Coffee

takemewithyou

Coffee!

Oh yes, I love it and I need it!

It was really bad on my recent Transatlantic on Journey. Undrinkable!

I noted it on my comment card. I hope Azamara improves it. Please!

I hope some one from Azamara reads this....I just read a review of our cruise and some one else noticed it, too.

I know many cruisers made note of it on the comment cards. It was even worse than Celebrity's - if you can imagine that!

I tried it in every venue - MDR, Windows, specialty restaurants, etc. I even paid for some in the Cova Cafe and that was even worse! You could stand a spoon up in it - it was so strong! I even tried diluting it with hot water, but it didn't help! People speculated it was liquid coffee, rather than brewed coffee so they don't have grounds to deal with - disposal issues.

It was a great cruise....BUT

Please, Azamara, can you get some different coffee???:)

Coffee!

Oh yes, I love it and I need it!

It was really bad on my recent Transatlantic on Journey. Undrinkable!

I noted it on my comment card. I hope Azamara improves it. Please!

I hope some one from Azamara reads this....I just read a review of our cruise and some one else noticed it, too.

I know many cruisers made note of it on the comment cards. It was even worse than Celebrity's - if you can imagine that!

I tried it in every venue - MDR, Windows, specialty restaurants, etc. I even paid for some in the Cova Cafe and that was even worse! You could stand a spoon up in it - it was so strong! I even tried diluting it with hot water, but it didn't help! People speculated it was liquid coffee, rather than brewed coffee so they don't have grounds to deal with - disposal issues.

It was a great cruise....BUT

Please, Azamara, can you get some different coffee???:)[/quo

We had talks with the Food Beverage Manager on our October cruise on The Journey (and it is bad on The Quest also!) and my understanding was they were 'doing something' about it! Sounds as if they have and it's worse:eek: I hope it's sorted for our next cruise on The Quest!

Happy New Year.

Now we are getting somewhere! When a person says coffee is good or terrible, you have to know what they like. I had read many comments about poor coffee on Quest (and Journey) before our cruise, but I could not determine exactly what the problems were.

We tend to like strong, mellow coffee (more the European style). The coffee in Discoveries (MDR) was terrible (in the opinion of our group of eight one evening). It tasted like it had been brewed and left on a burner too long. We complained, and the waitress brought us what she said was fresh brewed coffee. It also had a burnt taste to it, so it must be the beans they used or the method of brewing. After that in the main dining room, we asked for espresso. We learned that the crew went down to their own kitchen to make this. It was excellent (if you like espresso!).

The coffee we ordered from room service every morning was good, as was the coffee in the specialty dining rooms. It was not outstanding, but was fresh tasting. It is probably closest to typical American style coffee. I would have preferred it to be made with a more mellow bean and a bit stronger but that is my taste.

The best coffee on the ship in our opinion was in the fancy machine in the buffet. There are two machines there and I am referring to the one on the starboard side. This allowed you to have decaf or regular and several variations from plain coffee to lattes. The beans were ground on the spot and water put through them under pressure. There were often several people lined up here and many of us agreed we'd love to have that machine at home.

I like coffee like Starbucks - although it's a little stronger than I would prefer. Dunkin Donuts coffee is good. I like flavored coffee, but would never expect to find that on a cruise ship - just some basic fresh brewed coffee is all I want. The coffee on HAL was fresh brewed and I could drink it. The coffee in HAL's specialty (for charge) coffee shop was VERY good - I even managed to drink some of Celebrity's coffee, although it was pretty bad.

People tried telling me there was a difference in the machines and that the starboard machine was better - I couldn't see a difference!

I drank tea to satisfy my need for a caffeinated hot beverage because they had some excellent teas available.

I don't know what European coffee is supposed to be like...perhaps some one could enlighten me.

And the wonderful waitstaff in the buffet during our Oct. Journey cruise was aware of coffee issues. I quickly learned to explain my preference for "half cup American, half espresso" and never failed to have the brew delivered to my table as I tucked into pain au chocolate, fresh fruit, etc., etc.

And the wonderful waitstaff in the buffet during our Oct. Journey cruise was aware of coffee issues. I quickly learned to explain my preference for "half cup American, half espresso" and never failed to have the brew delivered to my table as I tucked into pain au chocolate, fresh fruit, etc., etc.

