Norwegian Pearl Gratuities

bennob66

Thanks for all the replies. We were on the RCL Legend Of The Seas 2 years ago when the auto tipping was added to out on board account. We were still meant to tip $3 each morning on top of this for the breakfast to be brought to our room and also every time a tray of tea was delivered. I thought this was a bit unreasonable and so am a bit wary now you see. I can see though that with FS dining it is the way to go to be fair to all the staff, I just hope that NCL don't have recommendations in the cabins for further tips like RCL did on the L of the Seas.

[quote name='bennob66']Thanks for all the replies. We were on the RCL Legend Of The Seas 2 years ago when the auto tipping was added to out on board account. We were still meant to tip $3 each morning on top of this for the breakfast to be brought to our room and also every time a tray of tea was delivered. I thought this was a bit unreasonable and so am a bit wary now you see. I can see though that with FS dining it is the way to go to be fair to all the staff, I just hope that NCL don't have recommendations in the cabins for further tips like RCL did on the L of the Seas.[/QUOTE]

Room service staff are not included in the tip pool and should be tipped extra. To avoid this extra tip, go get your own coffee in the morning.

[quote name='hamrag']No, I do not and have not. [/quote]

[COLOR=Black]You made my point to you so well. Thank you.

If you did not and have not, how do you know it is so easy to reduce/modify your DSC for "whatever reason you choose"? There lies the bone of contention!!!

PE[/COLOR]

[quote=Planer's Edge;22529240][COLOR=black]If you did not and have not, how do you know it is so easy to reduce/modify your DSC for "whatever reason you choose"? There lies the bone of contention!!![/COLOR]

[COLOR=black]PE[/COLOR][/quote]

How many ways are there to say I witnessed "a mass withdrawal of DSC mainly by Brits on the Jade sailing 30 May 2008"??:confused: and I cannot imagine that mass of people all gave the same reason!
:rolleyes:

[quote name='hamrag']How many ways are there to say I witnessed "a mass withdrawal of DSC mainly by Brits on the Jade sailing 30 May 2008"??:confused: and I cannot imagine that mass of people all gave the same reason!
:rolleyes:[/quote]
[COLOR=Black]
So you admit you have no idea what they put down as a reason to remove the DSC from their onboard accounts. As you say, you "witnessed" a mass withdrawal. On this alone you made the assumption that you can remove the DSC without just cause?

Now let me present a scenario that fits your "model". UK bookings have been allowed to prepay their gratuities/DSC for quite some time now (also now available to US bookings). Let's just say there was a group booking of "Brits" who happen to have prepaid their gratuities/DSC. They board the ship and everything is going fine till someone checks their onboard account and discover they were charged $12pp/day for Service Charges. They chat with their friends in the group and discover this has happened to all of them. They all go to the Reception Desk to rectify the situation and you happen to be there to "witness a mass withdrawal" of DSC's, where it could possibly have been a correction for over charges??

Pretty plausible assumption don't you think?

I have based my inputs, to the general DSC discussions, on information I have gleaned from a couple of Hotel Directors that I know quite well and respect even more. They say that DSC's can be removed/modified with just cause after you give NCL a chance to rectify the situation. If however someone comes to the front desk and starts being "very unreasonable" fill out the paper work and forward it to management . Management will then contact the passenger in a more private setting and try to resolve the situation. Yes, some will still be unreasonable and get their DSC's removed. These passengers are then flagged for review by crew if they receive cash from these individuals. The crew either know the cabin number of passengers handing them cash because they are their room steward or in the dining area the passenger has supplied their key card for beverage purchases. If neither of these apply the crew member simply asks for a name. My sources say they have yet to see any of these passengers hand out any cash to crew members. If however these passengers hand cash to bar servers there is really nothing that can be done.

PE[/COLOR]

[quote=Planer's Edge;22531116]
[COLOR=black]Now let me present a scenario that fits your "model". UK bookings have been allowed to prepay their gratuities/DSC for quite some time now (also now available to US bookings). Let's just say there was a group booking of "Brits" who happen to have prepaid their gratuities/DSC. They board the ship and everything is going fine till someone checks their onboard account and discover they were charged $12pp/day for Service Charges. They chat with their friends in the group and discover this has happened to all of them. They all go to the Reception Desk to rectify the situation and you happen to be there to "witness a mass withdrawal" of DSC's, where it could possibly have been a correction for over charges??[/COLOR]

[COLOR=black]Pretty plausible assumption don't you think?[/COLOR]

If you have an overactive imagination, then perhaps!!:) Please stop your stupidity, read the post I have referred you to and read for yourself the "reason" why the tips/gratuities were removed. Do you still actually believe that every single person would state the same reason for removal??:rolleyes:

You can hide behind a"couple" of nameless HD's if you like, but your argument is defeated when you write "Yes, some will still be unreasonable and get their DSC's removed".....cruise ships carry large numbers of unreasonable people, just like CC.

