Best RVing Routes in Alaska

jaspersmommy

We fly into Anchorage on August 19, 2010 and are renting a motor home for a week prior to our cruise. After all my research, there are three road trips that interest us for the RV portion of the trip: Anchorage to Homer, Anchorage to Denali, and Anchorage to Valdez. We do not want to incur the expense of the marine highways with the RV, so each of these stretches will involve a return to Anchorage (or close to it) rather than doing a "loop".

As a result, I can't see us being able to drive all three of these routes... it would be too much of a rush, but two of them are possible. From the road trip, we are looking for the great mountain scenery, wildlife, and are interested in avoiding the more crowded, touristy areas. I know the odds of seeing beautiful scenery and wildlife are great inside Denali National Park, but we would likely not do the tour if we do head up towards Denali since neither of us is interested in doing the bus tour. Is the scenery on the highway between Anchorage and Denali National Park worth seeing if you do not intend on touring the park itself?

Given this information, for those of you that have done any of these drives, which of the routes would you select if you could only drive two of the three? Any information would be appreciated.

Thanks!:rolleyes:

It would be a shame to drive to Denali and not enter the park. The scenery between Anchorage and Denali is average at best although you do get nice views of the mountain if the weather cooperates as you drive. Anchorage to Valdez or Anchorage to Homer are nice drives although my preference would be the drive to Valdez with stops along the way, particularly at Matanuska Glacier. One of the most scenic drives in the state is along Turnagain Arm shortly after departing Anchorage towards Homer. If you do two of these routes you will be doing a lot of driving during the one week. Get a Milepost and check your distances. Another consideration is that you will be traveling along Turnagain Arm when you go to Seward to board your ship.

Jaspersmommy,

We have driven all three routes. Car to Homer and RV to Denali and Valdez - hands down our favorite is the drive to Valdez. If you do not intend to tour the park (the park is a must see at least once - the bus ride is not so bad), in our opinion, the best scenery is the drive to Valdez, then Homer and lastly to Denali.

We have been to Valdez two times in a RV and will be going back in July of 2010 before our cruise. We go to stay about a week for the fishing but I think you could do the drive to Valdez and then to Homer in a week before your cruise.

In 2007 and 2008 there was a good bit of construction on the drive to Valdez but do not know what to expect in 2010. The drive is breathtaking along with the waterfalls shortly before you reach Valdez.

If you go to Valdez, drive out to Allison Point even if you do not intend to fish.....we have seen bears there every time we have been. And you will also see the hatchery and all the salmon coming in.

Homer is absolutely beautiful too!....as is Denali park.

Have a great time in your RV travels!!

Even a week is not a lot of time for even two of the routes. I definately agree with Chilkoot, with you having no interest in Denali Park, forget that direction.

With going toward Homer, that is a day trip. Allow plenty of time along the Arm, and spend two nights at Homer. Back, you can probably get to Palmer easily, depending on your stops, and drive the Hatcher Pass. Next day drive to Valdez, with an early start and plan on it taking the day- 240 miles, about 300 from Anchorage. Highly recommended are the boat tours out of Valdez, so again, plan time there, rather than just a turn around perhaps. Staying in Copper River, would allow you the excellent option of getting into Kennicott and McCarthy, will worth it for spectacular scenery. So already you are out of time with more than 7 days here. Even though you claim you don't want to take the ferry Valdez/Whittier- and yes the cost is high, BUT, it makes excellent use of short time, and is a great loop. I have done this several times, way superior to backtracking the Glenn.

So I suggest you figure out, what you want to do and where you want to be. None of this is loaded with your wildlife priority. The top two spots for wildlife are Denali Park and Kenai Fjords. I will also speculate you are way off base in your negative thoughts for the Denali Park shuttle/tour bus. Please no flames, and it certainly is your own choice now, but it is absolutely necessary if going there, in my opinion. :)

If you can add a few more days, these two routes would be a significantly better option.

I have been to all these areas, several times, in cars and also an RV one trip. I have a RV for 10 days this year, and probably will add a few more days, which are available. I also have two days prior to the pick up with being in Seward. So likely will be a 2 week trip.

Thank you for your input. Careful thought and a great deal of planning has gone into the decisions we've already made. We all have personal preferences, along with issues such as budgeting and the amount of vacation time available that go into making our plans.

Even a week is not a lot of time for even two of the routes. I definately agree with Chilkoot, with you having no interest in Denali Park, forget that direction.

