Christmas and HAL?

mechcc

Our grown married children alternate Christmas and Thanksgiving between families. Combining the families is not geographical feasiable. And next year is our year for Thanksgiving but not for Christmas so I just booked a cruise for just the 2 of us. So anyone who have cruised over Christmas on HAL - what is it like? Is there Christmas Eve Service? Midnight Candlelight Service? Is there a special menu on Christmas Eve and Christmas Day? Does it feel like a Christian Christmas?

I'm sure that someone who is on a cruise now can fill you in on what happens over Christmas Eve and Christmas, but we were on a Dec 2-21 cruise on the Amsterdam this year. I can tell you that the big display in the Lower Prom Atrium included a lovely creche and that there was a joint Christmas worship service (organized by the Protestant chaplain and the RC priest) that was well-attended. There was a tree-lighting ceremony that I know was to be repeated once the Christmas-cruise passengers came aboard but the one held while I was on the ship was more secular although there were a few traditional Christian carols sung as well.

I just got off a Christmas Cruise on Saturday. Here were the events.

Christmas Eve:

10:30 - midnight - International Buffet - This was a buffet held on deck 3 with foods from across the world. It mostly consisted of desserts, a chocolate fountain, and a few food items. I have heard in the past that this has been a much larger event.

11:00 - midnight - International Choir - This was definitely the highlight. There were 3 choirs that sang and then afterwards those who sang stayed outside the doors of the lounge to wish everyone a Merry Christmas.

Midnight - There was a Catholic Midnight Mass and a non-denominational midnight service

Christmas Day:

There was some singing of Christmas carols and then Santa arrived. Each kid was given a gift from Santa.

For both Christmas Eve and Christmas Day there were special menus. The Christmas Eve menu seemed similar to me to a normal menu, except there were some holiday desserts including a Yule Log. On Christmas a turkey dinner was available along with other menu items. Both days had Christmas Cookies.

As for it being a Christian Christmas, here is my personal opinion, and I know that others will have their own opinions. To us it didn't feel like a traditional Christmas. We try not to focus as much on Santa, and on Christmas that seemed to be the highlight. We unfortunately were not able to make any of the midnight services due to our kids falling asleep. If we had made it that might have changed my mind. I felt that the International Choir was the once event that really helped us feel the true meaning of Christmas. We probably won't go on another Christmas Cruise since we want to be able to stay home with family and do our own holiday traditions.

Our grown married children alternate Christmas and Thanksgiving between families. Combining the families is not geographical feasiable. And next year is our year for Thanksgiving but not for Christmas so I just booked a cruise for just the 2 of us. So anyone who have cruised over Christmas on HAL - what is it like? Is there Christmas Eve Service? Midnight Candlelight Service? Is there a special menu on Christmas Eve and Christmas Day? Does it feel like a Christian Christmas?

Hi

We are thinking of a Christmas cruise too. I think you could make it a "Christian Christmas" on your own by adding your own traditions with your family. We always read Luke 2 Christmas eve and keep our hearts and minds focused. I imagine you can do that anywhere regardless of what others may be doing or how HAL organizes its activities. JMO:)

I agree with the poster who suggest all guests can make it more to their family's preference individually. YWhatever bible reading you enjoy can be done privately. You can order a small Christmas Tree for your cabin. You can decorate any way you wish as long as no safety rules are violated.....ie no lit candles.

One must remember, not everyone on the ship is Christian and celebrates Christmas. They cannot go too far in making everything too religious as those who do not celebrate must be considered.

We have cruised several times on HAL ships for Christmas and think they do a wonderful job. The ships are always beautifully decorated, sometimes they put a wreath on every cabin door, the choirs are wonderful, Captain's tree lighting ceremony is very nice. There are enough special menu offerings to suit most of us and Santa comes to visit the children. :)

We love the holiday sailings.

Due to Parochial duties, I have never been at Sea at Christmas. However staff have told me that the Midnight Mass is held in the big Show theatre and it is packed. The same person told me that the Christian Ecumenical Christmas Service was held by a minister in the Wijang theatre. This was told to me in the pre-vista era.

Archived