Advice wanted --Pearl to Alaska with kids?

RoupMom

We are taking our family to Alaska this summer: DH, me, son, his wife, and grandsons ages 6 and 4 then. Since I want to go to both Glacier Bay and Skagway this time, we have 3 choices: Pearl out of Seattle, Golden Princess out of Seattle, or HAL Volendam out of Vancouver, BC. We have sailed on the Volendam last year (New Zealand), Amsterdam to Alaska, and on Celebrity Mediterranean) as well, all of which we really liked.

NCL would be least expensive and seems good with the freestyle aspect with the kids. All 3 options seem to have good kids' programs, and excursions are comparable. DH doesn't like getting dressed up, so that would favor NCL also.

However, the reviews I've read of NCL and the Pearl, have been mixed to say the least. People either love it or say they won't take NCL again.

One issue centers around food. The flexibility would be good with the kids, but what about the quality? We don't want to pay extra for dining on this cruise. And I've read that on the Pearl they do not use trays in the buffet, that area is always crowded, and according to my sister who was on the Pearl 2 summers ago, the lines were so long, and the stations so far separated that she was never able to actually get a hot meal there.

On the other hand, the Volendam is considerably smaller (which I like), the food is wonderful and service great, and the bathrooms have tubs! Princess seems to be the standard-bearer, though we have never sailed with them. Since we live in the Seattle area, that would be an easy thing.

Please tell me about your experiences and thanks in advance

RoupMom

Hi- you have many competing agendas and you will need to figure out what is most important. We sailed the Pearl last summer to Alaska and it was a great trip from start to finish. We were six adults. I am reading between the lines and you have a desire for a bit more upscale dining. That is your desire-what is everyone elses? In all honesty, I do not think the kids will care beyond how many slices of pizza they can load onto a tray. Do you want meals every time with the kids or do you want to go to specialty restaurants with up-charges? The buffet is crowded on embarkation day. Otherwise it was fine and the choices were well above expectations. There is always the grill for the kids. The MDR's are always available if you do not want the buffet.

I am biased. I love NCL's approach to cruising. It is casual and infomal. I am sensing that is not you. If it is not- you will not have a great experience regardless of how all your other guests feel.

We are taking our family to Alaska this summer: DH, me, son, his wife, and grandsons ages 6 and 4 then. Since I want to go to both Glacier Bay and Skagway this time, we have 3 choices: Pearl out of Seattle, Golden Princess out of Seattle, or HAL Volendam out of Vancouver, BC. We have sailed on the Volendam last year (New Zealand), Amsterdam to Alaska, and on Celebrity Mediterranean) as well, all of which we really liked. We did a repo on the Sun in 2008 so did not go so far up. Still amazing! The inside passage and a trip to Mendenhall glacier. We would like to return and travel further.

NCL would be least expensive and seems good with the freestyle aspect with the kids. All 3 options seem to have good kids' programs, and excursions are comparable. DH doesn't like getting dressed up, so that would favor NCL also. No dressing up is required on NCL

However, the reviews I've read of NCL and the Pearl, Two month's later were fortunate enough to travel on the Pearl. Wow. Great ship. If you have the chance to see it on TV, do! "CRUISE INC: BIG MONEY ON THE HIGH SEAS" It is very informative and features the ship and staff quite well. We loved recognizing bartenders and servers. have been mixed to say the least. People either love it or say they won't take NCL again.

One issue centers around food. The flexibility would be good with the kids, but what about the quality? We don't want to pay extra for dining on this cruise. We did go to Le Bistro because we wanted to but you don't need to go to the specialty restaurants. There is plenty to choose from in the MDR and buffet. And I've read that on the Pearl they do not use trays in the buffet, We have not seen trays on NCL or RCCL in the past couple of years. The plates are large and unless you feel the need to get your appetizer, salad, entree and dessert all at once you don't need a tray.that area is always crowded, and according to my sister who was on the Pearl 2 summers ago, the lines were so long, and the stations so far separated that she was never able to actually get a hot meal there. I disagree. We had no problems with temperature or crowding.

On the other hand, the Volendam is considerably smaller (which I like), the food is wonderful and service great, and the bathrooms have tubs! Princess seems to be the standard-bearer, though we have never sailed with them. Since we live in the Seattle area, that would be an easy thing.

