More Newby Questions

emen822

I am taking my first cruise with my family on the Mariner in March. I have a few questions that I hope someone can help me with:

(1) if we eat at Chops/Portofinos (which I plan to), is it a set fee and does it include the tip? What about Johnny Rockets?

(2) if we decided to eat at those restaurants on a formal night, do they have formal night there too? (I don't necessarily plan to do this, just curious if they follow the same routine as the regular dining room).

(3) Parasailing/Snorkeling - any idea if we could do them in St. Maarten or St. Thomas. We are also going to Nassau but I think we want to do the dolphin encounter there.

(4) Which is the best place to shop for jewels? Any personal recommendations?

(5) Is it safe to use your credit card on the island or is cash the better choice?

(6) I thought I read on here that you can have everything removed from your mini bar when you get to your room? Is that true? And can you bring cans of soda onboard. I thought (again) that I read somewhere that you can get them at a local store and carry them on in a regular grocery bag.

(7) I also heard that the ice show is not to be missed. When can you get tickets for that show?

(8) Are the pools filled when we are docked at the ports?

I think that's about all now. I'm so excited for this trip and these boards have been a great source of information. Thank you all for any tips you can give this newby! :)

It is a set fee. I believe $20-25 per person this does not include alcohol. As for tipping some say it is included but most do tip on top. Johnny Rockets think is $3.95/person, tip is not included but icecream is.

The dress is for the night wherever you are ( althought those in the Windjammer will be far more causal).

Some of your other questions will be answered shortly.

Ice show tickets are announced in your programme, best day IMO is Tuesday.

Pools remain filled throughout your trip unless they require cleaning for any number of reasons.

(4) From what I've read, not personal experience, St. Maarten is the place to buy jewelry.

(6) RCI, at least, has issued no rules against carrying-on soft drinks, for our two cruises -- published rules only prohibited the carrying-on of alcoholic drinks.

I have on occasion asked to have the refrigerator mini bar stuff removed and it was, but it was just placed on a shelf in our room, not taken elsewhere. We then used it for soda, water, etc that we had brought with us.

The ice shows are great and at least on AOS tickes were not a problem but watch the daily information as to when to get them.

I leave cash tips in the specialty rest. and BTW Portofino's is fabulous.

Pools will be filled in port generally except not always when boarding and normally not when disembarking.

Have a wonderful time. I'm sure you'll be addicted by the time you return, just like the rest of us!

Johnny Rockets- there is a service fee which does not include tip or drinks..

Dress code in Portofinos will be according to the dress code on the ship for dinner. In Johnny Rockets or the buffet the dress is ALWAYS casual.

I have always carried my 12 pack of sodas onboard as I check in. Never was taken from me nor was it ever questioned. I take a small 12 can cooler to keep my stuff cold as those refrigerators dont do a good enough job.

(3) I would snorkel at St Thomas (Coki Beach-get there early, or Megans Bay) and Parasail at St Maarten.

(4) I would highly recommend St Thomas for Jewelry. We have purchased at Omni Jewelers, Cardow, and Beverly's and everything has appraised for nearly double what we paid in St Thomas.

(5) Credit Card is very safe, but cash may get you a little better deal, especially in jewelry

(8) The pools may remained filled, but on every ship I have been on they had a net stretched over the pool for most of the morning.

Hope this helps

You'll love the Mariner. We sailed on her over Christmas 2004! The staff are excellent and very accomodating.

We took on sodas and bottled waters, we packed them in a child sized suitcase. We are not big soda drinkers, so we took enough and didn't buy the soda cards. I would take a small soft sided cooler next time, the fridges don't keep things very cold. Our room attendant took everything out of our fridge for us, no problem. Just be sure to check your bill on the last night to make sure there aren't any minibar charges. Our bill was fine, I have read on here that sometimes mistakes happen.

My biggest suggestion is, when you board the ship you will get a Compass that will give highlights for the week, and it will say when they will give out tickets for the ice show. Be in line early so that you get the time that you want.

Portofino's and Chops do have an extra fee, which does include tip, but we gave a few extra dollars, the food and service were excellent!

Johnny Rockets has a service fee, we didn't have a desire to eat there, but the kids took advantage of it with the Adventure Ocean, dinner w/ the staff.

Sorry, I can't comment on the ports that you are going on, ours was a Western Carribean Cruise. But there will plenty of shopping seminars on the ship, that will talk about the best places to go to.

As far as excursions, I found a lot of info on the ports section of CruiseCritic.

Have a Great Cruise! The Mariner is Beautiful!

ZDMMOM

NB - on credit cards, if the product turns out to be defective or not as advertised, you have considerable clout through the credit card company.

If you pay cash, well, caaveat emptor.

Haven't been on the Mariner, but her sister the Explorer was fine. Have fun!

WOW, you've got questions! ;)

When you dine in the specialty restaurants its pretty much always formal. The burger places are casual. I generally tip in Portofinos and you will love it.

I agree on Megans Bay in St Thomas, take a taxi and do it on your own (much cheaper) and then at your own pace. You'll see a bunch of people come in and leave but mostly quiet. Shopping is also great in St Thomas.

We always bring extra soda/wine so just tell your steward to remove everything from the fridge and he will do it immediately.

Enjoy your cruise, you are on a great ship

NB - on credit cards, if the product turns out to be defective or not as advertised, you have considerable clout through the credit card company.

If you pay cash, well, caaveat emptor.

Haven't been on the Mariner, but her sister the Explorer was fine. Have fun!

My DH and I just returned from Cabo and I have a double charge on my creditcard for a purse I bought.

The cc company is currently looking into it for me. Be sure and keep all receipts.

Archived