Airfare to Amsterdam.

jparilla

Can anybody tell me what average cost for airfare to Amsterdam is in June? We recently booked the June 2, 2005 Celebrity Century Cruise leaving from there and Celebrity wanted to charge us around $1,000.00. Is this price normal for that time of year?

I'm assuming by your location that you'll fly out of NYC? If yes, you will find better airfares if you book it yourself instead of going through Celebrity. Just for grins, I put your trip into http://www.itasoftware.com using the dates 5/31-6/14 and came up with four airlines offering non-stops, all fairly lockstep around $830RT (Delta, Continental, KLM & Northwest). That is booking now. Will fares come down? Who knows for sure. Sales for early summer travel to Europe traditionally start showing up anytime from now through March. It just depends on how risk tolerant you are to waiting for what you hope will be a better deal?

Early indicators are that summer airfares to Europe will be in the same ballpark as last year. Maybe someone who did a NYC-AMS roundtrip last June will respond so you can have some sort of idea about your chances of getting something below $800.

You may pick up some add'l pointers from this fairly recent thread:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=114631

Good luck, and have a great trip!

Hi.

We flew to Amsterdam in the summer of 2003. It was a lot cheaper to fly on Virgin Atlantic from JFk to London and then get on British Midland Airlines to Amsterdam. You can get some good deals if you don't mind the stop. We ended up spending a few days on London before our cruise. Good Luck.

HI.

We paid about $500.00 per person. I did some quick checking for you and did not see any good deals on Virgin Atlantic. I am traveling to London this summer on Air India. I checked their website and you can fly round trip from JFK to London for $422.00. Round trip from London to Amsterdam is about 54 Pounds ( about 100.00). So you can get your airfare for about $522.00

Round trip from London to Amsterdam is about 54 Pounds ( about 100.00).
Is that from Heathrow? With whom?

This is a great way to put a trip together, but a word of advice for costing purposes: Unless you're going to stop in London anyway, when looking at fares from London to Amsterdam you must consider the costs and time of getting from one airport to another if the apparently cheap fare involves changing airports.

Travelling through London to Amsterdam can be done on the same airport, mostly Heathrow.

However, if you have 2 different airlines on 2 different tickets, be aware that luggage freedom is only 20 kgs. p.p. on european flights. So you then you might have to pay for the excess luggage.

Since you're in the NYC area, you should look at the NY Times Sunday travel section for consolidators. There are always lots of little ads with very good deals. You can also check with on-line consolidators like airdeals.com and justfares.com.

Archived