[quote name='hamrag']If you have an overactive imagination, then perhaps!!:) Please stop your stupidity, read the post I have referred you to and read for yourself the "reason" why the tips/gratuities were removed. Do you still actually believe that every single person would state the same reason for removal??:rolleyes:

You can hide behind a"couple" of nameless HD's if you like, but your argument is defeated when you write "Yes, some will still be unreasonable and get their DSC's removed".....cruise ships carry large numbers of unreasonable people, just like CC.[/quote]

[COLOR=Black]Now you are calling me stupid? I gave you a viable scenario. Unless of course you can tell me that you read each every one of their (the Brits) excuses for removing their DSC.

I assure I am not hiding behind nameless HD's. The two I am referring to are Hugo Vanosmael of the Dawn and Denis Prguda of the Pearl. Although I believe that Denis is on vacation right now, oh that's right, I know his replacement, Mathias, also. My argument is in no way diminished by saying "Yes, some will still be unreasonable and get their DSC's removed". Hotel Directors did not get where there are today by not being incredible diplomats and problem solvers.

All this being said I am signing off from this repartee and I will allow you the last word if you must. We will continue to disagree as you have your beliefs and I have mine. Which ever one is correct remains to be seen, but I will stand by more sources.

Buh bye!

PE
[/COLOR]

[quote=Planer's Edge;22522394][COLOR=black]Hamrag...I will stand on my last statement. I can only think of one member that is more active on these DSC threads about it being completely okay to remove them and handing out the cash instead. Yes, you do answer the question as you see the answer to be. As I have said all along, the DSC can be removed/modified with just cause after you give them the opportunity to alleviate the concern. But, you always come back with "you can remove the DSC for whatever reason you choose", and on that we will continue to disagree. Now, do you have actual experience removing the DSC and did you hand out the equivalent amount of cash? Or are you just going on what you think can happen?[/COLOR]

[COLOR=black]Now silence will prevail as it pertains to your take on this and specifically responses directed toward you.[/COLOR]

[COLOR=black]Over and out.[/COLOR]

Hi there Planer - I am here. I would comment, but you seem to have your hands full. Your half truths are tough to defend sometimes.

By the way, hamrag is right - and I have done it.

[quote=Planer's Edge;22533510][COLOR=black] I am signing off from this repartee and I will allow you the last word if you must. [/COLOR][/quote]

Am happy for Simon B to have the "last word".....and no, he is not an alias, nor have I any idea who he is....but he does talk sense.

[quote name='Simon_B']Hi there Planer - I am here. I would comment, but you seem to have your hands full. Your half truths are tough to defend sometimes.

By the way, hamrag is right - and I have done it.[/QUOTE]

Simon, have you done it recently and for absolutely no good reason? Yes, until about a year or so ago it was easier, but not suggested. What hamrag is referring to happened almost 2 years ago and it seemed to be all one group. No one is saying, you can not remove the gratuities we are saying 1- if you do and tip separately the service person still has to turn the tips in and 2-it isn't an easy as hamrag makes it sound. You do have to have a good reason and have made an attempt at solving any problems prior to removing or adjusting the amount...

Nita

[quote name='newmexicoNita']Simon, have you done it recently and for absolutely no good reason? Yes, until about a year or so ago it was easier, but not suggested. What hamrag is referring to happened almost 2 years ago and it seemed to be all one group. No one is saying, you can not remove the gratuities we are saying 1- if you do and tip separately the service person still has to turn the tips in and 2-it isn't an easy as hamrag makes it sound. You do have to have a good reason and have made an attempt at solving any problems prior to removing or adjusting the amount...

Nita[/quote]

Nita, I did it and I had a good reason. My point is there is no hard questioning, no proof required, no insistence that they try and fix something first - all the oft-repeated threats by some on here - you simply go and ask them, fill out a very short, very simple form, and it is done. It takes about 90 seconds.

My good reason is I do not believe in tip sharing. If you look at my post history, you'll see discussions about it with the usual crew (Planer, smeyer, sottovoce, etc. - the same people that always respond the loudest in the tipping threads). I actually have the experience and can share it and choose not to be shouted down nor bothered by their repeated insults.

[quote name='Simon_B']Nita, I did it and I had a good reason. My point is there is no hard questioning, no proof required, no insistence that they try and fix something first - all the oft-repeated threats by some on here - you simply go and ask them, fill out a very short, very simple form, and it is done. It takes about 90 seconds.

