RCCL Adventure or Carnival Victory

We are planning on taking an April vacation with 2-boys 9 & 12 and my wife and I. We have been on several Carnival cruises (5) with the kids and enjoyed it. My wife & I have been on 3 RCCL cruises over the years w/o the kids and like those as well.

I've heard recently the service/quality levels of RCCL have diminished significantly. Any truth to the rumors?

It also seems that RCI seems to nickle & dime with all the extras; i.e., Johnny Rocket's, etc.

Any thoughts on which of the 2 ships to choose?

Thanks

Been on both ships and the Adventure hands down. I do not like the Destiny class ships of which the Victory belongs to. I was on the Adventure back in April and loved it. Would do it again in a heartbeat.

As far as the nickle and dime stuff. It's an option. You can have free ice cream in the Windjammer of pay for Ben and Jerry's. You can have a burger in the Windjammer or pay for one at JR's. Plenty of places to dine without spending a dime.

Been on both ships and the Adventure hands down.

o.k., I also have been on both ships and it is not as simple a comparison as some would say. While I would ultimately go for Adventure as a Voyager Class ship, the Victory is a one of Carnival's better ones.

It would ultimately come down to price and convenience.

o.k., I also have been on both ships and it is not as simple a comparison as some would say. While I would ultimately go for Adventure as a Voyager Class ship, the Victory is a one of Carnival's better ones.

It would ultimately come down to price and convenience.

He asked for opinions and I gave mine and YES it is as simple as that for me.:rolleyes: Some things are more important than saving a few pennies.

Adventure...

I will stick by my motto of comparisons between the two cruiselines. You can have a great cruise on both Royal Caribbean and Carnival, but the level of consistency in service, food, quality, etc. will always be in Royal Caribbean's favor. This has been my experience. Really, the only thing Carnival wins on for the kids is a water slide.

As a previous poster noted, price may help guide your decision. Carnival is a tremendous value in many head to head situations; if price is part of the consideration, you must consider whether any difference in price is worth the potential difference in the product you enjoy for a week.

Ultimately, I have been on the Adventure of the Seas for 2 different cruises. It is my favorite ship in the Royal Caribbean fleet, and I have sailed on all of the Voyager Class ships at least once, as well as Enchantment, Monarch, and Liberty.

I'd be more concerned about flights and price that time of year. A flight to San Juan can be costly. :rolleyes: With kids, I would probably go the cheaper route.

Having said the above, I have been on both ships with teens. Both were enjoyable. On the Victory, you have the slide for the kids, versus the rock climbing, ice skating, roller blading on the AOS. Mine took advantage of the slide, but did not partake in any of the AOS activities.

I'd be more concerned about flights and price that time of year. A flight to San Juan can be costly. :rolleyes:

Good point. Right now the airfare to MIA/FLL or SJU is all expensive. I would expect FLA airfare to drip and agree that the SJU airfare may be more expensive. Right now the $$ cost between these 2 choices which both go out of SJU are practically identical. We really like the Southern Caribbean itinerary, but hat the cost of the airfare. :(

Any thoughts on which of the 2 ships to choose?

I also responded on the Carnival board, but was immediately flamed for speaking highly of an RCI ship. :rolleyes:

I have been on both of these ships. There is no comparison. Adventure is the winner by miles. Victory and her sisters (Triumph Class...which is really no different then Conquest Class) can not compete with Adventure's (Voyager Class) design.

While I would ultimately go for Adventure as a Voyager Class ship, the Victory is a one of Carnival's better ones.

I disagree. I think Spirit Class is the nicest of Carnival ships.

I also responded on the Carnival board, but was immediately flamed for speaking highly of an RCI ship. :rolleyes:

I have been on both of these ships. There is no comparison. Adventure is the winner by miles. Victory and her sisters (Triumph Class...which is really no different then Conquest Class) can not compete with Adventure's (Voyager Class) design.

I disagree. I think Spirit Class is the nicest of Carnival ships.

I see that you got slammed over there by one of the usual suspects. Funny that she has never stepped foot on an RCI ship but is the expert of all things RCI. Go figure.:rolleyes: I also agree with your statement about the Spirit class. Carnival got it right when they built that class ship IMHO.

I see that you got slammed over there by one of the usual suspects. Funny that she has never stepped foot on an RCI ship but is the expert of all things RCI. Go figure.:rolleyes:

I just don't get it, cruisingator2. It baffles me why people do that. I think (at least, I hope) our opinions are a little more credible based on our experiences on both lines.

I just don't get it, cruisingator2. It baffles me why people do that. I think (at least, I hope) our opinions are a little more credible based on our experiences on both lines.

She really had no reason to even comment on that thread. It was a question about comparisons between the two and she has only cruised with Carnival. Go figure.;)

As you can see, I have cruised with both lines. Posting your question on the RCl thread is going to earn you more votes for the Adventure. Count mine among them. To date, Adventure was my favorite ship, favorite cruise. It is the cruise that sold me on Royal Caribbean. NO CONTEST!

I find the service on RCL to be superior to Carnival in that I have always found the service personel to be more friendly and genuine. I prefer the ships. I vastly prefer the activities.

Ok I dont know about Adventurer but the Voyager has the rock wall, rollerblade, minature golf, ice scating all at no cost to parents.

the Carnival has the water slide (which is only good for so much fun) and maybe minature golf.

as far as the service and nickel and dimeing... I got great service on both RCCL Voyager and Carnival Conquest, and both have their fair share of the extra costs. I did not choose any extras but the soda cards for the kids which both lines charge for.

have fun

I've been following this thread and I really have nothing to add as I haven't sailed either line - yet.

I just want to say that I will be sailing on the Adventure April 4th with my DH and 2 boys (ages 10 & 14). Just to give you a little incentive to book the AOS for that date - our kids can hang out together! :)

I've been following this thread and I really have nothing to add as I haven't sailed either line - yet.

I just want to say that I will be sailing on the Adventure April 4th with my DH and 2 boys (ages 10 & 14). Just to give you a little incentive to book the AOS for that date - our kids can hang out together! :)

That's a tempting offer. I'll keep you posted. We will be celebrating our 20th anniversary a month early and out 9 year old will turn 10 on cruise.

That's a tempting offer. I'll keep you posted. We will be celebrating our 20th anniversary a month early and out 9 year old will turn 10 on cruise.

We'll actually be celebrating our 25th a month late! C'mon and join the fun! We have a Roll Call going and we still need a few people for RCI to host the Meet & Mingle, but hey even if that doesn't happen we can all have a great time!

Archived