Red Sea Magic Aqaba

Booked the Celebration yesterday for the 11th Feb. I see Thomson lay on a shuttle bus in Aqaba to the town centre. Our 16 yr old daughter and her 17 yr old boyfriend are coming with us this year (seperate cabins!) Is it safe for them to wander around aqaba by themselves or just sit on the beach or should we stick together.What is Aqaba like as a town and is the beach nice.

I would certainly take advantage of the shuttle bus to explore Aqaba if you can, as there is no facility to do this at any of the other ports on this cruise apart from Sharm itself. The other ports are large industrial ports (its in the small print) but there aren't any taxis in the ports,(as in European ports) so its really excursions or nothing. Where the bus drops you is just back from the sea front, with the market area behind and towards the ship- just follow your nose. I felt perfectly safe wandering around with my husband, but I'm not 16/17 (ah, youth...). We were not pestered as in North Africa or Turkey, and I would say this is a good spot to buy some souvenirs - an interesting and not intimidating place. However, your daughter is young woman - could I gently recommend that she wears clothes that are not too revealing- long shorts, not short ones, perhaps a light blouse rather than a sleeveless t- shirt? Its just about a nod to the customs of the country, and she will feel more at ease. You will have to judge whether to let them wander alone, or perhaps in a group.

The public beach is visible from the back of the ship, and if you use binos you will see that the women are covered- even for bathing. If you want to swim in our swimming costume the best idea is to go to the hotel mentioned in your excursions. I didn't do this as we enjoyed exploring the port and chilling out on the ship.

By the way, the snorkelling excursion we took later on in the cruise was amazing- still talk about it- do it if you can!:D

Happy hols

Thanks for that dalesfolk.I know what you mean about other north african countries.We went to Agadir when our girls were 12 and 15 and went to the Promenade the first night. Both girls wanted to go back to the hotel within 20 mins and wouldnt set foot outside the hotel for the rest of the week. Ruined the holiday. Hurghada ,the following year wasnt much better. So it sounds that Aqaba will be an improvement and she will be with a male so hopefully that will stop the young men bothering her.

Archived