Carnival Spirit-class 8M Extended Aft Review

NCTribeFan

I just returned on Monday from an 8-day Western cruise on Carnival Miracle in cabin 4230, which is an 8M extended balcony aft cabin (next door to the highly desired suite with the big wrap-around balcony).

My only previous balcony cabin had been on Miracle in December 2007, cabin 7192, which is an extended side cabin between two cabin decks.

While I enjoyed that cabin, I wasn't sure that on a 7-day cruise with only 2 sea days that I would again spend the few extra dollars for that over a regular side balcony.

I booked this recent Miracle cruise 14 months in advance because I knew I wanted an aft balcony because of the 4 sea days.

I had originally booked 5297 on Upper Deck, but after reading some comments from folks about how very hot it was on those aft decks and how the railing and side dividers were sloped very far back, I decided to move down to Main Deck, where there was more overhang from above and the deck space was more useable.

The cabin itself is the usual 185 sq ft Carnival cabin. I sail with DD, so we have the beds separated. There is the sofa, which we use to pile up stuff.

2773882790102755439S600x600Q85.jpg

I've had motion sickness issues all my life, but added ginger root to my regime before that prior Miracle sailing and was convinced I was cured. Unfortunately, I still have had some problems, but the ginger plus 1/2 bonine on occasion has kept the problems to a minimum.

It was blazing hot on the balcony before we left port. Really hot! Made me glad that I had moved from the Upper deck.

2345478020102755439S600x600Q85.jpg

There is little wind back there, compared to the blasting wind on the side balcony. That's nice when you're moving and in the shade, but not as nice when you're docked and in the sun.

As far as movement in the cabin, our 2nd sea day was a rough one. So rough that although I didn't actually feel nauseated, I had no appetite, so I knew something wasn't right! I mean, for me to not want to eat a full meal every 2-1/2 hours on a cruise ship means something is wrong! I did go to dinner that night and it was obvious that I wasn't the only one suffering, as the dining room wasn't even half full.

There was quite a lot of motion back there. I expected some, but wasn't really expecting the lateral, shaking motion. On the rough day, there was considerable up & down, which wasn't surprising, considering we had 10'+ seas.

The wake is very loud. I did not try to keep the balcony door open at night.

http://travel.webshots.com/video/3021756840102755439KLzJTP

The only noise we heard while in the cabin was from the singing waiters during the early dining service, which wasn't a problem. In fact, it was rather funny.

It was a very convenient location for dining, but was along walk to the shops and forward lounges, but given the calories consumed, I needed as much walking and stair climbing as possible.

But you just can't beat the view from back there.

2358434530102755439S600x600Q85.jpg

Ships lined up to enter the Panama Canal.

2027454580102755439S600x600Q85.jpg

Sunrise as we approach Limon, Costa Rica

2781645310102755439S600x600Q85.jpg

Leaving Belize

Archived