first time cruise

Hello

i've booked a cruise for me and my parents on thomson dream for the 28th of Aprill ,I've booked an outside plus cabin .Does anyone know how big these are, mum gets a little clostraphobic .Also since its our first cruise doe any one have any advise on what to expect ,things to do ,not to do ,things to bring along .

Hello

i've booked a cruise for me and my parents on thomson dream for the 28th of Aprill ,I've booked an outside plus cabin .Does anyone know how big these are, mum gets a little clostraphobic .Also since its our first cruise doe any one have any advise on what to expect ,things to do ,not to do ,things to bring along .

This is a nice ship to start with, not too big at 1500 passengers with fair amount of room to move about.

There are two sizes of outsides starting at 20SM which are okay, usually a double bed, (can be made into singles on request) a seating area, and usual bathroom, windows are fairly large.

As it is coming over from Costa late March can't imagine to many changes, so you have plenty of choices during any sea days.

Most 'Med ports' can be done by using HOHO buses for a local look round town, without braking bank.

except ROME. best ships tour,

Do use google search of ports before going and ask about any you are not sure of.

Pity you, now you have taken that first step towards cruising, life will never be the same.:D

I think Tenpin has covered most of the points I can think of at this time. Especially at this time of year :D. Too much Christmas spirit.

We are on this cruise and I hope you're not going on the 28th as she leaves port on the 27th.

As to cabin sizes, unless you have a suite on any ship you will find that cabins are a bit smaller than a hotel room. But you do not spend much time in them apart from washing and sleeping. Apart from a quick rest after a busy day out.

We were in your position April 2008 and now we are hooked on cruising.

The only disappointment is that we did not do it before we got into our 50's.

Berwyn

Hi Kev,

It says in the brochure the outside plus ones are between 161 and 172 square feet.

That's a lot bigger than our cabin on the Island escape a couple of weeks ago.

Are all 3 of you in the same cabin?

Berwyn

yes we are ,will there be enough room for the three of us .Also any idea what the windows are like ? oh yes and it is the 27th .

It depends what deck your cabin is on. The O.S. Plus ones are on decks 5, 6, 7 and 9. It says the cabins on deck 5 have porthole but on other decks a picture window.

This ship is going to be a new experience for us all, unless some have sailed on her as Costa Europa. So we're not able to get much info from previous Thomson's cruisers as we usually would.

Berwyn

Hi,

The prices on the Escape (which matches the other Thomson's ships) was Stella and Boddingtons £2.90 a pint, cocktails about £3.10, spirits £2.80 and unlike a lot of other cruise lines (mainly American) they do not charge a 15% tip on top of each drinks order. Also measures are much bigger than U.K. pub measures.

We have the A.I. included in the price as booked early.

We were originally booked on Destiny next September but after reading recent reviews changed to the Dream.

Berwyn

P.S.

I am trying to look on other websites to find out what sort of sockets she has in the cabin.

Dream (Costa Europa) has normal european plugs..2 pin low voltage, depending on cabin only just sufficient sockets at dressing table area

Thanks for that info. Mind you Mine come in a set of 2 with both types in.

Kev you will also need a bank of 4 plug sockets from home to plug into the adaptor so you can charge up phone, cameras, etc.

Berwyn

We've our first cruise booked for 2010 - sailing on Dream on 27th July. I've also booked o/s plus cabins on Deck 7. As far as I understand it will have a large picture window as opposed to a porthole and has a bath as well as a shower. There is a small seating area with sofa. We will be 2 adults and 1 child in each cabin & I believe that the extra berths will be pullman style, you need to upgrade to a deluxe for a sofa bed. There are some pictures on the Costa website of specific room types, although how much these will change under Thomson I don't know. I shall be waiting for the first reviews from Thomson guests once she sails.

We've our first cruise booked for 2010 - sailing on Dream on 27th July. I've also booked o/s plus cabins on Deck 7. As far as I understand it will have a large picture window as opposed to a porthole and has a bath as well as a shower. There is a small seating area with sofa. We will be 2 adults and 1 child in each cabin & I believe that the extra berths will be pullman style, you need to upgrade to a deluxe for a sofa bed. There are some pictures on the Costa website of specific room types, although how much these will change under Thomson I don't know. I shall be waiting for the first reviews from Thomson guests once she sails.

Hi Jo,

I think that will be me. We are on the 1st full week on April 27th, after the 1st thomson's 5 day cruise. So unless someone on here is on the 5 day cruise the guinea pigs are Kev and his parents and DW and I.

I have already agreed to be volunteered to report back by Kruzseeka :D

Berwyn

Any idea what time the ship departs on the first day ,we have early flights but im a little worried we miss the boat .The same for the return what time our we likley to return on the last day .I did book the flights with the cruise.

Hi Kev,

Don't worry if you booked it as a package they won't go without you. In the airport there will be reps there to guide you to the coach for transfer to the ship. It's a quick trip only around the other side of Palma Bay.

On last day they will probably be docked by about 7a.m. and want you put of the cabin by 9a.m. But you don't have to leave the ship until they are ready to transfer you back to the airport.

You will get information in your cabin (we had it the night before the last).

Put your cases outside the door by late evening on last night 2a.m.

Berwyn

Hi Jo,

I think that will be me. We are on the 1st full week on April 27th, after the 1st thomson's 5 day cruise. So unless someone on here is on the 5 day cruise the guinea pigs are Kev and his parents and DW and I.

I have already agreed to be volunteered to report back by Kruzseeka :D

Berwyn

That would be great, can't wait to hear what you think. Not too long to go for you now!

Any idea what time the ship departs on the first day ,we have early flights but im a little worried we miss the boat .The same for the return what time our we likley to return on the last day .I did book the flights with the cruise.

Looking at the details for ours, we are due to leave Palma at 23.30, they won't go without you I'm sure ;)

whats the dress code like on board ,I've heard about a captains night which is formal ,Berwyn will you be dressing up for the occasion ? would it be worth it to hire a tux ?

Hi Kev,

Yes they have a Captain's Cocktail party formal do. Lots of people who like to dress up do so. Some men like a dinner jacket or a dark suit will do.

We on't be doing it, we'll eat in one of the buffet restaurants that night.

We did enough dressing up on the cruise in June.

The suit takes up space that we can use for proper holiday clothes.

Otherwise at other times in the evening for the dining room long trousers and open shirt or polo shirt.

Have a look here http://www.thomson.co.uk/cruise/life-onboard/got-a-question.html#dress

It's about halfway down page.

Ladies get away much better, all they need is nice sparkly tops and black trousers and they can mix and match.

Berwyn

Archived