Questions about Canaleto

Rudolph38

I would highly recommend the Penne Alla Vodka.... once you try that you may not try anything else!!!

Agreed... This was the highlight of the Canaletto...

If any readers are going to try this fun, change to the ordinary venues, and not interested in ordering this for yourself, order it for your table to share -Delicious!!!

:D:D:D

We dined at Canaletto on Amsterdam last month - we went with a group of new friends we met on board. It was fun and sociable but I didn't think the food was noteworthy. I had the veal which was nice, DH had the lasagna which he didn't think was too good.

The anitpasto is served personally tableside and was a nice selection but it took a while for everybody to get served... I"d like one of these and one of those and OH what's that one? ...

For dessert I ordered the Tiramisu Trio - it came in three shot glasses and was three different types of creams with barely distinguishable flavors. I was rather disappointed.

The tables setting were nice and I don't recall any interference of noise from the Lido.

I prefer the ambiance and food in the MDR, especially if I have such an outstanding server as on that cruise. For a change of pace and having dinner with new friends it was a nice opportunity, nicer than "dining" in the Lido. On a 21-day cruise it was Ok to forego one dinner in the MDR but I wouldn't bother with it on a short cruise.

My advice is check your MDR menu early in the day and then decide if you want to try it.

We'll be on Eurodam two cruises and we need to remember to book at least a dinner or two in Canaletto.

Pinnacle, Tamarind, Canaletto and dinner ashore both our visits to San Juan..... added to the wonderful Dining Room on Eurodam and we better increase the number of laps we walk the deck each day. :eek: It's great to have all these choices. We don't go to dinner in Lido but it's good that is another choice.

Here's a tip: Book the Caneletto for lunch on sea days as soon as you board. There's no sur charge for lunch and you don't have to work around your shore excursions. Tips are included in your booking fee but most people tip their cabin stewards a little extra before disboarding as well as their dining room stewards if they have assigned seating (much preferred for the best service).

Here's a tip: Book the Caneletto for lunch on sea days as soon as you board. There's no sur charge for lunch and you don't have to work around your shore excursions.

Canaletto isn't open for lunch, and there is no charge for dinner. Perhaps you're talking about Tammarind? That restaurant has no charge for lunch (set menu), but does have a charge ($15) for dinner.

When we were on the Eurodam in 2008 we walked near the Canaletto -- it was very noisy!!

So far nothing about it has attracked us to try it.

We just think it's a nice change of scenery and food variety from the MDR.

Where does one make reservations onboard?
On the Noordam there was a steward stationed right by the mid-ship elevators with a laptop computer, starting at about 8:00a. I believe he can make reservations for all the dining venues. Also, I think I saw a telephone number you could call.

Canaletto isn't open for lunch, and there is no charge for dinner. Perhaps you're talking about Tammarind? That restaurant has no charge for lunch (set menu), but does have a charge ($15) for dinner.

You're absolutely right! I have a good friend that defines forgetfulness as "sludge" which he states is "cholesterol of the brain". When I responded the sludge made me do it. LOL!

We were on the Oosterdam a couple of weeks ago. We decided to go the first night and got reservations for 6:30. It was more than half empty. Food was OK. My 11 son wanted to go back, but we never did make it.

Food was good, not memorable. Service was very good. My son asked for ceasar salad and was told they don't have it -or it would be a long wait. So don't try to order anything other than the menu items.

We didn't find it noisy once we were seated. The restaurant is tucked into a nice corner. It is not really like the lido -has nicer place settings, flowers, candles. Quite nice atmosphere actually. I don't think it was that busy though and I think you could have probably got a table most nights without a reservation.

It is not open during the day for lunch....they just use the tables as part of the lido. A nice place to sit for breakfast or lunch as it is more secluded than the other lido table areas.

We ate at the lido for dinner one night and it was VERY lacking. We went at 7:15 and it seemed like all the stations were closed and only a very limited choice for dinner on the port side. Caneletto beat the lido for dinner hands down!!!

Mary

Where does one make reservations onboard?

The Eurodam had two dinner reservation numbers - one for the MDR and one for the specialty restaurants. Also, we could do reservations on embarkation day with someone posted near the lido entrance. I don't know if that is just the Eurodam or will be done on all ships.

We were on the Oosterdam a couple of weeks ago. We decided to go the first night and got reservations for 6:30. It was more than half empty. Food was OK. My 11 son wanted to go back, but we never did make it.

Food was good, not memorable. Service was very good. My son asked for ceasar salad and was told they don't have it -or it would be a long wait. So don't try to order anything other than the menu items.

We didn't find it noisy once we were seated. The restaurant is tucked into a nice corner. It is not really like the lido -has nicer place settings, flowers, candles. Quite nice atmosphere actually. I don't think it was that busy though and I think you could have probably got a table most nights without a reservation.

It is not open during the day for lunch....they just use the tables as part of the lido. A nice place to sit for breakfast or lunch as it is more secluded than the other lido table areas.

We ate at the lido for dinner one night and it was VERY lacking. We went at 7:15 and it seemed like all the stations were closed and only a very limited choice for dinner on the port side. Caneletto beat the lido for dinner hands down!!!

Mary

Thanks marysb!

Archived