Live Silver Spirit Maiden Holiday Voyage Barcelona to Lisbon

DebbieH103

Craig, where did you get a passenger list? We have not received this.

Anyway, we did the room service,and I ate like no tomorrow since I had about 10 bites (not counting the cookies) at the Morocco school. I ordered a mix of the regular room service and tonight's restaurant menu.

Todd is back in bed. It really is not cold symptoms he has.

Well, back to the tour-we saw the outside of the mosque. Todd's tour went inside. I have not yet viewed his pictures. We also stopped for some other local sites, but mostly this is just a city that has not got that much interesting architecture.

The cooking school did not allow us hands on, and we did not get the certificate, but it was worth doing to try the local dishes prepared in an authentic way and to mix a little with the local people.

They took us to a central market where we saw more fish and fruits like yesterday in Cadiz. The last stop was at a spice place where we learned about herbal medicine and also local spices for food. We were given an "opportunity" to buy, and all of us did.

At our shopping stop, it was OK, but then another tour group came in, and it got crowded and then a few of us got a litle gauged on the price when they started fuzzy math. It was maybe a 10% consistent gauge with a few of us who stuck sternly to our math.

Our team came in 3rd in the trivia today, our second time for 3rd. We have placed every day but one. There is not much opportunity for points since the weather is not holding for shuffleboard and they are not doing golf putting. They will give points for Name that Tune after the local Morocco show tonight.

There are a number of passengers staying on until Lisbon. Some of you will meet people who have been here since day 1.

The laundry room on 6 is quite popular. They do have soap in a bucket there. We have not got in to do ours, but we really have not tried too hard. It has been full at all the times I have looked in, though.

I have already seen a couple of huge carpet stains here on six that were not there last night. I think they will do something about it, and I don't know what happened there.

Craig....enjoy your posts. Can you do us a favor and find a tape to measure the square footage of your suite? Also, can you ask what brand of chocolate syrup is being used? I know you're in the final hours of current cruise, but.......

Craig....enjoy your posts. Can you do us a favor and find a tape to measure the square footage of your suite? Also, can you ask what brand of chocolate syrup is being used? I know you're in the final hours of current cruise, but.......

My tape measure only measures in cubits so I don't think that'll do much good. As for the syrup...let's just go with Bosco. :D

I put a bunch of pics of Casablanca up, again not yet in the right folder. I am going to have to log off soon. The orchids just fell on me, and things are falling down in here. Furniture slid all across the deck outside LT at breakfast.

We got to Tangier and the harbor was closed due to these winds. Why on earth they came here, I don't know, but I hope it calms down soon. I have never been so hot and queezy. I feel immobilized.

The sun is shining now, so I pray we are about out of it. I don't know how we could find out. They said they are updating us tomorrow!!!

I enjoyed the music from the DJ last night, and I recommend people check it out in the Panorama. I wish more people had been there, as I quite liked it. I am really enjoying staying up at night and checking out the music on the ship.

Here's a pic of a freighter that passed by us. You can see the effects of the waves on her...so imagine what they're doing to l'il ol' us?

Also...a rainbow!

I'm actually faring pretty welll. It's really lovely out ('cept for the waves!) so I've been sitting on the balcony. Even on deck 7 I'm getting spray from the sea as the ship plows her bow.

CRW_3056.jpg.f6ec888dc2aa6d650932ac0d259963b8.jpg

CRW_3069.jpg.eb998d72930722479dfdf9264134d06a.jpg

. The orchids just fell on me, and things are falling down in here. Furniture slid all across the deck outside LT at breakfast.

We got to Tangier and the harbor was closed due to these winds.

So you folks are having an unexpected "sea trial". Is this ship handling the waves better or worse than the others?

I echo others in thanking those aboard the Silver Spirit for their many detailed reports on their experiences on this maiden voyage. Wish you had better weather, tho. Only whets our appetite for our T/A crossing! We leave for Lisbon in the morning (dreading the looong flight from LAX to Europe!) to board her on the 3rd.

For those boarding in Lisbon, remember the "meet & mingle" at 7 pm in the Lobby Bar at the Marriott. See you there!

Gary & Carol

Hmmmmm, do I detect a bit of dry humor here? Can't wait to discover the origin of Shadow's chocolate syrup. Hope it is fresher than the measurement.

Yes, you are catching on. We could only wish for Bosco on SS. Thanks to Craig for reminding me it still exists.....in very limited distribution.

While we're on the subject of measurements (well nearly) I'd be very grateful if someone could clarify how wide the double bed is in the Veranda cabins. I know the brochure etc say 'queen size' but I suspect (hope) that that is a US size and not the same as here in the UK. In UK beds, queen size is only 4'6" wide and king is 5'0". At home we have a Superking which is 6'0" ie 2 x 3'0" singles fixed together as in many hotel rooms - even in UK! And I'm desperately hoping the cabin bed is not smaller or I could be in trouble with DW :o

BTW I can just about cope with metric but no cubits please!

We don't have measurements for the newbuild Spirit, but we do have tape measured data for the basic cabins of the Shadow/Whisper, see following link

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=112477

The bed was nice and moderately soft, the mattress was 78" long and 66" wide, with a 11.5" clearance under the bed for luggage storage (usually not necessary because of ample closet space).