My good reason is I do not believe in tip sharing. If you look at my post history, you'll see discussions about it with the usual crew (Planer, smeyer, sottovoce, etc. - the same people that always respond the loudest in the tipping threads). I actually have the experience and can share it and choose not to be shouted down nor bothered by their repeated insults.[/QUOTE]

No one meant this as an insult, I certainly didn't. I am surprised you have done this recently and there were no questions asked. I am sure you have discussed it with me as well because this is one of the subjects I always take part in..

Nita

[quote name='Simon_B']Hi there Planer - I am here. I would comment, but you seem to have your hands full. Your half truths are tough to defend sometimes.

By the way, hamrag is right - and I have done it.[/quote]
I don't think there was any question in anyone's mind that you would remove the DSC. It's written all over everything you post here.

[quote name='Simon_B']Nita, I did it and I had a good reason. My point is there is no hard questioning, no proof required, no insistence that they try and fix something first - all the oft-repeated threats by some on here - you simply go and ask them, fill out a very short, very simple form, and it is done. It takes about 90 seconds.

My good reason is I do not believe in tip sharing. If you look at my post history, you'll see discussions about it with the usual crew (Planer, smeyer, sottovoce, etc. - the same people that always respond the loudest in the tipping threads). I actually have the experience and can share it and choose not to be shouted down nor bothered by their repeated insults.[/quote]
I'm guessing that you looked hard for that "good reason." You expose yourself and your motivation with your opinion of tip sharing.

When you go to a restaurant do you ask whether the tips are shared? If they are, do you walk out? If not, why not? Or do you just not leave a tip in protest? Do you only stick to your principles when you can stiff a hard-working ship's crew?

[quote name='Simon_B']If you look at my post history, you'll see discussions about it with the usual crew (Planer, smeyer, sottovoce, etc. - [B]the same people that always respond the loudest in the tipping threads[/B]). I actually have the experience and can share it and choose not to be shouted down nor bothered by their repeated insults.[/QUOTE]

I guess I fall into the "etc" along with most on this board.:)

[quote name='hamrag']No, I do not and have not. If you cannot be bothered reading my historic post referred to in my post #47 above, it refers to a mass withdrawal of DSC mainly by Brits on the Jade sailing 30 May 2008 at [B]which I was acutely embarassed and angry![/B] Suggest you take the time to read it though.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='hamrag']Am happy for Simon B to have the "last word".....and no, he is not an alias, nor have I any idea who he is....[B]but he does talk sense[/B].[/QUOTE]

"he does talk sense" but I assume you are "acutely embarassed and angry" by his actions?;)

[QUOTE=Planer's Edge;22536862][COLOR=Black]Enjoy your anonymity while you can. Pretty soon you will have a target on your back just like Monte and me. :D

PE[/COLOR][/QUOTE]

I traded in my target for a superman logo :D

Now bullets (and insults) bounce off my chest!

[quote name='barbgazz']I wish they would make the service charge untouchable, then these questions would not be asked. The OP is from Australia and tipping is not done where he is from, so obviously, he does not intend to tip at all. Do I have it right, OP?[/quote]

The OP just asked a simple question, "Are the tips set in place or can they be adjusted bc I prefer to give tips in person". No where in his post did he state that he intended on removing the tips and not tipping anyone.

Please be fair and non-judgemental when choosing to answer questions here on this board.

And to answer the OP's question, the tips can be adjusted once on board bc I have done it myself. Just like anyone else if I feel you weren't doing your job correctly than I feel it isn't necessary to reward poor service and it shouldn't be expected that I "HAVE TO".

[QUOTE=Planer's Edge;22536862][COLOR=Black]Enjoy your anonymity while you can. Pretty soon you will have a target on your back just like Monte and me. :D

PE[/COLOR][/QUOTE]

[quote name='mbisson']I traded in my target for a superman logo :D

Now bullets (and insults) bounce off my chest![/QUOTE]

Back into hiding, enjoying my "anonymity". ;)

[quote name='cruizinrican']The OP just asked a simple question, "Are the tips set in place or can they be adjusted bc I prefer to give tips in person". No where in his post did he state that he intended on removing the tips and not tipping anyone.

Please be fair and non-judgemental when choosing to answer questions here on this board.

And to answer the OP's question, the tips can be adjusted once on board bc I have done it myself. Just like anyone else if I feel you weren't doing your job correctly than I feel it isn't necessary to reward poor service and it shouldn't be expected that I "HAVE TO".[/quote]

[COLOR=Black]Well, I guess you told us. :rolleyes:

PE[/COLOR]

Archived