Dream Not Such A Dream

RICKO

After all the very bad reviews being posted, and they all can't be Carnival haters. They all addresss the same things, bad food and very slow service on (Lido.) Not enough staff to serve or clean up on (Lido.) Not enough lines open for number of people (Lido.) See a pattern here. Second the smell of sewage on ship mentioned in 12 reviews, even if it is just one whif you wont forget it unless you have already stuck your head in a sewer pipe. Lines at all the shows of up to 30 min to even try and get in 10 reviews. Now I'll give you my bad news we are booked for Feb. and honestly we are ardent Carnival cruisers this will be are 10 and we are wondering is this really where we want to be on are first Platinum cruise.

After all the very bad reviews being posted, and they all can't be Carnival haters. They all addresss the same things, bad food and very slow service on (Lido.) Not enough staff to serve or clean up on (Lido.) Not enough lines open for number of people (Lido.) See a pattern here. Second the smell of sewage on ship mentioned in 12 reviews, even if it is just one whif you wont forget it unless you have already stuck your head in a sewer pipe. Lines at all the shows of up to 30 min to even try and get in 10 reviews. Now I'll give you my bad news we are booked for Feb. and honestly we are ardent Carnival cruisers this will be are 10 and we are wondering is this really where we want to be on are first Platinum cruise.

With that kind of attitude, you most likely won't enjoy! We also are sailing on the Dream in Feb.. I'm glad for all the reviews. For example, I know we should eat breakfast / lunch either early or late to possibly avoid the lines mentioned in the reviews. Again, I appreciate all the post...both positive and negative.

With all the above being said and as we have on all our Carnival, RCI and NCR cruises...me and mine will have a blast on our Feb cruise on the Dream! :D:D:D

We were on the Dream's transatlantic sailing with a group of 10. We loved it! The ship was beautiful and we have an awesome time! Because it is a new ship they do have some things to work out. Our dining in the main dining room was slow but good. The asst waiter wasn't there for most of the cruise and the backup replacements weren't knowledgeable. That said....we werre on vacation and had a wonderful time! I would sail on Dream again. Beautiful ship! We didn't experience the sewage problems or anything

Ricko, you're right. I expect the entire ship will smell like a toilet, the food won't be as good as McDonald's and you'll never see any of the shows.

As I'm a nice guy I'll glad to take one for the team. You send me your docs for the Dream and I'll send you mine for the Ecstasy. Deal?

I promise not to drink too much champagne at the brunch or too much BBQ at the Lanai...

:D

Relax, you'll have a great time.

:)

We sailed on the 9 day Dec. 3rd sailing and had a wonderful time. The ship is beautiful and I didn't think there were any more lines (for anything) than on any other ship sailing almost to capacity. The Lido area certainly gets busy during peak lunch times but what Lido buffet area does not? Be sure to try out the Pasta Bar on deck 11, it was great and once you hand in your order they bring it to you.

Though most, not all, shows were heavily attended I did not see any "lines". BTW, the "Dancing in the Streets" show is FANTASTIC.

The crew, without exception, was terrific......always smiling and helpful. If you can, take the "Behind the Fun Tour"......you'll see all the places you wondered about....from the million dollar sheet folding machines on Deck B (below the water line) to the Engine Control Room, backstage in the Encore Theatre, the Galley, the Crew Lounge AND the Bridge where you'll meet the Captain!! Kind of expensive at $95 but, in my opinion, worth every dollar......you get quite a few gifts and photos!

The very best part is that on your sailing in February the CD will be John Heald. If you haven't met him you're in for a treat. He is not only Carnival's Senior Cruise Director and Brand Ambassador, he is SUPER funny and always trying to make sure everyone is having a good time. You'll be in good hands.

I hope you enjoy your cruise and I look forward to your comments when you return.

