New airline rules

ISLAND DIVA

Just wondering how people are coping with the new airline rules of no carry on luggage except a small purse.We always had a carry on packed so if the airline delayed luggage or worst lost it we would have a few days of essentials (bathing suit,shorts etc)until it caught up to us.It will make it interesting packing the extras that you usually pack the morning you get off the ship,that you have with you from the night before.Will have to repack in the ship terminal.That would be chaos.Then you have weight restrictons ,extra baggage fees and of course the liquids.

What new rules?

I just flew this week (just before New Years) and didn't have any new rules. But, then, I didn't fly outside the country ... just domestically. I understand there are some new regulations regarding flights departing from international points and coming into the United States.

For those who insist some "dress code" violators sleep in their clothes, wait until disembarkation day. Zero carry ons mean all clothes but those worn home would have to be packed and in the hall the previous evening. That would make the new routine: Pack everything but the next day's clothes, change to next day's clothes, put luggage in hallway, go to bed, get up in slept in clothes and later disembark and continue to airport with tiny purse or small laptop.

Our April cruise ends in Vancouver, HAL isn't running the bus to Seattle, Quik Shuttle doesn't stop at Canada Place that early, we don't do well managing luggage... The new plan is to stay in Vancouver one or two days post-cruise, do last minute packing at the hotel and take a cab to the airport. The alternate plan, also possible, is to simply cancel the cruise. An even better scenario would be for these new restrictions to be removed by then.

This is what I found on the TSA website

Q: Do passengers need to do anything differently to prepare for checkpoint security procedures? Has anything changed in terms of what passengers can bring in their carry-on or checked bags?

A: At this time, security checkpoint requirements for passengers departing U.S. airports remain the same. Passengers do not need to do anything differently, but they may notice additional security measures at the airport.

Q: Should passengers plan to arrive at airports earlier than normal?

A: Passengers traveling within the United States should give themselves extra time to check in and proceed through the security checkpoint before their flight, especially during the busy holiday travel season. TSA advises that passengers traveling on international flights to U.S. destinations allow extra time for security and arrive an additional hour earlier.

Q. How long will these measures remain in place?

A: TSA will continuously review these measures to ensure the highest levels of security.

For those who insist some "dress code" violators sleep in their clothes, wait until disembarkation day. Zero carry ons mean all clothes but those worn home would have to be packed and in the hall the previous evening. That would make the new routine: Pack everything but the next day's clothes, change to next day's clothes, put luggage in hallway, go to bed, get up in slept in clothes and later disembark and continue to airport with tiny purse or small laptop.[/Quote]

Nonsense. Disembark with a bag and then check it at the airport. This isn't rocket science, you know.

Our April cruise ends in Vancouver, HAL isn't running the bus to Seattle, Quik Shuttle doesn't stop at Canada Place that early, we don't do well managing luggage... The new plan is to stay in Vancouver one or two days post-cruise, do last minute packing at the hotel and take a cab to the airport. The alternate plan, also possible, is to simply cancel the cruise. An even better scenario would be for these new restrictions to be removed by then.

Chances are that by April the regulations may well have been relaxed. But, if they're not, in April Quick Shuttle departs from their Vancouver Downtown location at 9:30 am. Get a taxi from Canada Place to that location and wait. Or, find out which Vancouver Hotel it is they depart from at 8:45 am and take a taxi to that one.

For those that aren't aware it's us lucky Canadians and International flyers that can no longer bring a carry on. It makes no sense that the those flying within the US are still able to take carry on. It should be a level playing field.

For those who insist some "dress code" violators sleep in their clothes, wait until disembarkation day. Zero carry ons mean all clothes but those worn home would have to be packed and in the hall the previous evening. That would make the new routine: Pack everything but the next day's clothes, change to next day's clothes, put luggage in hallway, go to bed, get up in slept in clothes and later disembark and continue to airport with tiny purse or small laptop.

The Vacouver-Seattle bus transfer is now showing up for our cruise. No price yet.

Nonsense. Disembark with a bag and then check it at the airport. This isn't rocket science, you know.

It does cost to check extra bags so it may not be rocket science but it's going to cost more. I'm not willing to pay $50 or more for my carry on. This comment was uncalled for.

It does cost to check extra bags so it may not be rocket science but it's going to cost more. I'm not willing to pay $50 or more for my carry on. This comment was uncalled for.

