just back from the 12/20 solstice EC from a parents perspective

felixdacat

This is felixdacats wife. (DH does write much better than I). We just got off the 12/20 Eastern carribean Solstice. This was our first time on Celebrity. I willl admit that when choosing an eastern Carribean cruise for the winter break, that my first choice would have been Royal Carribean , have an 11 and 9 year old. but that Oasis was priced out of our range. We also considered Carnival and Noweigen , but traveling with my parents and brother's family, they wanted a bit more sophistication, so we chose Celebrity. My primary concern was the kids and if they would become board. No rock climbing, water slides, bowling alleys, rinks, and other "kid gimmicks".. Just a lawn.. Turns out that there were 600 kids on the boat!!! My 11 year old DD made some incredible friends. My 9 yo did like the fun factory. I will admit, that my DD and her friends , without the "gimmicks" were hard pressed sometimes to find things to do that were acceptable to me (not only them, but other kids played a sorta tag game, which I felt could get out of hand). But they did find things to do and were very happy just to have the ability to hang out. Being 11, the fun factory was not really "for them". My 9 yo, like I said, loved it. Being in that age group he got to do the scavenger hunt. Also , both my kids LOVED the glass blowing. That surprised me. THey never played lawn games, and I shoudl have encouraged that more. Also, they did like the shows.

THe ship is beautiful and the kids had the best time, but luckily there were other kids aboard. If this was "off season" for kids I would probably have to admit that a more kid gimmick cruise would work. For you parents out there, you can ask me about the fun factory and other questions in regards to the kids. I almost forget, the MDR has a kids menu (moreso for the little ones), and the Buffet has plenty for them. the BEST burgers on the outside cafe, and also the unlimited ice cream is a bit hit.

Hi, Thanks for starting this thread.

We cruised once before (Carnival) and want to try a different cruiseline...I am also debating whether I should book an RC (Liberty of the Seas) cruise or a Celebrity (Solstice) cruise for the spring break.

What would you say the age range of kids in Fun Factory? My DD is 6 and my DS is 3. How attentive and experienced are the counselors?

How casually dressed can we be in the MDR, on a normal (not formal) night?

What is the general attitude of other passengers towards young children, as I can't guarantee my kids will be on their best behavior at all times during the cruise?

Thanks, CM.

I do not have children. I sail msotly during spring breaks. I have found in general children are well behaved. The one problem i have found is that they sit or hang on the stairwell-very hard to walk up/doen at times. also young peopel run in the hall outside my cabin.

I have stopped that more than once.. stair well i tend to not see them unless they are swearing or yelling. then i speak to them.

As far as pools and dinenr i have never had a problem.

i have sailed princess durign spring break and find if there is a problem there is [pool/ youth staff speaking to the kids.

I have walked around/thru alllthe kids rooms and they look like fun. I will say princess on the big ships have a hot tub for teens by the teen center.

I'm sorry, this does not have to do with children, however, being you just sailed could you tell me which nights were formal nights. Is the second one the day you were in Tortola. Trying to make speciality dining reservations. Thanks for your help.

the formal night was after tortola. It was Xmas eve.

the fun factory had 3-5 year old and then 6-8 year old. The did seem attentive to all the kids. In our case they brought in extra couselors. the 6-8 year old range I think was the largest in fun factory. The older kids sorta drifted in and out, as most of them had permission from their parents to do so.

The younger kids will love the fountain in front of the pool.

FYI, they also have a 100$ package that allows you unlimited time in the fun factory and some behind the scenes tours. If you plan on keeping them after 10pm then it works out great.

I think the decision lies on your 6 year old. Will they use whatever extras on RC. I dont know if that boat has the rock wall and rink, and such. If they are not going ot use that stuff then I would go with Celebrity.

Yes, the older kids tend to "loiter" around the staycases. my oldest did that the last night, but I kept an eye on it and did not see anyone complain to the kids. I think those who are healthy and take the elevation to go down just one flight are worse than the tweens that loiter :)

the formal night was after tortola. It was Xmas eve.

the fun factory had 3-5 year old and then 6-8 year old. The did seem attentive to all the kids. In our case they brought in extra couselors. the 6-8 year old range I think was the largest in fun factory. The older kids sorta drifted in and out, as most of them had permission from their parents to do so.

