QM2 - is there a self service laundry?

chriswat

My wife has learned: Bring a book and stay in the laundry to guard your clothes while they are washing and drying.

5 pm is one of the best less crowded times: I usually get my formal duds on and go to the Commodore Club to be out of the way, and, just appear in fine form, back in the room in time for the late seating for dinner.

Be prepared for outrageous gossip, such as which freezer under the Queen's Room dance floor Commodore Warwick resides in.

We have started to accept the ship's laundry service: my shirts and tighty whities really do look very nice as done professionally.

stop

David

I don't understand why people pay all that money for PG and QG and what is supposed to be a holiday and then scrimp on the finer things in life such as not using one of those awful laundry rooms, smuggling booze on board etc.......why is this:confused: We only pay for a balcony but wouldn't even consider spending time washing clothes. Whats a few dollars when you have paid all that money?

I don't understand why people pay all that money for PG and QG and what is supposed to be a holiday and then scrimp on the finer things in life such as not using one of those awful laundry rooms, smuggling booze on board etc.......why is this:confused: We only pay for a balcony but wouldn't even consider spending time washing clothes. Whats a few dollars when you have paid all that money?

Always remember that nobody ever got rich by spending money!

We travelled QG twice this year and her indoors always goes to the steamie with the "smalls". The good stuff gets sent out. If you time it right, you can pop your things in before breakfast then put them in the drier on the way back, have a short wander round then collect them. Just don't forget about them or somebody will dump the stuff for you.

Neither do we "smuggle" anything on board, but simply take a few bottles of fizz to augment the free mini bar. You should try it some time.

Always remember that nobody ever got rich by spending money!

We travelled QG twice this year and her indoors always goes to the steamie with the "smalls". The good stuff gets sent out. If you time it right, you can pop your things in before breakfast then put them in the drier on the way back, have a short wander round then collect them. Just don't forget about them or somebody will dump the stuff for you.

Neither do we "smuggle" anything on board, but simply take a few bottles of fizz to augment the free mini bar. You should try it some time.

I fully agree with you on this, and your not alone either, next time I may do my washing as well

I think, at least for cruisers, it is mostly priorities: we were uncomfortable sending out our "smalls". But we blow the big bucks for the world cruises.

We have only bought two new cars since 1983.

I read that Harry Truman washed his own underwear on his famous whistle-stop, so I figured I can do that too, moreso now that the Canadians have invented fast-dry underwear.

Washing out a couple sets of underwear and socks is good relaxation therapy and gets me ready to sleep.

stop

David

I think, at least for cruisers, it is mostly priorities: we were uncomfortable sending out our "smalls". But we blow the big bucks for the world cruises.

We have only bought two new cars since 1983.

I read that Harry Truman washed his own underwear on his famous whistle-stop, so I figured I can do that too, moreso now that the Canadians have invented fast-dry underwear.

Washing out a couple sets of underwear and socks is good relaxation therapy and gets me ready to sleep.

stop

David

Wonderful- we have had a few more cars though, quite a few and we have 4 cruises a year now.

I must wash more small from now on

With some people, the amount of money they have is not the determining factor for spending the money. In my opinion it should be that way with everyone, but obviously it is not. DH & I have a price/value ratio built into our brains & that is always how we determine when & how much to spend. Maybe that is why 2 ordinary people from poor beginnings accumulated enough to retire in our 50's & after many years of retirement, are still financially able to travel as we want & as we do.

Therefore, as you probably guessed, we use the 'free' (:D) laundramat on QM2 - 'free' laundry soap too - woohoo! We also take home the extra bath soap bars! Besides, we don't have any idea how much it costs to have Cunard do it for us; never even looked into it. Besides that, I don't trust a 'commercial mass laundering method' to keep my only available clothes in wearable condition, especially when we are beginning a 6 weeks European trip! However, we do refuse to wash out underwear by hand (yuk!:eek:), so our one packing deviation is that we pack a pair for every day. Even so, we still never check more than one 26" bag each.

But then, we are retired & mostly do what we want everyday. So, unlike worker-bees, we don't mind taking a short period of time to do laundry. Additionally, we often rent apartments & even cook on our trips - :cool:. I can understand (& remember) those who are still working not wanting to do laundry on their too short cruise vacation.

BTW, we, along with many others, do remove clothes that are just sitting in the appliances. I don't see anything wrong with that & I would not object if someone did the same with my clothes - although I stay & chat with others, so my clothes would not be just taking up space. I don't, & haven't seen anyone else, put them on the floor. Usually on the ironing board if a basket is not around.

Happy cruising everyone.

Hmmm. We retired 15 years ago to marbella, Southern Spain. Holiday about 4 times a year (one or two cruises a year is enough for us though!). Infact it could be said we are on holiday 24/7 as we live on the mediterranean. Because of this I never do my own laundry:D Shame the Butler doesn't do it for you on QM2:)

Hmmm. We retired 15 years ago to marbella, Southern Spain. Holiday about 4 times a year (one or two cruises a year is enough for us though!). Infact it could be said we are on holiday 24/7 as we live on the mediterranean. Because of this I never do my own laundry:D Shame the Butler doesn't do it for you on QM2:)

Thing is, if he doesn't use the correct washing powder and softner I find my cheeks chaffe:D:D

Funny storey - On the Nov 11th Westbound my (personally) designated laundry day was Friday - ended up being the middle of a storm, much pitching and rolling - anyway, the washer would turn off when there was a big wave I guess - had to keep stopping in and restarting - took a couple of tries :-) But I did get it done, and it was actually no problem - just another excuse to wonder around the ship in between checking.

Also, check the location of the laundry on the deck above or below you, could be closer - on Deck 8 it is near the stern, on 9 it is forward.

Archived