I have very low expectations for our Dream cruise in Jan after reading the reviews. I was really super exicited about the cruise when I booked it as this is a special cruise for us. ( I was fired 2 hours before our last vacation, also the day before my birthday. But thanks to a hidden recording device and much support, I got my job back after 3 weeks and got to keep my severence which I used for this cruise.) I know there will be a lot of people on the ship (hopefully not to many kids which I hate.) I don't like the idea of standing in line for 20 mins for food, or 30-40 mins to see a show, or fighting through a crowd to get to a table. so I am going with low expectations ( Belive it or not if this cruise is really bad, we will not cruise again until we can afford a nice cruise line), deep inside I hope that the cruise will be great (I know a cruise is what you make it and I do know how to have fun.), guess I will find out in a month.

tsk tsk tsk.........many times I've read bad reviews and then went on the ship and it was AWESOME in everyway.......Since a very small precentage of cruisers all over are even on cruisecritic and even a smaller percentage on the actual ships......you're not getting a fair report...so I put no stock in the bad reviews......because EVERY time (that's 100%) I've read bad reviews on this board and then sailed that ship myself....I find it to be the opposite of the reviews........and what's sad is I've known people from here that were on the same sailing as I and came back to report bad reviews that I never saw and I was around them on the ship alot.......lol...The few I've seen do this had bad attitudes the whole week......so have a great attitude and go have fun!:D

On one sailing (our Dec 3rd) there were 3,804 folks onboard.

The only time I waited a long period of time for food on Lido was on the last day when I decided (just before it closed) that I wanted to try the Mongolian Wok.

We always found a clean table.

In the Main Dining Room, we had the 6pm seating. I will tell you that dining is not an "experience" for us. I eat because I have to to live. We usually do not stay for dessert.

We were on time every night and were out by 6:45 to 7:00 on most nights...the latest we left was 7:15.

Never smelled any sewage odors.... but since we have cruised so much (on cruise ships and small yachts) .... I understand that a "whiff" now that then is not uncommon. 20 years ago, you would spend $500,000 on a 60' Cheoy Lee yacht and you will still get a "whiff" every now and then.....

Our Carnival Dream was as good or better than any other Carnival cruise we have been on.

If the 4 Buffets have lines that are to long, try the Pasta....if that line is to long, try the Indian (Starboard Aft outside by the Aft pool)...if that line is to long, try the pizza, if that is to long, try the burrito bar....if that line is to long, try the deli....if that line is to long, try the Monogolian Wok....if that line is to long....try the grill (hamburgers, hot dogs, chicken)... if it is a Sea Day....go the Main Dining Room for lunch..... if all that fails....order Room Service.

A cruise is what you make it and no cruise (on any cruise line) is going to be perfect.

But IMHO (for the dollar) Carnival has the best product for the value around..... I tell folks...it isn't 5 star...but you will get your money's worth!

I've always been of the mindset that if you go into something with an open mind, you will have a good time. Don't allow reviews to cloud your own personal judgement of the experience.

I have a bit of a theory too - it seems that certain Carnival ships are on a bit of a hit list right now (including the one I'll be sailing soon). Just wondering if people see a negative comment or two and then everyone starts to add to these comments until it seems like the ship is just one disaster after the next?

I have no doubt that any cruiseline takes all the comments to heart (when constructive) in order to put out the best possible product it can. Nothing is ever perfect so I would never expect a cruiseship to be either. As long as I know the company is trying to rectify issues or improve on the good stuff, I'm OK! Yes, things can (and do) go wrong but how you react to things can make or break your vacation. Don't sweat the small stuff :D

Enjoy your cruise!!!

Miriam

10-12 bad reviews versus how many passengers? Let's see, the Dream holds 3600+ passengers. If she's been going out once a week since September 29, that's like 6 trips so .... we're talking 21600+ passengers and only 10-12 have found their way here to vent their spleen. My math is shaky, but we're talking about 0.00055% of passengers.

Just a little something to keep things in perspective.

tsk tsk tsk.........many times I've read bad reviews and then went on the ship and it was AWESOME in everyway.......Since a very small precentage of cruisers all over are even on cruisecritic and even a smaller percentage on the actual ships......you're not getting a fair report...so I put no stock in the bad reviews......because EVERY time (that's 100%) I've read bad reviews on this board and then sailed that ship myself....I find it to be the opposite of the reviews........and what's sad is I've known people from here that were on the same sailing as I and came back to report bad reviews that I never saw and I was around them on the ship alot.......lol...The few I've seen do this had bad attitudes the whole week......so have a great attitude and go have fun!:D

Randy, you are 100% right on with these comments!

