World Cruise QM2 Change of Ports

leodis

Just received a letter from Cunard to say ports of call changed at Port Said and Mumbai. Alernative for Port Said is Sokhna and Cochin for Mumbia. Has anyone any information of these ports. I am very dissapointed with these changes as they were integral to the cruise choice.

Hi,

There is a roll call specific to the QM2 World Cruise 2010:-

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=840314&highlight=qm2+world+voyage+roll+call

I have posted comments re the changes of itinerary. I am copying and pasting information on Sokhna and Cochin below:-

Sokhna port in Egypt is a popular Red Sea destination.

Ein el Sokhna has a hot, dry climate year-round, making it a popular place at any time. Until recently, it had been a resort area that mainly attracted Egyptians. Many of the cruise travelers who come through here are touring the Red Sea area. Sokhna has a modern cruise port. Taxi and tour van service are easy to find, and many of the restaurants and shops are within walking distance.

Shopping

The Movenpick Resort has its own indoor bazaar where a variety of items can be purchased, including souvenirs and locally-produced crafts. The Porto Sokhna resort also boasts its own indoor mall. Most of the shops in this area are affiliated with one of the resorts, though there are a few independent stores.

Popular offerings include handmade womens clothing and silver and gold jewelry. Besides jewelry and clothing, other popular handcrafted items include leather and pottery. Passengers can also find souvenir items, such as magnets and stuffed animals, to take home.

Things to See

The beaches in Sokhna are the closest to Cairo. The beaches are clean, with clear water. Fans of just about any watersport should be able to find something to do. Deep sea fishing is popular here, with an abundance of fish species. There aren't any major diving centers here, but snorkeling equipment can be obtained easily. Sailboat and canoe rentals are popular. A large golf resort accomodates golfers who want to continue playing.

Cairo is a 1 to 2 hour drive from Sokhna. Van tours of the ancient Egyptian pyramids and temples are a popular activity, and many of the tour companies can pick travelers up at the cruise terminal. Modern vans with air conditioning are used, and the guides speak fluent English. These tours include lunch and time for shopping. It's an easy drive for those who prefer to rent a car, too.

St. Anthony's Monastery, thought to be the oldest surviving monastery, has recently been restored, along with the Monastery of St. Paul. They are both under the oversight of the Coptic Church. St. Anthony's monastery complex contains 5 churches, a mill, a bakery and well-tended gardens. A library with over 1,000 manuscripts and traditional icons are worth seeing. St. Anthony's Cave is a short hike from the complex and offers good opportunities for wildlife-watching. St. Paul's has 3 churches, a mill and a spring.

Restaurants and Bars

The Stella di Mare resort complex has its own Italian restaurant, as well as a seafood restaurant, and Lebanese food. Nubia serves Asian dishes. Al-Gezirah Restaurant offers barbeque and seafood, a popular food item in the Red Sea area. Some Western chains, such as KFC and Pizza Hut, are located in Sokhna.

Most of the nightlife activity takes place on Thursday and Friday nights, the weekend in Egypt. The Sailer's Bar is a popular place for drinks, and stocks brands that are popular with tourists. Several bars are set up along the beaches.

Hope this is of use. Bytheway the current temp and weather in Sokhna as at Noon 1st Jan 2010 is Sunny 23 degrees C.

Cochin.

Tourist spots in Cochin

Chinese Fishing Nets, Fort Kochi

fishingnets.jpg The chinese fishing nets (Cheenavala) are distinctly unique to Cochin. It is believed that traders from the court of the Chinese ruler Kublai Khan introduced these nets here. Oddly, these nets are found only in Kochi, outside China! Many fishermen earn their livelihood by fishing using these massive nets. A whole stretch of the coast along Fort Kochi and Vypeen are dotted with these nets.

Fort Kochi beach

A stroll along the beach, particularly at sunset with the chinese fishing nets and sailing ships in the background, is a memorable experience. Many European style bungalows can be seen along the shoreline. The coastal stretch has loads of small stalls, which make on demand mouth-watering traditional cuisines using freshly caught fish.

St. Francis Church, Fort Kochi

stfrancischurch.jpg It is the oldest church built by Europeans in India. On his 3rd visit to Kerala, Vasco da Gama, the Portuguese trader who reached India from Europe by sea, fell ill and died in Kochi. He was buried in the St. Francis Church. Later his remains were taken back to Portugal. In spite of that, his burial spot inside the church has been clearly marked out.

» St. Francis Church externallink.gif

Vasco House, Fort Kochi

Vasco house, located on Rose Street, is believed to be one of the oldest Portuguese houses in India. Vasco da Gama is believed to have lived here. This house features European glass paned windows and verandahs.

Santa Cruz Basilica, Fort Kochi

santacruzbasilica2.jpg The original church, situated in Fort Kochi, was built by the Portuguese in 1505 and named as a cathedral in 1558. The British colonists destroyed the cathedral in 1795. The current structure was built in 1905 and raised to the status of a basilica by Pope John Paul II in 1984.

» Santa Cruz Basilica externallink.gif

Jewish Synagogue and Jew Town, Mattancherry

synagogueinside.jpg The synagogue, built in 1568, is magnificently decorated by Chinese tiles and Belgian chandeliers. Giant scrolls of the Old Testament can be found here. It is located near the Dutch Palace in Mattancherry.

I would recommend looking at the Roll Call as there are some interesting points that may help your cruise. You are right it is disappointing, we visited both Mumbai and Cochin in 2007 and there is no comparison between The Gateway to India and The Fishing Nets. The reasons they gave are disappointing - the QM2 must have grown since I booked in August 2008.

Best Wishdes,

Dave

I too was disappointed that we would be missing Mumbai, but Cochin sounds fascinating, and I am very excited about going there. :)

Today it seems that it is a rare cruise where we actually go to all of the ports on our original itinerary. I used to be quite annoyed by it, but have finally come to terms with the fact that changes may occur. I don't like it, but we have actually had some changes where the new ports were fantastic, so you never know!

In addition to all the wonderful Cochin city sights noted above, I would recommend a houseboat cruise through the Kerala backwaters if offered.

It was available as a shore excursion during QE2's 2 day call at Cochin during the 2007 world cruise.

We got an extra day in the scheduled call at Cochin because the call at Colombo, Sri Lanka, was canceled because of the political climate. We went into Cochin a day early, stayed a day later, and Mormugao (Goa) was the actual substitution for Sri Lanka.

The sight of large crowds lining the shoreline, on the beaches and right into the water for our sailaway from Cochin is one that I shall never forget.

The call at Mumbai was also in question for a while, but in the end we did make the visit.

HAVE A GREAT TIME!

Bobby

In addition to all the wonderful Cochin city sights noted above, I would recommend a houseboat cruise through the Kerala backwaters if offered.

It was available as a shore excursion during QE2's 2 day call at Cochin during the 2007 world cruise.

We got an extra day in the scheduled call at Cochin because the call at Colombo, Sri Lanka, was canceled because of the political climate. We went into Cochin a day early, stayed a day later, and Mormugao (Goa) was the actual substitution for Sri Lanka.

The sight of large crowds lining the shoreline, on the beaches and right into the water for our sailaway from Cochin is one that I shall never forget.

The call at Mumbai was also in question for a while, but in the end we did make the visit.

HAVE A GREAT TIME!

Bobby

Archived