Miscellaneous Questions about Lindblad/National Geographic Explorer Antarctic

I am getting ready to go to Antarctica on the National Geographic Explorer on January 7. I am pretty much prepared and have read a ton of trip reports on various boards but I have some miscellaneous questions that I have not seen addressed. I usually travel independently and have never been on a cruise, tour or expedition so I'd like to know what to expect.

1) What is the drinking water situation on the boat? My understanding is that the cost of drinks is included in the trip. Do they leave a set amounts of water bottles in my cabin each day or do I grab my own from some kind of cafe? Both me and my companion always drink A LOT of water (probably 4 liters each a day) and want to make sure we will be getting enough to drink.

2) What sites are included in the Santiago City tour that is part of our trip? Are Cerro San Cristobal or Parque San Luca included? We are arriving one day earlier than everyone else and might explore a bit on our own but don't want to replicate sites?

2) How does the shift system work? There are 148 travelers on the boat and I read that only 100 people are allowed to land at once. Do we all see the same sites? How is it determined who is on the first shift or the second? Is there one you prefer? I would think the first is best so you don't have to wait around.

4) Where is the best place to buy souvenirs? Port Lockroy (assuming we visit), boat shop or is Ushuaia after we disembark? I don't want to rush to buy stuff in the beginning but a lot of people have requested souvenirs from us and don't want to miss my opportunity. Do we have time to buy souvenirs in Ushuaia after we disembark? My understanding is that we would be allowed to explore before our flight back to Santiago but I wanted to be sure.

PattiGe,

I'll try and answer some of your questions. We were on the Explorer last July in the Arctic and will be on the same Antarctic trip as you.

1. The NGE provided us a BPA free plastic water bottle in the room to refill from the sink (remember they are very environmentally conscious). We always drink bottled water at home, but the tap water on the ship is perfectly fine. There are also mugs provided in the chart room for your use if preferred. All beverages are included except for alchohol, but the prices are very reasonable.

2. I asked them this question awhile back since we want to do some wine tours. This is the response I received:

The sightseeing tour is scheduled from 2:30 pm to 4:30 pm and below is a bit more specific information on it but bear in mind sometimes there may also be adjustments done on the spot but this is our basic plan.

1430 -1630 Panoramic driving tour of the city on three motorcoaches. LATOUR will brief all three guides that they should give out the same information and visit the same places on the tour in different order. Following is one schedule:

1430 Tour departs from the Grand Hyatt toward downtown.

1500 Arrival to Plaza de la Constitucion (square) where the Government Palace is located. Stop for 10 Minutes - No walking through palace.

1510 Driving to Pre-Columbian museum (special opening for us on Monday’s –EX70923 and EX70925).

1530 Visit to museum.

1615 Driving back to the hotel.

1630 Return to the hotel.

3. Not sure yet how they will handle the limit, but in the Arctic the excursions ran flawlessly. I have never heard any complaints about how they run their operation or anyone being "shorted" on sites.

4. Depends on what kind of souvenirs you have in mind. Unless it has been changed, the ship store was pretty limited on specific items. It had more general merchandise. We are supposed to have time in Ushuaia before the charter flight home. I hope so. In the arctic, we were given plenty of time in Longyearbyen before the charter flight. Of course, there are always the airport shops.

I would be happy to answer any other questions. It will be a great trip. The NGE is a very comfortable, nice ship. Just keep in mind that it is an expedition, not a luxury "cruise", and it is casual, no dress up clothes are necessary.

PattiGe and hobse,

I'll be looking for a review of your trip when you return. My husband and I are considering booking this expedition for later this year or early 2011. We will be interested in hearing about what wildlife you saw as well as your shipboard experiences and landings.

We traveled to the Galapagos with Lindblad/Nat Geo in February 2009 and had a great trip.

Have a safe journey.

Linda

PattiGe and hobse,

I too will be anxiously awaiting a trip report. I have this tour booked for Nov. 27, 2010.

Linda,

I have been reading the Lindblad Expedition daily reports for this season on the Explorer and getting very excited for my trip. If you read them you can get a good idea of what is done everyday and what wildlife they are seeing.

Julie

• 11 months later...

I just surprised my dad this Christmas with an Antarctic expedition in early 2012 for my 40th B-day and so far we're leaning toward the Explorer. I would be very interested in seeing some first hand pictures of the ship and the cabins if possible as we are still debating whether to book Cat 3,4, 6 or 7. Right now we're leaning towward at Cat 4 since I doubt there will be much cabin time to really leverage a balcony but at the same time I want to ensure we have sufficient space for that length of cruise.

Have looked at A&K aboard their new ship but didn't see anywhere that they had Kayaking as an option which we are definitely excited about. Anyone know if they offer this option?

I am getting ready to go to Antarctica on the National Geographic Explorer on January 7. I am pretty much prepared and have read a ton of trip reports on various boards but I have some miscellaneous questions that I have not seen addressed. I usually travel independently and have never been on a cruise, tour or expedition so I'd like to know what to expect.

1) What is the drinking water situation on the boat? My understanding is that the cost of drinks is included in the trip. Do they leave a set amounts of water bottles in my cabin each day or do I grab my own from some kind of cafe? Both me and my companion always drink A LOT of water (probably 4 liters each a day) and want to make sure we will be getting enough to drink.

There are water dispensers on the main deck and the mud room deck to refill your water bottle (provided in the cabin). The bar staff can also refill bottles.

2) What sites are included in the Santiago City tour that is part of our trip? Are Cerro San Cristobal or Parque San Luca included? We are arriving one day earlier than everyone else and might explore a bit on our own but don't want to replicate sites?

2) How does the shift system work? There are 148 travelers on the boat and I read that only 100 people are allowed to land at once. Do we all see the same sites? How is it determined who is on the first shift or the second? Is there one you prefer? I would think the first is best so you don't have to wait around.

Everyone sees the same sites. There is a system for having 100 people on shore at any time. You can go back to the ship at any time really - some people stay on shore longer than others. Being first on shore is only important if you're a photog and its a sunrise landing :-)

4) Where is the best place to buy souvenirs? Port Lockroy (assuming we visit), boat shop or is Ushuaia after we disembark? I don't want to rush to buy stuff in the beginning but a lot of people have requested souvenirs from us and don't want to miss my opportunity. Do we have time to buy souvenirs in Ushuaia after we disembark? My understanding is that we would be allowed to explore before our flight back to Santiago but I wanted to be sure.

Depends on what you want. Bear in mind that if you arrive in Ushuaia early on the last day, most of the shops are closed - they are open late and re-open late in the morning. You can usually disembark the ship when it arrives in Ushuaia the night before to go shopping etc. Port Lockroy is the usual fare of caps, t-shirts, postcards, books etc.

Archived