Thankj you for the great tip regarding the coffee issues. I'm not a big coffee drinker, but I do like it to be a decent blend. We're on Journey in Feb. and I'll remember to order the espresso.

Well my experience with "American Coffee" is limited to Hotel which on the whole has been pretty poor. I think that peoples expectations of a decent cup of coffee will always vary as everyone has different wants in terms of strength, type of bean used length of brew time etc.

What is worrying is that the comments so far have been unanimous in condemning the quality.

Is it too strong as has been alluded too, I did find American ground coffee served in hotels to be pretty weak on the whole. At home in the UK we have such a broad range of strengths available for ground coffee from the supermarket, hence I dont think you will get a "perfect cup of coffee on a cruise as they wouldnt want to stock such a large range of different blends.

Costa coffee, equivalent to Starbucks on the high street, uses a blend of different beans to achieve a strong aromatic aroma, I love it. Guess I wont be getting that on Azamara;)

Its far from costa etc,i had a cappachino from the machine in buffet with a shot of expresso to make it stronger,but then i like turkish/greek coffees

On different tac we were using 2 tea bags to get a decent cupper if not drinking the coffee,the hotel director did assure our cruise critic coffee morning that the coffee was being looked at and was going to be changed:):):)

I don't know what European coffee is supposed to be like...perhaps some one could enlighten me.

In Europe coffee (or un cafe) always refers to espresso. If you want something weaker you must ask for "cafe Americano" which is basically diluted espresso.

In Europe coffee (or un cafe) always refers to espresso. If you want something weaker you must ask for "cafe Americano" which is basically diluted espresso.

Thanks for the info.

So then, does anyone remember if there is a "cafe Americano" setting on any of the machines in Windows? There are 3 machines, as I recall - one port, one starboard and one in the aft - outside.

Our solution has been to use the machines in buffet restaurant. I have found that what I do is to brew a double cup of Cafe Americano and then add one expresso to that. Close to what I make at home at least.

I guess this means that there is such a setting on the coffee machines in buffet restaurant. I don't have have any experience with Azamara yet but I am booked on an upcoming cruise in February so hopefully I will have a chance to check out all that important stuff personally:)

I guess this means that there is such a setting on the coffee machines in buffet restaurant. I don't have have any experience with Azamara yet but I am booked on an upcoming cruise in February so hopefully I will have a chance to check out all that important stuff personally:)

I guess so! Well, enjoy your cruise and please report back! :)

I tried all three machines, usually added a shot of espresso to a cappucino. The machine outside aft was different from the other two and made a slightly better brew, but half the time it was out of order.

If they are using the "toddy" approach (condensed liquid) for the MDR and Specialty restaurants, it can work if the brew is good enough to begin with.

I thought espresso in Cova Cafe was good, but I didn't like having to pay extra for it.

It seems like Azamara ought to find a way to fix this in order to live up to their brand repositioning.

and speaking of pain au chocolat, they served made-last-night-and-not-reheated with chocolate that was two cold hard twigs instead of gooey and warm. Something else to address as they go "club"

As the price ramps up, it is NOT something we should have to bring with us! It should be provided!

The coffee needs to meet the tastes of all guests.

There needs to be some regular coffee to meet the needs of American tastes and some European style coffee to meet the needs of their tastes!

BTW, how is Oceania's coffee?

As the price ramps up, it is NOT something we should have to bring with us! It should be provided!

The coffee needs to meet the tastes of all guests.

There needs to be some regular coffee to meet the needs of American tastes and some European style coffee to meet the needs of their tastes!

BTW, how is Oceania's coffee?

the bringing it with you...

you have a point,

but I look at it as if it was shampoo and conditioner...

I'm sure the Azamara is not carrying Pureology or Redken AllSoft, my long tangly hair responds well to those shampoos/conditioners...

yes for the price Azamara is charging they should carry those products for my convenience, but they don't

so now I adjust my expectations and come up with a plan b

I bring them with me.

When we cruise next year, I will probably have a couple of packets of VIA stowed away in my luggage...

just my 2 cents

Hi,

We just returned from a tour to Egypt and Jordan and took our instant Starbucks coffee with us and it was really good. We went to Costco and found it there for much less money than at Starbucks. We took the Starbucks' test when it came out and couldn't tell the difference between their freshly made and their instant coffee!!!!

Sheila

Archived