Can you upgrade at the port?

tammymacb

Does Carnival do this?

DCL offers ( if available ) paid upgrades at the port at check in if available. It's a great moneysaver, if you are happy to stay in the room you book if there are none available. Last May, I booked the absolute cheapest guarentee on the ship knowing I wouldn't be in it often. At the port, I paid $350 total to upgrade to a premium balcony. My total cost was $1100, if I'd bought the room from the get go, it was $3400.

Does Carnival do this? Seems like a win/win, because at check in time, they aren't going to get anyone else buying in and the rooms are going to sail empty.

I believe the website says this isn't something Carnival subscribes to..

Opportunities to purchase an upgrade in your accommodations are available prior to the sailing date, subject to availability. Regrettably, we cannot accommodate requests for upgrades on the day of sailing because we sail full.

Now, do they actually sail full? Maybe not..but I'm guessing they push upgrades fast and furious in the weeks before the cruise to get the pricier rooms full.

Does Carnival do this?

DCL offers ( if available ) paid upgrades at the port at check in if available. It's a great moneysaver, if you are happy to stay in the room you book if there are none available. Last May, I booked the absolute cheapest guarentee on the ship knowing I wouldn't be in it often. At the port, I paid $350 total to upgrade to a premium balcony. My total cost was $1100, if I'd bought the room from the get go, it was $3400.

Does Carnival do this? Seems like a win/win, because at check in time, they aren't going to get anyone else buying in and the rooms are going to sail empty.

Pretty Much, No. Carnival has a department that calls booked passengers prior to sailing to "Upsell" them to higher category cabins prior to sailing. There are supposedly very few (if any) unsold cabins at sailing. ken

I booked a OS through an agency. If i'm interested trying to upgrade do I now contact carnival or go thru my agency?

You don't have any choice but to go thru your Booking Agent for any changes to your booking. ken

I booked a OS through an agency. If i'm interested trying to upgrade do I now contact carnival or go thru my agency?

You can just do a fake booking and see what the choices are on Carnival.com and how much it would be to upgrade to a higher suite

I've never NOT seen the FULL sign sitting on the pursers counter.

But does that mean it is really full? I believe that there is a cutoff for homeland security as to what the last minute is for booking. I don't think you can walk up and book at the dock, although I could be wrong.

But does that mean it is really full? I believe that there is a cutoff for homeland security as to what the last minute is for booking. I don't think you can walk up and book at the dock, although I could be wrong.

I leave my Columbo trenchcoat home.

I was on Ecstasy once when several people didnt get what they thought they had asked their booking agents to book .... and they were very upset when the pursers desk couldnt move them to another cabin. One got a handicapped cabin with a rollaway, and wanted a regular inside with a bunk bed, so their scooter would fit into the cabin, no space with the rollaway and they couldnt move her out of the HC inside to a regular cabin anywhere on the ship, totally full they said. Several people were most unhappy that the ship sailed so totally full the pursers desk couldnt help anyone.

That is how Carnival does it- they call you, like someone mentioned. I'll never book through a travel agent again as I think Carnival only calls people for discount upgrades that booked through them.... if they wont talk to you when you call Carnival (have to go through the TA) makes sense that they wont call you for that upgrade...I've always booked through Carnival and got an upgrade call.... this time nodda

Archived