I read that Air Canada is waiving the fee for an extra bag (carry on) on their Website. Are all the airlines flying from Canada to the US following the same example?

I would hate to have my laptop and all my camera equipment not with me.

Not all international flights are affected. I've just checked with Qantas and on flights to and from the US and Australia you are still allowed one carry-on plus a personal item such as a purse, briefcase or backpack. There is no way I would check either my camera gear or laptop!

I actually work for an international airlinein Australia, and have not heard of no carry on luggage in the cabin. I have heard where there is extra security screening of carry on luggage and persons besided the xray machines and metal detectors

Cheers

Michael

IF you can't carry-on a bag, then only take two bags and check both of them. You're spending thousands for this cruise ... what's an additional hundred-or-so for luggage?

I would hate to have my laptop and all my camera equipment not with me.

Agreed ... the thought of having to check my 17-inch MacBook Pro and my camera equipment really disturbs me. TSA will need to do something about Airport security for checked luggage, to keep airport handlers (and TSA checkers themselves) from stealing from our bags.

I read that Air Canada is waiving the fee for an extra bag (carry on) on their Website.

Good for them. All airlines should be required to do this by TSA if/when such regulations are actually implemented. Already American Airlines will check your carry-on for no-charge if there's no place for it in the cabin (and assuming it is actually within the size limitations for carry-on luggage).

Laptops and cameras are among the permitted items on flights from Canada to the US. I really do think carry ons will be allowed by the time we cruise in 3 1/2 months.

As for airlines checking properly sized carry ons, we had a bad experience with this last fall. The second leg was a smaller plane and they gate checked all but the smallest carry ons. Our bag was fully within the carry on size and weight limtis and we were assured cameras, medicine etc. were fine since it wasn't going with the regular baggage. Our carry on wasn't at the gate when we got off; everyone else's was. It had been somehow sent to the baggage carousal. We ended up with a damaged camera.

While the new rules may be a pain for international travel, let us remember that there was an attempted attack on the US on the most beloved of all Christian holidays. Granted - there were major problems with intelligence prior to the flight, but airport security remains the last line of defense. And let us never ever forget how commercial airplanes were used as a weapons of mass destruction on 9-11. If it cost an extra few dollars to check a bag - so be it. Safety and security is more important. Some things really are priceless.

IF you can't carry-on a bag, then only take two bags and check both of them. You're spending thousands for this cruise ... what's an additional hundred-or-so for luggage?

For some people, who can not afford 3 or 4 cruises per year, and save everything they can for one yearly trip - even 100.00 is a big deal.

At the moment, most of the restrictions are being enforced on flights from Canada into the US.

and we air passengers are losing.Knee jerk responses are rediculous. Profiling is the answer. Stop hassling little old ladies and look for the young men from Africa, the middle east and Indonesia. Our constitution doesn't guarantee them their rights.

and we air passengers are losing.Knee jerk responses are rediculous. Profiling is the answer. Stop hassling little old ladies and look for the young men from Africa, the middle east and Indonesia. Our constitution doesn't guarantee them their rights.

This will most certainly turn controversial, but I am with you in thinking.:) Don't forget women in the equation. Lots of them have been recruited for evil doings, as well.

While the new rules may be a pain for international travel, let us remember that there was an attempted attack on the US on the most beloved of all Christian holidays. Granted - there were major problems with intelligence prior to the flight, but airport security remains the last line of defense. And let us never ever forget how commercial airplanes were used as a weapons of mass destruction on 9-11.

I'd like to make two points. First of all, the commercial airplanes used on 9-11 were all domestic flights. Yet the stringent regulations now in effect (at least for Canada-U.S.) do not apply to domestic flights. Reality check, please!

Secondly, the most ludicrous restriction of all in the current batch is the "one-hour measure" imposed on passengers on flights from Canada to the U.S. (presumably also on flights to the U.S. from other international destinations). Passengers are not permitted to leave their seats during the last hour of the flight and are not even permitted to have anything on their lap (like a blanket, a pillow). The rationale? A terrorist would more likely want to detonate his device over American soil so that the impact will be more significant.

DUH! While that might apply on a flight from, say, Heathrow to New York, what about Heathrow to L.A.? Or Toronto to L.A., Seattle, San Francisco, Dallas, Houston, Denver, Tampa, etc. etc. etc.?

Does anybody ever THINK before introducing this stuff? Or is it all knee-jerk response?

Archived