Best Shopping

raz5

Both islands have great shops. St Thomas has AH Riise that carries everything including jewelry, clothes, and alcohol. There are tons of jewelry stores. Our favorite is Beverly's and Amit or Annette. St Martin has great shops and wonderful beaches. Research what you want before you leave so you can compare prices. We will be traveling in february to both islands and I have a friend that is looking for pearls. She is researching all the stores in the states so she is informed about pricing. Very easy to haggle prices. Remember no tax in the islands.

Have fun and don't forget to visit the beautiful beaches on both islands!!

:rolleyes:

we just spent a week in St. Thomas and spent a lot of our time shopping. The issue with shopping here is simple... Nothing is for free. Make sure your friend does her homework regarding what she wants to purchase. Shop in the states ahead of time and now the expected costs here first then compare those same prices in a duty free shop without taxes. Sometimes the difference is not as much as you would think. Also remember there is no after the sale service if there is a problem (watches etc) unless you mail it in to the company. Also remember there are some shops with fakes and if you are not a jeweler it can be difficult. I was in the market for a Rolex and almost bought one but found for only a slight bit more, I could purchase it in the states and have the after sale perks taxes included. I would STRONGLY recommend anyone in the market for sandals go to Zora's sandal shop. She hand makes them custom fit to your feet and will ship them to you after they are made. The best sandals ever and it is 15 degrees outside and snowing and I am still wearing them. She usually needs two fittings over a 2-3 day peroid so it may be tough on a cruise ship but worth the stop anyway.

In St. Thomas, one jewely store after another.

What about in St. Martin?---crystal, pieces for the home,vases, arts/crafts? ===> Marigot!

Pretty much the same thing along Front Street in Philipsburg

but there are a few Other Shops in between.

Then there's Back Street, but that's more shoes and mundane stuff(for the locals)

but maybe worth checking out.

There's also shops along the bayfront Boardwalk,

SXM-347.jpg

but for some strange reason we never did that stretch:

I suspect that's more bars and the like?

Hey..

get over to MARIGOT on the French side, for a whole different shopping feel.

It's quite different over there!

with a flea market type thing going on in the town square

MARIGOT-896.jpg

- in addition to lots of little boutiques up and down the quaint side streets.

My wife got a gorgeous table-cloth at the flea market.

Just get over to Marigot and wander around

but remember that most stores close at 1 p.m. for a 2 hr. long siesta,

re-opening at 3 p.m.

Archived