Is it true that the bubbly welcome is not offered now on cruises?

cacj

The bubbly was a nice touch to the ship welcome onboard. Getting to the ship is the most stressful part of the cruise. Even though it was probably cheap wine, it signaled the beginning of your NCL cruise and completion of boarding.

Would be nice if NCL could offer something in exchange.

A wine bottle carry on without corkage? I suppose that would cost them more in lost sales.

Discount on your first drink purchase?

I don't drink champagne - or any wine, actually. I've graciously accepted the orange juice on our last two cruises, but won't miss it if it's not there on future sailings. My husband and daughter declined on both occasions. I saw many others do the same. As has been noted, carrying a champagne flute while trying to maneuver through the embarking masses with (usually) at least one piece of carry-on luggage can be quite difficult. Perhaps NCL just found that the majority of people chose not to partake and so felt that it was a good area to save a few pennies - and every penny counts these days.

It's always disappointing when something we like is discontinued or has a charge implemented, but it's important to keep in mind that our likes, dislikes, and opinions are not necessarily the 'popular' ones. Someone suggested that NCL could raise the fares by $5 'that we wouldn't notice' so that they could continue offering the champagne that 'we would remember', but personally I'd rather not have someone else's glass of champagne added to my fare. If I want to buy someone a drink, I'd prefer to make that decision for myself. :)

The bubbly was a nice touch to the ship welcome onboard. Getting to the ship is the most stressful part of the cruise. Even though it was probably cheap wine, it signaled the beginning of your NCL cruise and completion of boarding.

Would be nice if NCL could offer something in exchange.

A wine bottle carry on without corkage? I suppose that would cost them more in lost sales.

Discount on your first drink purchase?

now I like your idea. Even if they would wave the corkage fee for the first bottle of wine per person. yes, it might be costly but that I bet would impress passengers a heck of a lot more than a flute of cheap bubbly.

Nita

The figure of 7 cents per glass was pulled out of thin air. In times like we are currently in, big companies are looking for ways to cut PEOPLE. In cutting out the champagne, and cutting a few other small things, they are most likely trying to create less work, so they can cut workers. I don't know about NCL, but many companies have already cut labor, and just doubled the work load on the remaining employees. So they provide less service just to keep up, or to even lay off more folks.

This assumption might work if the company is cutting things that had dedicated employees working at and/or maintaining.

None of the stuff they are cutting required dedicated personnel to do/perform. They can't layoff people by cutting the welcome champagne, turn down mints, or charging for cappuccino/espresso. NCL might be looking to layoff some of their crew, but that will not related to these recent cuts.

If you don't see the difference, read both of these statements:

#1- "I don't know why you are upset over a glass of champagne"

#2 - "I don't know why you are upset over a silly glass of champagne"

How does the insertion of the label "silly" affect the statement?

#1 is obviously the fist glass of champagne, #2, the silly glass of champagne, would be a later glass. For my wife it would be the second glass, for me it would be several glasses later.

Copied and pasted from

http://www.cruisebusiness.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=786:ncl-corporation-3q09-profit-falls-on-lower-yields-and-capacity-&catid=48:top-headlines-category&Itemid=116

Written by Kari Reinikainen

Monday, 16 November 2009 16:08

NCL Corporation (NCLC), parent company of Norwegian Cruise Line and NCL America cruise brands, recorded a fall in 3Q09 net profit to $85.6 million from $171.2 million in the same period last year on lower capacity and a fall in yields. However, for the first nine months of the year, NCLC made a profit of $106.2 million compared to a loss of $0.8 million in January-September 2008, when net interest expenses were $40 million higher than this year.

Net revenue decreased 15.3% in 2009 compared to 2008 due to a 10.1% decrease in net yield and a 5.7% decrease in capacity days. “The decrease in net yield was primarily the result of a decrease in passenger ticket pricing due to adverse global economic conditions. This decrease was partially offset by a slight increase in net yield pertaining to onboard and other revenue primarily due to increased net revenue from our shore excursions and bar operations,” said Genting Hong Kong, the company previously known as Star Cruises, which owns 50% of NCLC.

Net cruise cost decreased 24.7% in 2009 compared to 2008 primarily due to a 20.1% decrease in net cruise cost per capacity day. and related expense per Capacity Day resulting from lower salary and travel expense. Interest expense, net of capitalized interest, decreased to $25.8 million in 2009 from $35.1 million in 2008 primarily due to lower average interest rates.