Please tell me about your experiences and thanks in advance

RoupMom

Choose your own favorite but don't exclude the NCL Pearl.

We cruised Alaska on the Volendam in 2008 and the Caribbean on the Pearl in 2009, so I guess I am qualified to answer.

We really didn't like the HAL and would probably not ever cruise on them again. We are in our 50s and traveled with adult children in their 20s. There were few activities available that we liked (although the scenery was nice!:D). Our main complaint, though, was the food. The buffet served the exact same food as in the dining room. If you didn't care for the entrees being served in the dining room, don't go looking for something different at the buffet! The food was probably about the same quality as NCL, but a lot fewer options (and we don't eat in the specialty restaurants, either).

The Pearl and NCL suited us better. You've already been on the Volendam, so you know what to expect from it - if the same things that annoyed us were also annoying to you, you might really enjoy the Pearl better.

I've been on 20 Princess cruises (4 to Alaska) and 2 Norwegian. For the same cost and itinerary, I'd pick Princess. If NCL's cost was lower by enough money, I would not be reluctant to sail with them again. Our 9 year old daughter has been on over 15 cruises with us, and I would definately choose a line that does a good job with flexible dining. Depending on how the 6 and 4 year olds' days are going you have the option of dining with or without them. If you have traditional dining, you may not have that option. The kids program may not be open when early traditional dining starts--so if you choose early traditional, you will be eating with the kids every night, whether they are up to it or not. Late traditional can be very tough with kids, so you may find that you are eating without them every night. Both Princess and NCL do a good job with flexible (Anytime for Princess and Freestyle for NCL) dining, which allows you to play it by ear.

Not sure how well HAL does flexible dining.

If you have traditional dining, you may not have that option. The kids program may not be open when early traditional dining starts--so if you choose early traditional, you will be eating with the kids every night, whether they are up to it or not.

This is not true. You can have the kids eat at the buffet, get pizza or burgers before going to an early seating. And many lines have flexible dining options now, though that doesn't carry a different dress code than traditional.

But I do think NCL has a good product and does the flexible dining better than anyone else in the mass marketed lines. The Pearl also has a special buffet area dedicated to kids. And flexible dining would give you and DH the option of have a romatic dinner or two while your son and his family can either do the family thing or he and his DW could also have a romatic dinner without the kiddos.

I have sailed the Pearl to Alaska. You can't predict the "crowds" but overall, way less outside space is used on Alaska itineraries, so inside space, including the buffets have a larger percentage of people using them.

If food is your priority, sorry, but the general non extra charge dining, is so so. All lines have cut back. You should be able to find "acceptable" food, just don't expect anything near 5 star.

Just added information, this ship has crappy deck viewing, all the upper deck through plexiglass, with the front corners blocked off with equiptment. This is a big negative for Glacier Bay. If you have an outside viewing cabin, be certain to get a port side, if a Glacier Bay priority.

One more thing to be said, though, in favor of the Volendam for Alaska. They had the bow open for viewing the glacier (maybe all ships do that though?) We were in an obstructed view outside cabin, toward the front of the ship, on the promenade deck, very near an outside door. This was way better than a balcony for viewing whales! There would be an announcement, like "killer whales on the port side" and in a few seconds, I had my camera, my coat on & was outside on either side of the ship.

OP I think you have some tough choices there. I did want to make two comments about the Pearl.

1. The Pearl is a beautiful ship, completely sparkling clean and has a very dedicated staff. Dedicated to their customers. Although it is not my favorite NCL ship, I honestly could not say anything negative about the Pearl or it's crew at all.

2. Without a doubt the Pearl's buffet is not only the best buffet we have ever been to on any cruise ship, it beats most land based buffets in my opinion as well. I thought the food was very good at the Pearls buffet and I promise you I am VERY picky about buffet food. I don't know how you could ask for a better layout for a buffet, especially on a cruise ship, than the layout of the Pearls buffet. I never once felt like we had to wait too long in lines for any of their stations, the crew in the buffet was always there to help you with your plates to your table, etc. Personally I thougth all buffets had done away with the trays for sanitary reasons. Food is very subjective, of course, but for me to say I even liked a buffet, let alone actually enjoyed it, is saying a lot.

I'm not trying to sway you to the Pearl, by any means. I want you to pick the ship that is right for your family, however I don't think you would be disappointed in the Pearl if that is the one you choose to go with.

Archived