I read this board WAYY more than I post but some of these people are nuts! Go and have a good time... You are already having a bad time and you are still 50 days or so away! We are on the Dream Superbowl sailing in February (obviously) and I CANNOT WAIT! We even have a balcony on deck 6 directly above the Lanai overhang and I still cannot wait to sit out there... Can't see the ocean looking straight down? Look straight ahead! There is enough of it to go around...

I love when people complain about 15-20 minutes to get food! It's ok you will survive I promise... What about when you go to a restaurant and you wait to be seated? That's ok though? How about Disney World when you wait 2 hours to go on one ride...

The Dream has got AWESOME reviews and I cannot wait to go on it... Just like a new car before you can really push the engine you should drive normal for a few weeks... Same thing with a NEW cruise... Needs time to break in the staff and all...

If you don't want to go please forward me your tickets and your bar coupons! TY!

If you go into anything with a negative attitude you will probably have a negative experience.

I have had some issues on Carnival cruises before, but who doesn't. No company is perfect, and no company will get 100% positive reviews.

What you need to do is put things in perspective and even if you have a bad experience or two, it doesn't need to ruin your entire week long vacation.

The problem is some people let things get to them and it in effect ruins their entire vacation.

I did the Transatlanic crossing in Nov from Rome to New York. The DREAM was great. I loved it and so did all the other Cruise Critic folks that were in our group. My only problem was in New York - my luggage was the LAST off the ship. I almost missed my flight. But the ship was great. Great food and great service. Our cabin was on deck 8 with great views.

I read this board WAYY more than I post but some of these people are nuts! Go and have a good time... You are already having a bad time and you are still 50 days or so away! We are on the Dream Superbowl sailing in February (obviously) and I CANNOT WAIT! We even have a balcony on deck 6 directly above the Lanai overhang and I still cannot wait to sit out there... Can't see the ocean looking straight down? Look straight ahead! There is enough of it to go around...

I love when people complain about 15-20 minutes to get food! It's ok you will survive I promise... What about when you go to a restaurant and you wait to be seated? That's ok though? How about Disney World when you wait 2 hours to go on one ride...

The Dream has got AWESOME reviews and I cannot wait to go on it... Just like a new car before you can really push the engine you should drive normal for a few weeks... Same thing with a NEW cruise... Needs time to break in the staff and all...

If you don't want to go please forward me your tickets and your bar coupons! TY!

totally agree...especially with the highlighted part :D

I have very low expectations for our Dream cruise in Jan after reading the reviews. I was really super exicited about the cruise when I booked it as this is a special cruise for us. ( I was fired 2 hours before our last vacation, also the day before my birthday. But thanks to a hidden recording device and much support, I got my job back after 3 weeks and got to keep my severence which I used for this cruise.) I know there will be a lot of people on the ship (hopefully not to many kids which I hate.) I don't like the idea of standing in line for 20 mins for food, or 30-40 mins to see a show, or fighting through a crowd to get to a table. so I am going with low expectations ( Belive it or not if this cruise is really bad, we will not cruise again until we can afford a nice cruise line), deep inside I hope that the cruise will be great (I know a cruise is what you make it and I do know how to have fun.), guess I will find out in a month.

If you are unable to adjust your precruise negative attitude, I think that you have already set yourself up to have a miserable time. I hope that I am wrong and you do have a great cruise.

I am new here and you can attack me and call me a troll if you like, but I am not. Thanks for your post RICKO. I will be on the Dream this February 13th and have been reading some of these posts and have been freaking out!! I found this site about a month or so ago and one of the first post I read was about noise above someone's room, moving chairs around and a pizza place if I remember correctly (on the Dream). Guess what? I am on level 10 so I was getting sick to my stomach reading it. I looked up my room and thank God I have rooms above me on level 11, which everyone said is what you want.

I have cruised 3 times, but never on a Carnival. But for $2,600 and change out the door (inside room), I couldn't pass it up, especially on a new ship. You guys can get on the OP for his post and say to send you his tickets and all that (even in jest), but I for one am glad he posted and it prompted me to register and chime in.

