Weather in Late May

johnlcruise

Ok

I know that this is a hard question to ask.

After all, with the crazy weather we all have been getting lately no one can really answard this questions. But I thought I would ask anyway.

Heck, if we knew the answard we would be in Las Vegas making big money.

We will be on "Celebrity Mercury" May 20th. Out of Vancouver with stops in Juneau,Skagway and Ketchikan, returning to Seattle.

So what can we expect?

What about wildlife? Will we see just as much as if we went in June or July?

Thanks and have a super day

John

I have gone 3x at the end of May and it has been perfect. I have needed to wear a jacket in the morning but didn't need it in the afternoon.

Make sure you bring some warmer clothes for the day you are at the glacier.

So far, the posts have talked about how good the weather can be in May. But it can be miserable also. It CAN be rainy, and downright cold. We are going on the same itinerary as you, leaving May 15th, on the Norwegian Star. And personally, we're taking everything from wool to shorts!!! Wool hat, gloves, sweaters, rain jackets, and boots, short sleeve shirt and shorts. If it's cold, drizzly and windy in Glacier Bay, I'm not missing a minute of it because I'm cold. Having said this, I'm EXPECTING wonderful weather however.

Bill

We were in Juneau late May 2002, it got into the high 70's and clear skies. Also, I lived in Juneau 30 years ago and typically Late May and Early June were great for weather. Let's hope this year holds good weather for your trip.

Ok

I know that this is a hard question to ask.

After all, with the crazy weather we all have been getting lately no one can really answard this questions. But I thought I would ask anyway.

Heck, if we knew the answard we would be in Las Vegas making big money.

We will be on "Celebrity Mercury" May 20th. Out of Vancouver with stops in Juneau,Skagway and Ketchikan, returning to Seattle.

So what can we expect?

What about wildlife? Will we see just as much as if we went in June or July?

Thanks and have a super day

John

Hi John!

We were there in mid-to-late May and had fantastic weather (Skagway in shorts but don't count on it!). As some of the other posters have noted, weather in Alaska is always a gamble.

Clothing suggestions? In a word - layers! You will be in sweaters and jackets at a glacier face or probably on deck when the ship is cruising. Also I would make sure you pack some lightweight rain gear just in case.

Wildlife? You will probably be too early for bears. Other wildlife will probably be hit-and-miss in comparison to later in the season. July would be much better.

There is a lot of good info on these boards. Do your homework, get a knowledgeable TA, and have a great cruise!

We've gone twice, late May/early June. For the most part, the weather was perfect.

Cathy[/quote

Hi Cathy! I have read that you said twice the weather was great. We are booked on Serenade cruising from Vancouver to Alaksa. We are excited as this will be our first Alaskan Cruise. Could you please tell me what are some things that are MUSTS for this trip. Ports are Hubbard Glacier, Skagway,Juneau,Ketchikan and Misty Fjords. Any additional info you can give me would surely be appreciated. I would love to know what types of clothes to pack for this time of year. Thanks for any guidance...

Gail Johnson

I think weather in Alaska is always a gamble - my May cruises were a whole lot warmer and dryer than my first of July cruise. I couldn't stay warm or dry enough on my July cruise.

Definitely prepare for warm and cool climates and bring gloves and ear protection for the glaciers if you plan on being out there for a few hours. If you just step out for 15 minutes, you will be fine but I spend hours out there on glacier days.

Gail -

I think everyone's advice about layers is right on the money, especially when the ship is cruising the glaciers - that can be pretty chilly. I spent most of my time in jeans and a light sweatshirt. The only time I really needed a coat was when the ship was moving! We did have sprinkles in Ketchkan, but that was about it. A rain slick or poncho would come in handy.

I wouldn't miss the glacier landing in Juneau! It is an unforgetable experience to land on a glacier and walk around. This year (July this time, so we can see the bears), we're going to do the glacier hiking.

As far a Skagway and Ketchikan go, it really depends on what you like. Last time I snorkeled in Ketchikan and went for a bike ride in Skagway. But there is really a lot to choose from.

My best advice for the cruise is get outside when you're on the ship. The scenery is just amazing - everytime you step out the door. It's especially neat to be out there at night (chilly, though). The sunsets are something to see!

If you want to see photo albums of my two Alaska cruises, feel free to check them out at http://www.websitebycathy.com. The two Alaska albums are listed under "our cruises".

You're going to have a great time - you will definitely want to do it again.

Cathy

We've gone twice, late May/early June. For the most part, the weather was perfect.

Cathy[/quote

Hi Cathy! I have read that you said twice the weather was great. We are booked on Serenade cruising from Vancouver to Alaksa. We are excited as this will be our first Alaskan Cruise. Could you please tell me what are some things that are MUSTS for this trip. Ports are Hubbard Glacier, Skagway,Juneau,Ketchikan and Misty Fjords. Any additional info you can give me would surely be appreciated. I would love to know what types of clothes to pack for this time of year. Thanks for any guidance...

Gail Johnson

Gail: When are you booked on Serenade? We are booked on the 6/5.

Gail -

I think everyone's advice about layers is right on the money, especially when the ship is cruising the glaciers - that can be pretty chilly. I spent most of my time in jeans and a light sweatshirt. The only time I really needed a coat was when the ship was moving! We did have sprinkles in Ketchkan, but that was about it. A rain slick or poncho would come in handy.

I wouldn't miss the glacier landing in Juneau! It is an unforgetable experience to land on a glacier and walk around. This year (July this time, so we can see the bears), we're going to do the glacier hiking.

As far a Skagway and Ketchikan go, it really depends on what you like. Last time I snorkeled in Ketchikan and went for a bike ride in Skagway. But there is really a lot to choose from.

My best advice for the cruise is get outside when you're on the ship. The scenery is just amazing - everytime you step out the door. It's especially neat to be out there at night (chilly, though). The sunsets are something to see!

If you want to see photo albums of my two Alaska cruises, feel free to check them out at www.websitebycathy.com. The two Alaska albums are listed under "our cruises".

You're going to have a great time - you will definitely want to do it again.

Cathy

Cathy, Oh my....My husband and I enjoyed each and everyone of your pictures. The more we see, the more excited I get. He has to remind me that we are NOT leaving until late May. Your email has helped a bunch.

I sent your website to my sister and her husband who will be cruising with us.

I am thrilled that I found this site with the boards cause it's opened an adventure for us.

Gail

Archived