With going toward Homer, that is a day trip. Allow plenty of time along the Arm, and spend two nights at Homer. Back, you can probably get to Palmer easily, depending on your stops, and drive the Hatcher Pass. Next day drive to Valdez, with an early start and plan on it taking the day- 240 miles, about 300 from Anchorage. Highly recommended are the boat tours out of Valdez, so again, plan time there, rather than just a turn around perhaps. Staying in Copper River, would allow you the excellent option of getting into Kennicott and McCarthy, will worth it for spectacular scenery. So already you are out of time with more than 7 days here. Even though you claim you don't want to take the ferry Valdez/Whittier- and yes the cost is high, BUT, it makes excellent use of short time, and is a great loop. I have done this several times, way superior to backtracking the Glenn.

We have carefully researched the cost of putting a 32' RV onto more than one ferry. It is extremely expensive. We also have a budget for the trip and have made decisions, according to our personal preferences, where we wish to spend the money. We also prefer not to spend much time on the water during the RV portion of our trip.

So I suggest you figure out, what you want to do and where you want to be.

This is the entire purpose of my posting. I have done a lot of research, and have narrowed it down to driving one or two of three potential routes. Hence my request for others' opinions as to which of these drives are the nicest. This will assist in narrowing my choices further. We are interested in driving and viewing scenery. Activities in towns along the way are not a priority.

None of this is loaded with your wildlife priority. The top two spots for wildlife are Denali Park and Kenai Fjords.

Scenery is #1 priority, wildlife is a bonus. We also have the option of seeing Kenai Fjords after the RV portion of our trip, before we leave on the cruise.

I will also speculate you are way off base in your negative thoughts for the Denali Park shuttle/tour bus.

This speculation would be incorrect. I mentioned no negative thoughts. It is simply a personal preference - no desire to do a bus tour. I also would rather sacrifice the Denali Park tour if the drive to the park is not as spectacular as other drives.

Please no flames, and it certainly is your own choice now, but it is absolutely necessary if going there, in my opinion. :)

If you can add a few more days, these two routes would be a significantly better option.

This would be the obvious and ideal solution. However, we both work full time. As vacation time has already been allotted for other commitments throughout 2010, we don't have unlimited time for this vacation. Careful thought was put into this prior to booking the trip. This is all the time we have.

I have been to all these areas, several times, in cars and also an RV one trip. I have a RV for 10 days this year, and probably will add a few more days, which are available. I also have two days prior to the pick up with being in Seward. So likely will be a 2 week trip.

Once again, thanks.

It is hard to avoid crowded roads in Alaska during tourist season. I would pick my #1 choice road trip and do it first. I've driven the road to Denali so much that I call it a sore spot for me. RV's are not allowed to caravan, but many do. You can't pass and you are stuck. I've pulled over to eat a sandwich and had a nap and got back on the road and came up on the same clump of folks!

If your #1 choice is Valdez, do it first and don't rush it.

That road will be much less congested!

Homer is beautiful as is the drive along Turnagain Arm to get there but it is a long way and a lot of the way lacks scenery. If you could 'pop' into Homer, it would be a nice place to visit.

I always suggest making sure you have Windex and towels to clean your windows and headlights. I always carry Windex and towels in Alaska and have helped out many a visitor who couldn't see the view due to dusty, dirty windows.

I hear you absolutely about limited vacation time. Oh boy do I understand.

Since you are asking advice- then, skip the Parks to Denali Park. Your "scenery" priority- isn't there, and the grossly significant scenery route, is IN Denali Park. To at least Eielson, via shuttle bus, superb wildlife opportunities, and the best bargain around. :) Not the transit.

So, I continue to recommend the Glen/Richardson, Anchorage/Valdez. Not sure where you are looking at more than one ferry, but it is only one that I recommend- moot point with your decision already.

For others, information only, the regular Valdez/Whittier ferry- not the "fast ferry", offers spectacular scenery and a wonderful scenic loop. This puts you right ready for Kenai Peninsula touring, with ease of heading direct to Homer and/or Seward, making excellent use of time, with no backtracking.

If I had to pick one of the three and Denali was out, I would choose Valdez. Beautiful scenery and less crowded than the Parks highway. If you were to consider Denali, which is one of the highlights of Alaska, you could drive to Valdez via the Glenn and then up to Fairbanks and down the Parks to Anchorage via Denali. I have done that loop a number of times and it is a beautiful trip. However, the extra distance isn't worth it if you don't plan to stop at Denali.

Homer is a nice place, but past the Seward turnoff the scenery is not very spectacular. Plus the road can be the world's longest parking lot in the summer when the fish are running, and the Turnagain Arm portion gets closed for hours when there's an accident.

You won't see much wildlife along the highways - maybe a moose or two if you're lucky, but the scenery is great!

Archived