A lot of you know the ropes and kindly share it with everyone else....thank you! But please realize that a lot of us don't know as much and get bummed out when we read a negative post (or several) on a ship that we are sailing on. Sorry, but that is normal. I have never had a bad time on any of the 3 cruise ships that I've been on and intend to have nothing but fun on this one, but please don't blame us newbies for being a little bummed out when there is more than one thread talking about the smell of raw sewage drifting around. Unless it is the same poster, which it doesn't appear to be, there has to be "some" truth to it, right?

Cheers, all the best, and have a great day & a Merry Christmas!!!

Liz

I have never had to wait in a line for 15-20mins for food in my life. Look at where I live, I'm from Maine, we do not have lines. if you also notice I hate kids so of course I've never been to Disney World and lets be honest who in thier right mind would wait 2 hours to go on a ride?

I have never had to wait in a line for 15-20mins for food in my life. Look at where I live, I'm from Maine, we do not have lines. if you also notice I hate kids so of course I've never been to Disney World and lets be honest who in thier right mind would wait 2 hours to go on a ride?

OK, I read your post three times....what is your point, other than not liking lines....?

Right on! I don't understand why having to wait for food on a cruise is so horrible! We're on vacation and should be relaxing. If you have to wait in line to get food, get to know the people around you to pass the time. Every cruise I've been on has been perfect because I have made it so.

Pat

I had also posted on another thread about this but I am just shocked at what people are saying about this ship. I just got off the 12/12 sailing and I really believe I must have been on a different ship. This was my first Carnival cruise but 5th overall and I would have to say my most enjoyable.

The biggest lines we had were maybe 10 minutes at the deli or late night pizza. We walked right up for the burrito, pasta and regular buffet stations. Had room service breakfast delivered right on time every morning. Waited a half hour for room service lunch one day. Found the food selection and quality to be very good - I like a good meal as much as the next person so I am not sure what all of this complainers usually eat that this food was so awful.

Never noticed this smell people talk of so I am not sure what they are talking about.

We had very pleasurable carnival excursions at each port and got on and off the ship with ease at each stop.

Room steward Lito on deck 6 aft was really great, always around and on top of everything. We did your time dining on deck 4 crimson i believe and was great, got the same crew and table for 2 every night.

Mini golf and slides were very fun. Trvia was also fun. The comedy shows were great, really funny. And yes, there were lines of 30 minutes plus if you chose to stand in line for that long, people did because everyone has to be first. There was no reason to at all!! My husband and I would sit at Sams and enjoy some drinks while watching all these people try to break down the barricade at the encore lounge when they did not let you in until showtime because the other show had to let out. Once it did and they let everyone in we would let everyone that stood in line for no reason file in and then we would leisurely walk in and grab a table because there were always plenty left.

We did notice some shaking when the ship was docking at the ports but we were all the way in the aft and we experienced this on Disney as well so it did not seem odd to us.

I think a lot of people just suffer from a "me first" mentality. have to be first, cant wait for anything. Like I said, my husband and I really enjoyed this cruise. Sorry to ramble on but if anyone has any questions go ahead and ask and I would be happy to answer. Hope everyone enjoys their cruise, we sure did!

HI--RICKO---WE JUST RETURNED ON THE DREAM--OCT 3rd AND ALSO SAILED HER FROM ROME ON THE MED CRUISE-AWESOME SHIP--AND DONT BELIEVE EVERYTHING YOU HEAR---WE ENJOYED THE FOOD---AND FROM THE LOOKS OF EVERYONE ELSE---PILING THEIR PLATES HI AND WIFE--SO DID THEY---THE SHOWS WERE GREAT--YES, CROWDED--BUT GET THERE EARLY--NO PROBLEM---THE CREW FRIENDLY==CABIN STEWARD-INTRODUCED HIMSELF--AS DID THE TABLE CREW. WE HAVE JUST COMPLETED OUR --40th CRUISE ONJ CARNIVAL AND ALL THE GIFTS ARE TRUE---AND GET BETTER----SO DONT WORRY ABOUT THE COMPLAINERS---HAPPY SAILING--------

Archived