The younger kids will love the fountain in front of the pool.

FYI, they also have a 100$ package that allows you unlimited time in the fun factory and some behind the scenes tours. If you plan on keeping them after 10pm then it works out great.

I think the decision lies on your 6 year old. Will they use whatever extras on RC. I dont know if that boat has the rock wall and rink, and such. If they are not going ot use that stuff then I would go with Celebrity.

Yes, the older kids tend to "loiter" around the staycases. my oldest did that the last night, but I kept an eye on it and did not see anyone complain to the kids. I think those who are healthy and take the elevation to go down just one flight are worse than the tweens that loiter :)

Thanks, felixdacat. I think Liberty of the Seas has the wall and the rink...but I agree with you...I doubt my DD will frequent either place often enough to make RC more attractive.

What is the general attitude of other passengers towards young children, as I can't guarantee my kids will be on their best behavior at all times during the cruise?

Age doesn't bother me as much as behavior. A few years ago my wife and I were at DisneyWorld and enjoyed Grand Floridian Concierge. There were children, but most likely affluent British children that were well behaved.

On my last cruise (it was a gift so I didn't have much choice in the sailing) we were on Carnival and there were kids running during formal night in the dining room.

We are leaning to Celebrity to avoid that type of experience.

I realize that there will be some children on the ship, and with well supervised activities, I hope for them not to disturb us too much. If they invade the adult pool or are loud in dining areas, you will probably get a dirty look from a good number of the passengers. (For myself, we are booking AquaClass to dine in Blu with hopefully even fewer children.)

Would you book another Solstice class ship with the kids? We are debating the same thing. We are looking at RCCL Adventure, Carnival Liberty, or wild card Solstice. W/O kids I think we would go for the Solstice.

Our boys 9 & 12 haven't been on a cruise in 5 years. They used to love the kids club. Now the oldest is saying he doesn't want any part of the kids club. I'm sure our 9 year old would still love the kids club. If they aren't going to use the club, then we are thinking about a ship we might like more.

We just go back from at December TA on the Solstice with our two kids 11 and 13. I can't tell you how much they loved it. And this was on a TA with colder weather. They loved the Hot Glass show. Loved the food, the teen club and the Fun Factory. They had a great time. I'm sure they would like RC, but we prefer Celebrity so much that we think we'll stick with them.

According to my kids, it was their best cruise ever. If there are other kids on the boat, your kids will have a great time. I felt that the kids were very safe on board. The kids club for 9-11 year olds allows with parently permission for them to leave and even do the scavenger hunt. your 12 year old will just meet up with other kids and then had a fun time.

I almost forget. There is a sports court by the kids club for basketball and the the like.

Would you book another Solstice class ship with the kids? We are debating the same thing. We are looking at RCCL Adventure, Carnival Liberty, or wild card Solstice. W/O kids I think we would go for the Solstice.

Our boys 9 & 12 haven't been on a cruise in 5 years. They used to love the kids club. Now the oldest is saying he doesn't want any part of the kids club. I'm sure our 9 year old would still love the kids club. If they aren't going to use the club, then we are thinking about a ship we might like more.

This is the real Felixdacat (the hubby).

When we were planning the cruise the deciding factor in booking Celebrity rather than a ship with the kid gimmicks was the realization that our kids were now old enough to take off the ship when we got into port. In past cruises we mostly left them in the kids club.

Kite flying at El Morro in Old San Juan, Maho Beach to watch the planes land in San Maarten, snorkeling excursion in Tortola, and the beach at Laberdee.

If you are cruising during spring break, winter break, or the summer I would recommend Celebrity as I felt their kids programs were good enough. But if it’s a cruise with few children I would still hesitate.

BTW, for 9 years old and up the kids club allows parents to decide whether the child could have sign in/sign out privileges. After a couple of days allowing our 11 year old that freedom we extended it to our 9 year old as well. Both children made me proud. Well yeah they bent the rules a bit, but they handled the new responsibility better than I expected. I found I was constantly running into my own children throughout the ship.

Archived