Excursions in Seward

calmac

We will be in Seward for a full day (8am - 12pm) and are considering the following excursions. Has anyone tried these? Are they recommended?

There will be 3 of us - husband and I travelling with our 9 year old son.

Godwin Glacier Dog Sled Tour - $360 (no indication on website of length of trip?)

Resurrection Bay Tour - $59 (3 hours in the afternoon)

Budget Queen - you recommended a full day cruise but I think our 9 year old might find that too long.

Thanks in advance for all your replies - I'm finding these boards VERY useful for planning our first ever cruise.

We did the full day Kenai Fjords cruise last summer with our kids, then 9 & 11 and they loved it. But, we had a beautiful day, saw great scenery and lots of animals. In less ideal conditions, I could see them going a little stir crazy after a while. When you say excursion, are you just there for a day as part of a cruise or are you planning on your own? We waited until a couple of days before to see how we felt and what the weather would be like before we booked, so if you have that kind of independence you can play it by ear.

Does the Glacier Dog Sled tour fly you someplace? Because it could be pretty warm right in Seward. We went to Seavey's Dog Sled place for a "dry" ride and to visit with the dogs, but our "real" dog sledding was done out of Skagway by helicopter. Kids LOVED that excursion.

Since you ask- skip the bay cruise- just not worth it, be up early sailing into Seward and you will see about the same thing. :) There is plenty to do in Seward, request their visitor guide http://www.sewardak.org The trolley might be a good option with a look at the Sealife Center? Inquire direct at Godwin's for duration of their tour.

We did the dogsledding in Seward with Godwin Glacier. Short flight to Godwin Glacier to dog camp. Got to spend a lot of time sledding and enjoying the dogs. They offer discounts for kids. We were picked up downtown and then taken directly to ship. Kenai Fjords had taken our luggage to ship for us when we checked in for their all day cruise. The 6 hr cruise is a must for seeing the area.

As an aside. Ray's Waterfront Restaurant was terrific. Get reservations if possible.

Larry

Thanks for the information on the dogsledding, Larry. I've contacted Godwin Glacier directly by e-mail for more information on times. We're visiting Seward as part of our cruise (NCL Dream R/T from Seattle) so no need to worry about luggage.

From the comments we'll pass on the Resurrection Bay cruise and have an early morning viewing as we sail into Seward. May still consider the half day option.

Thanks to everyone for your advice.

There is also ERA that does helicopter glacier landings.There are new owners of the airport here in Seward and rumor has it there will be some options in some flight seeing and Anchorage/Seward air charters.Other options to consider doing are Sealife center,kayaking,horseback riding,fishing(my favorite wildlife cruise!)and Exit Glacier..WARNING...DON'T do The Real Alaska tour.....it is the real Alaska rip-off. Real Alaska tour includes a lunch and trip to Exit glacier(owned by Iditaride btw) and is $120 pp.What costs so much there?? GAS???(OUCH)A much cheaper way is on your own.....Seavey's wheeled dogsled ride cost is $40 per adult ..You can eat lunch anywhere in town for $10 or under and a taxi to the glacier & Iditaride for $50 rt. for up to 5 people and you'll get personlized service on YOUR schedule. To sum it up saying there is 5 people real aslaska tour would be 5x120=$600.. take a taxi...5x60=$300 breakdown on that is $40 for Iditaride $10 pp for taxi and $10 pp allowance for lunch anywhere in town of YOUR choice...I hope I saved somebody some $$$$.Enjoy Alaska!

Thanks for the additional info, GlacierLady. Is there anyone else in Seward who does dogsledding (I've not heard from Godwin Glacier yet)? We were thinking of going to Exit Glacier and perhaps the Sealife Centre on our own but want to know what the timings for dogsledding are before we make any more definite plans.

Looking forward to heading your way in July!

I did some checking and Era will not be here this year but Godwin will be. I'm sure they will get back to you on a reservation.One very important thing to remember is that the helicopter is all dependant on what the weather does. I would have back-up plans in case of cancellation.Exit glacier and the Sealife center both can be done at the last minute.~~Enjoy Alaska~~

Archived