how crowded is rum point

nikkijohn

Looking at doing a tour with island marketing to go see the stingrays and than to rum point beach day. I also noticed that carnival offers the same thing but way over priced. So my guess is that it is going to be WAY crowded. We would like to see the stingrays and do a beach but I don't like to feel like a sardine on a beach. Any tips or suggestions would be awesome

We were there on Dec. 24th and it wasn't crowded at all. No problem getting a chaise or even hammock. Celebrity doesn't offer tours to Rum Point. There weren't any other cruise passengers there when we were.

My guess is if Rum point were crowded, 7 mile would be more crowded.

Crowd levels at Rum Point seem to depend on a number of variables:

- Is it a holiday or weekend day? If so, lots of locals will also fill the beach. For example, I never go on a Sunday, 'cause it's usuallly wall-to-wall people...

- How many cruise ships are in port? More ships = more potential visitors. Far fewer go to Rum Point than to SMB, but the more ships that are in port, the more people that means to crowd both beaches.

- How many of the cruise ships in port that day offer excursions to Rum Point? The number of private operators offering a Rum Point excursion doesn't really vary that much from day to day, but if there's a cruise ship excursion as well then it will be a little more crowded.

Rum Point is still a great beach, though...even if you have to share it with others. :D

What's the best way to get there on your own?

There are no buses to Rum Point. It's a 45 minute drive from the port area.

A taxi to Rum Point would be at least $80 US each way, probably more for a larger group. Also, as there are no taxis usually waiting in the area, you would need to prearrange the return trip.

You could maybe arrange with one of the taxis to act as a private guide for the day, and add a few other stops of interest, but I don't know what the rates would be for that.

Renting a car or van for the day and driving there yourself, or taking an excursion (via the ship or with a private operator) that includes a stop at Rum Point, is likely a more economically feasible way of getting there.

What's the best way to get there on your own?

If you just want to go to Rum Point, I would recommend renting a car for the day to drive over. If you want to also do snorkeling or visit stingray city, then go with a private excursion company that offers a stop at Rum Point beach. It is a beautiful beach. I love it there.

Archived