suite on morning and the food was hot and very good.

We attended the Captain's Club party which was held early in the afternoon. They provided a complete buffet lunch including crepes for dessert. There were plenty of drinks - wine, beer, and some specialty cocktails. We got to meet the captain and some of the senior officers. They had all the entertainment there so we got a sample of it - more on that later. I think we prefer the party to be in the evening as before, but they really tried to put on a good party and they did succeed.

Now for a few minor glitches. Because we were in a suite, we were supposed to have priority luggage delivery. Well, that didn't happen. I didn't get my bag until late in the afternoon and I barely had time to change for our dinner in Murano (we had 6:00 reservations). One gentleman showed up at Murano in shorts and sneakers with a suit jacket because he did not get all his luggage.

The entertainment on this cruise left a lot to be desired. The first evening we went to the piano bar and the singer was just ok. On subsequent visits, his program just wasn't that good. The 2 live bands they had were not that great for dancing, so we just went up to the disco and that was better. We didn't get much of a chance to hear the 4 guys that sang because they only perfomed for 15 minutes at a time and only a few times each night. The string quartet seemed pretty good but we missed them too.

We were also supposed to get priority debarkation but that didn't work out to good either. On previous Celebrity cruises when we stayed in Concierge class, we were sent to one of the small theatres, served a light breakfast and were off in a flash. This time they put us in one of the large lounges and we had to wait for quite a while with hundreds of other people. Once we got off the shiop, we had trouble finding our luggage because they had placed it on the wrong carousel. And finally, the ship docked in a different place from where we had left and we had quite a walk back to the parking garage.

Still, these were all minor points on a cruise that was very good. We still prefer Celebrity over the other cruise lines we have been on and we are booked on the Equinox TA in April

Dave

I am sorry that you did not post on the RC as you missed two good parties. also you must of been on the Starboard side of the ship.. different butler.

the worse cabin of water damage was 1226 and 1221.

bathroom- the door hit the toilet and i felt it was a pain. i am left handed and kept the T.P. somewhere else the whole cruise.having it and the towels behind the door was not helpful.

the piano player was bad-.. franklin was good. i tried the lounge to dance but found i was getting the same motion there that i got at dinner Friday night. never seasick but dinner was hard to sit thru that night.

as far as leaving the ship I was in Cova or the library and walked off about 10 am and took the 1120 train back to WPB.

Robin, interesting what you said about the TP. Both my wife and are left-handed and we did the same thing as you. And I agree about the bathroom door - definitely a design flaw. Yes, we were on the starboard side in 1222.

We thought about coming to your party, but I guess we just weren't in the mood that night. We are kind of private people. Maybe next time.

Sorry the weather did not work out for you Robin. I was on Century last year and had an aft suite and for some reason the whole cruise my electric power kept going off. They would come out and reset a breaker and that was it. Butler service is a nice perk but not when you have no power it kind of takes the fun out of a suite. A cruise ship that leaks water is not acceptable regardless of conditions. Maybe they need to retire the Century.

Robin, interesting what you said about the TP. Both my wife and are left-handed and we did the same thing as you. And I agree about the bathroom door - definitely a design flaw. Yes, we were on the starboard side in 1222.

We thought about coming to your party, but I guess we just weren't in the mood that night. We are kind of private people. Maybe next time.

everyone that came had fun. party lasted 2 hours- time to wash my hair. i understand private - one couple showed very late but at least they stopped by. we had lots to drink and eat. people walked by and looked in. yes! i had the door open until someone was cold. it was never cold in cabin.

oh my dinner table was 10 and 5 were left handed.

Sorry the weather did not work out for you Robin. I was on Century last year and had an aft suite and for some reason the whole cruise my electric power kept going off. They would come out and reset a breaker and that was it. Butler service is a nice perk but not when you have no power it kind of takes the fun out of a suite. A cruise ship that leaks water is not acceptable regardless of conditions. Maybe they need to retire the Century.

I did ont let the weather ruin my trip- i enjoyed the balcony but not on Sunday. i used the spa two hours a day. i used the bathtub and enjoyed the capt party. but i would love to have a tan before our Jan cruise. means tanning bed for 2 weeks.

as far as the water works iindoors i would of been asking for OBC.. no oneseemd too.strange.

Hi Ellbon !

Both comedians on Century in March and Equinox in November were very funny imo, but I think comedy is just as subjective as food! I preferred the comedy to the dreaded Broadway revues shows.

Thanks for the review. Glad to hear Franklin (from Chicago) is back on Century. He was one of the highlights of our cruise. Did you try the Islands Bistro; we really enjoyed it! How was the condition of the ship?

he was the only person or music i listen to in 4 nights. will be on ship until April. also he now owns a place in FL for summer months. I never eat in the buffet. I did the grill once and the spa café once. The capt club lunch was Sunday and Coz i was o tour. got a bagel the last morning there and took it to Cova to have with tea.

Both comedians on Century in March and Equinox in November were very funny imo, but I think comedy is just as subjective as food! I preferred the comedy to the dreaded Broadway revues shows.

I doubt they were the same as march.. bad is bad. Equinox should be the same. I love the Broadway shows. Only thing I did on Solstice was the shows and the late night comic.. one was good and one was bad.

Archived