You can split the bed into two, each of 78" long and 33" wide. In metric 2 x 84cm x 198cm. Hope this helps.

While we're on the subject of measurements (well nearly) I'd be very grateful if someone could clarify how wide the double bed is in the Veranda cabins. I know the brochure etc say 'queen size' but I suspect (hope) that that is a US size and not the same as here in the UK. In UK beds, queen size is only 4'6" wide and king is 5'0". At home we have a Superking which is 6'0" ie 2 x 3'0" singles fixed together as in many hotel rooms - even in UK! And I'm desperately hoping the cabin bed is not smaller or I could be in trouble with DW :o

BTW I can just about cope with metric but no cubits please!

Is the UK bed 4'6" wide called queen or double ? In North America the queen bed is 5' wide, as far as I know.

The bed was nice and moderately soft, the mattress was 78" long and 66" wide, with a 11.5" clearance under the bed for luggage storage (usually not necessary because of ample closet space).

You can split the bed into two, each of 78" long and 33" wide. In metric 2 x 84cm x 198cm. Hope this helps.

Thanks for that, meow. It seems that, as I suspected queen size is not the same in US & UK systems and presumably the Spirit beds will be the same queen size.

As it's only 6" less than at home, DW might not even notice - just don't tell her anyone!;)

Is the UK bed 4'6" wide called queen or double ? In North America the queen bed is 5' wide, as far as I know.

You are right, in the UK/Ireland a double bed is 4'6" a Queen is 5" and a king is 6 feet wide, In the USA you can get a Super King whick I think is 7" which is not common in these parts. Have had them a few times when upgraded to a suite in some hotels, Very nice.:)

Looking forward to hearing reports about the TA, my uncle and his bridge partner are heading to Lisbon today, ready to board on Sunday.

Hope all ENJOY:):)

Here on the continent we have mattresses 80cm wide and 90cm wide. Two 80cm, side by side with one bottom sheet are called a Queen size by some people...total width 160cm (and single mattresses are available in this width). "King" is two of the 90cm wide mattresses, with a single bottom sheet. "Letto matrimoniale" in Italian, "grand lit" in French. You cannot buy (at least, I have never seen!!) a single mattress of 180cm wide.

I think the beds are most likely two 80cm wide mattresses, made up either as one bed or twins. That at any rate is what the beds on Regent are and these are very common in Europe.

You are right, in the UK/Ireland a double bed is 4'6" a Queen is 5" and a king is 6 feet wide, In the USA you can get a Super King whick I think is 7" which is not common in these parts.

I have checked several UK bed manufacturers and resellers and found that the following are the commonly used terms:

Single 90 x 190cm = 3' x 6'3"

Double 135 x 190cm = 4'6" x 6'3"

Kingsize 150 x 200cm = 5' x 6'6"

Super kingsize 180 x 200cm = 6' x 6'6"

There is no real agreement on Queensize but the 7' width is sometimes known as Emperor. Thanks to all who contributed to this excursion!

Its a lovely New Year's Day aboard the Spirit. I'm back among the living now...I've been bedbound for the past 2 days, sick as can be. My mistake was waiting too long to take the tablets offered at the front desk for this...if there's a "next time" I'll take them early on to help ward off these problems.

Lovely lunch today at the pool grill. I ordered off the room service menu (soup and an omelette) and the order was cheerfully taken and quickly dispatched.

Now I'm in the Panorama Lounge where one table is playing scrabble, and about 4 other tables are occupied with people chatting, etc.

Lovely day--we've anchored in Lisbon, waiting for a berth to open, then will pull in and dock.

The ship handled as well as can be expected for a category 2 force hurricane! Its just that I didn't.

I echo others in thanking those aboard the Silver Spirit for their many detailed reports on their experiences on this maiden voyage. Wish you had better weather, tho. Only whets our appetite for our T/A crossing! We leave for Lisbon in the morning (dreading the looong flight from LAX to Europe!) to board her on the 3rd.

For those boarding in Lisbon, remember the "meet & mingle" at 7 pm in the Lobby Bar at the Marriott. See you there!

Gary & Carol

Just caught your greeting prior to shutting down -- I dread what I hope will not be a long journey through security at LAX today! After that -- it's finally here -- been a long wait but from what we see and read it will exceed expections.

Looking forward to meeting you tomorrow.

Mary Ann:D

Wil, sorry you have been so sick. I was seasick for two days, too but did get to go out some at times, and Todd got sick from whatever he ate on the tour at the Hilton (nothing wrong with it, just his immune system was already weak), so he has struggled and only eaten a few bites for a couple of days.

The dinner last night was nice, but again sea bass for me. I had lovely fois gras, though.

The party was fun at STARS. I made it till 1:30 and Todd until 12:15. I put a few pics there and from the ship out to the Lisbon shore on the blog.

They did handle, OK, though I don't know why they did not realize we should have stayed away from Tangier. Anyway, that is all over, and we are just sitting in calm waters.

Off to trivia. You can read about our day on the luxurycruiseandland.com blog.

Archived