Uk passport. Do we need any visas for visiting caribbean?

jtsbusiness

Doing a tour of the Caribbean and wonder whether we need any Visas and/or USA electronic visa:confused:

You will need an ESTA electronic visa if you are planning on visiting any of the US Virgin Islands or San Juan - I think they are the only US ports in the Caribbean. You will also have to fill in a visa waiver form.

What is a visa waiver form?

We are going to Montego Bay, Samana, Tortola,St Maarten, Antiqua, Dominica, Barbados. St Vincent, Grenada, Curacao, Bonaire and Grand Cayman.

I don't think any of these belong to US Virgin Isles.

Thanks for your reply, and hopefully you can help further

The visa waiver form is the green form you fill in before going through US immigration. As you will be flying presumably into Jamaica, you will not be using this form.

The new rules mean that if you go through any US port, you will need to show that you have applied for and been granted an electronic visa (ESTA) which lasts for three years and at the moment you will also need to fill in the green visa waiver form although I think they plan to do away with this form in due course.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi

I'm still trying to work it out also!

As I don't think I will be visiting any of the American islands - Montego Bay, Samana Tortola, St Maarten, Antigua, Dominica, Barbados, St Vincent, Grenada, Bonaire, Curacao, and Grand Cayman, I am presuming that we don't need one. If anybody has been on this tour, then please could you clarify it for us Brits.

Thanks

Have you gone to the government websites for the countries you will be visiting/transiting? That is the ONLY definitive source of information.

What you hear/read/infer from an internet discussion board won't help much when an official of a government says the rules are something else. And you don't have any documentation to show, other than "well, this fellow said that..."

Caveat emptor, especially on the digital frontier.

jtsbusiness, as the previous poster suggested the only definitive answer will come from Government web sites for the countries visited. However, for what it's worth, we've just come back from a caribbean cruise sailing out of Fort Lauderdale stopping at Aruba, Curacao, Trinidad, Barbados, St Vincent, St Kitts, St Thomas, Puerto Rica and Grand Turk. Only needed visa at USA, never showed passport anywhere, Puerto Rica and one other required photo ID but accepted UK Drivers Licence. It's well worth having that bit of plastic handy as you get asked for picture ID sometimes if shopping for more expensive items. Better to lose the license than the passport!

What is a visa waiver form?

We are going to Montego Bay, Samana, Tortola,St Maarten, Antiqua, Dominica, Barbados. St Vincent, Grenada, Curacao, Bonaire and Grand Cayman.

I don't think any of these belong to US Virgin Isles.

Thanks for your reply, and hopefully you can help further

None of the ports are US, thus no need for the ESTA.

FlyerTalker's caveat is understood, but you really do not need to contact each island authority - Princess, like all cruise lines, will advise if anything has changed since my visits - and they'll do so well in advance in the unlikely event that you need to organise anything before you board.

I have cruised all your ports in the past couple of years & did not need any documentation on any island, not even my UK passport, just my ship's boarding card. Curacao needed photo ID (no photo on my ship card), but photocopy passport - which I always carry - was fine. Driving licence is better to lose than passport, but unless you propose to hire a vehicle, best not to risk losing either.

You'll find plenty of differing opinions on this site about the advisability of carrying your passport, but mine stays in the cabin safe.

John Bull

Archived