Shore excursions advice - St. Thomas, Samana DR, Labadee

Our first cruise is less than 2 months away :D, we are looking to book our excursions on those islands.

What activities would you suggest for those Island (St. Thomas, Samana in DR and Labadee) I never went snorkeling/scuba diving before, I thought it'd be fun.

Is there a way we can book the tours without booking thru RCI?

If you will visit the Ports of Call boards for St. Thomas and Samana, there will be lots of information about excursions and private tours. I suggest a shiip tour at Samana as it is not a very developed area.Labadee is the RCI private "island", a gorgeous place and is basically a beach day. The only excursions avaiable are from RCI, so check the website. There is parasailing, kayaking, etc. But we just loll on the beach there.

If you want to try snorkeling- I suggest Labadee. One of our cruising friends did this in November (while Dh & I lounged on the beach) and had a wonderful time. She said this was the best snorkeling excursion she had ever had. (It was through the cruiseline, as is everything on Labadee, but the guides were marine biologists who live in that area.))

On St. Thomas the "Bones" snorkeling trip to turtle cove and BBQ on Honeymoon beach really rocks. Great crew that keeps the rum punch flowing and music playing. Really saw sea turtles snorkling and one came up to nudge our daughter. Probably thought she was a turtle. Can't say enough good things about this excursion.:)

I've done the excursion in St. Thomas as well- one had us on the Dancing Dolphin and the other on the pirate ship. Both were fantastic trips with snorkeling at a few different spots. It is such a great excursion. The crews are great, the food and drinks are great, and the snorkeling is also fantastic. They know where to go and has one of their crew in the water to show everyone around for those who want a little water tour and let others roam around the area if they choose.

• 1 year later...

If you want snorkeling, I d suggest going to St John when your in St Thomas. Try Trunk Bay...its VERY nice. The sand is liek sugar and the water is SO nice. Labadee is just a beach day. There is no reef there, jst some rocks..no good. DO NOT take the snorkeling tour in DR that goes to Catalina Island. We did this last year or so and there was so much gargage in the water, there were no fish. I took several bottles, sneakers...etc out and gave them to the tour operator and aske them why they brough us here is there is so much stuff in the water. They said its from the Hurricane, I said thats fine...so clean it up if you bring tourists here. They give you lots of Rum to forget about the crappy snorkeling.

I forgot to mention, great snorkeling at Coki Beach in St Thomas (right next to Coral World). This is more of a feel of what St Thomas is really like - locals selling food right on the beach. We were there for 10 days last year and it was our favorite beach. If you don't like local flavor, don't go here...There's a lot of trash on the pathway in, but the beach is gorgeous. Locals are very friendly and helpful. We very much enjoyed it. They rent beach chairs too. Great jerk chicken. mmm.

I would definatly say St John is the best for snorkling an easy ferry ride to and from St Thomas and just a great little island

You can book on your own and save money or book thru the ship and spend alot more but have peice of mind you wont be late to the ship

Archived