Getting rid of pillow mints and welcome aboard sparkling wine makes sense when shareholder’s dividend check amounts are not what they demand it to be. Has there been a noticeable difference in the quality of service onboard NCL ships? Subjective question for sure…quality service is what woos me.

This assumption might work if the company is cutting things that had dedicated employees working at and/or maintaining.

None of the stuff they are cutting required dedicated personnel to do/perform. They can't layoff people by cutting the welcome champagne, turn down mints, or charging for cappuccino/espresso. NCL might be looking to layoff some of their crew, but that will not related to these recent cuts.

Well, I certainly have no inside knowledge of how NCL does things. But I do know that many of their service personnel wear different hats during a cruise. As you indicated above. if I can reduce some of the work these folks do while wearing multiple hats, then I can let someone go.

But who knows? Maybe the bean counters really did figure the cost for the champagne itself over the course of the year was significant.

Well, I certainly have no inside knowledge of how NCL does things. But I do know that many of their service personnel wear different hats during a cruise. As you indicated above. if I can reduce some of the work these folks do while wearing multiple hats, then I can let someone go.

But who knows? Maybe the bean counters really did figure the cost for the champagne itself over the course of the year was significant.

Doubt it's significant in the grand scheme of things (absolutely a wild guess here, maybe $1 million per year?), but it's something and to someone at NCL it's more significant than the positives it brought to passengers.

Whether that's right or not, I dunno. I do know that it doesn't affect me one bit since I don't drink. ;)

I think they also believe that it will increase revenue since people will buy drinks when they come on board so its not only the cost of the champagne its the increase in revenue they anticipate from stopping it. It was nice when it lasted but it didn't last that long. The Champagne was new and now its gone. I used to get a free bottle of bubbly as a gold and I think they stopped that too....

I think they also believe that it will increase revenue since people will buy drinks when they come on board so its not only the cost of the champagne its the increase in revenue they anticipate from stopping it. It was nice when it lasted but it didn't last that long. The Champagne was new and now its gone. I used to get a free bottle of bubbly as a gold and I think they stopped that too....

yea, I think they have. So I will be disappointed when we cruise not to have that bottle in our cabin. I will get over it I think.

Nita

ps it is so cold here right now, I would cruise anyplace, on any ship even if I got no liquor, had to eat in the buffet every meal and share a cabin with someone who snores just to warm up...

Nita

yea, I think they have. So I will be disappointed when we cruise not to have that bottle in our cabin. I will get over it I think.

Nita

ps it is so cold here right now, I would cruise anyplace, on any ship even if I got no liquor, had to eat in the buffet every meal and share a cabin with someone who snores just to warm up...

Nita

me too do you think our spouses would complain?

:)

As I mentioned on another thread regarding cost cutting measures on NCL, to me the first experience on the ship (champagne greeting) always added a touch of class to the cruise for me.

Across these boards, NCL is known as the "nickle-and-dime me to death cruise line". Clearly not a correct definition of NCL...IMHO. I like cruising on the line. :)

But as a marketing person myself, you would think that NCL would try to do anything they can to fix that impression. Perception is reality. I know I'm in the minority, but I say charge more if you have to and don't let the product suffer.

I certainly don't want to see NCL become the bargain basement cruise line in people's eyes. I know free bubbly upon embarkation won't fix everything, but it's good gesture and companies need to put a good face on any product in this economy if they want to survive.

I agree 100% that it's disappointing ALL the little touches seem to be going away. Do I understand why they are doing it? Yes. Can I blame them? I don't know. I think NCL will start having more and more trouble with preimum paying guests (those that pay close to brochure rate for whatever reason, those in mini suites-I don't mention villas and suites because they DO get extra little things already) with some of these cut backs. I personally can live without them because I value the low price we pay for insides and oceanviews. However, as this trend continues, though, I do see us considering other lines. We've been NCL loyalists because it's been a comfortable fit for us...not so high-end that it's overpriced or boring, yet you feel like you are taking a very special vacation for a reasonable price. It's still an awesome value for those insides and oceanviews, but as the little things all go away, it becomes a little less special and desirable for me.

I agree with Jerseyboy above, that NCL is heading towards becoming known as a low class cruise line.

I agree with Jerseyboy above, that NCL is heading towards becoming known as a low class cruise line.

I think this is the perception to many who doesn't know better to begin with. Ironic thing is that Freestyle 2.0 was partly trying to change that, I'm sure it did to some, but to many others it did nothing at all in changing their perceptions.

not in the suites they are still doing that. they used to give golds and plat a free bottle...

At this point, I'm waiting to see if others might report they did (or didn't) get a Latitudes basket w/wine. I have seen one other recent review where someone mentioned they got a btl of wine for being a gold latitudes member. But I'm still not convinced (it's not listed as a perk on the Latitudes site)

For a while on my recent cruise I had (what I call) a parade of wine. Besides two bottles I had in the cabin, there was a knock on the door to deliver a bottle from my previous PCC, and then one from the HD saying that he had been told by Coka I would be there. It was vino heaven! And since I thought the courtyard was already heaven-it was a heck of a way to start a cruise! :D

On our recent cruise-(we're gold btw) we did get the bottle for the suite, and then a few minutes later we got the fruit basket AND there was a bottle of wine with it (also a note saying it was from Latitudes). Being fully aware that was a perk that was discontinued about a year or so ago, I was a bit confused and have been wondering if they just might be bringing it back. A friend (also in the CY) who is either bronze or silver DID NOT get one.

So at this point, I'm waiting to see if others might report they did (or didn't) get a Latitudes basket w/wine. I have seen one other recent review where someone mentioned they got a btl of wine for being a gold latitudes member. But I'm still not convinced I wasn't just really fortunate (it's not listed as a perk on the Latitudes site)

The more I hear the more I am convinced they are confused(challenged?). Sometimes the HD just does it anyway. They know people appreciate it and that it is a good and cheap gesture. I also have gotten some other benefits not listed and I hate to post them because they might take them away. The HD's know that these things are good customer service.

I have no problem with them taking away the champagne at the dock. It was a nice gesture and If I were them I would keep it up but I think the cost outweighed the usefulness-and it takes away from sales....not so the cappucino/expresso or fruit basket...

I'll wait until the HD sends me Nita(I am kidding)

I also have gotten some other benefits not listed and I hate to post them because they might take them away. The HD's know that these things are good customer service.

I think I'll go edit ;) Like you, I sometimes refrain from mentioning things on the boards for the same reason you do (so I probably shouldn't have mentioned it now)

There-my edit is done. It's up to you if you want to edit it out of my quote LOL

About Nita though-I was gonna say you 2 should get a room, but then I realized that's exactly what the conversation was about (kidding of course)-have a good one

As I have been keeping up with this post since it's origination, and trying NOT to come up with an opinion or conclusion I will say this: I am booked for category AD - Penthouse (paid full price thanks to some generous and lucky past upsells) on the Spirit this Sunday (10th) so I'll let you all know as soon as I get back on what exactly still exists and has disappeared. FYI - I'm silver and partner is gold latitude.

As I mentioned on another thread regarding cost cutting measures on NCL, to me the first experience on the ship (champagne greeting) always added a touch of class to the cruise for me.

Across these boards, NCL is known as the "nickle-and-dime me to death cruise line". Clearly not a correct definition of NCL...IMHO. I like cruising on the line. :)

But as a marketing person myself, you would think that NCL would try to do anything they can to fix that impression. Perception is reality. I know I'm in the minority, but I say charge more if you have to and don't let the product suffer.

I certainly don't want to see NCL become the bargain basement cruise line in people's eyes. I know free bubbly upon embarkation won't fix everything, but it's good gesture and companies need to put a good face on any product in this economy if they want to survive.

people are very loyal to their favorite cruise line and most even more so than we are. I would bet 75% have never even cruised NCL> I will be honest, I do not think of a super upscale or classy cruise line when I think of NCL. If I have clients that are cruise snobs I do not recommend NCL. That being said, I do think of NCL as a great vacation line, lots of fun, relaxed, enough of the nicities to fell pampered if I really want to, by far the best choice in dining and more than that, a line with energy but not the total party life that say, Carnival offers. NCL is very much like RCI in my view, just a little more fun and of course they have awesome ships.

Nita

I agree 100% that it's disappointing ALL the little touches seem to be going away. Do I understand why they are doing it? Yes. Can I blame them? I don't know. I think NCL will start having more and more trouble with preimum paying guests (those that pay close to brochure rate for whatever reason, those in mini suites-I don't mention villas and suites because they DO get extra little things already) with some of these cut backs. I personally can live without them because I value the low price we pay for insides and oceanviews. However, as this trend continues, though, I do see us considering other lines. We've been NCL loyalists because it's been a comfortable fit for us...not so high-end that it's overpriced or boring, yet you feel like you are taking a very special vacation for a reasonable price. It's still an awesome value for those insides and oceanviews, but as the little things all go away, it becomes a little less special and desirable for me.

I like your dsicription: not boring and a comfortable fit. I think this can continue.

Nita

Archived