FWIW: My passport Renewal Experience

klfrodo

Mailed in my (soon to expire) passport book with renewal application and $75 check on Dec 21, 2009 via old fashion snail mail. No certified, no express, nothing special.

Received my new passport (and old one) on Jan 4, 2009.

Exactly 2 weeks (and that included all the holidays)

Thing to keep in mind:

Don't send in too early. It's insignificant, but my old one expired in Feb 2009. The new expires exactly 10 years from when they issued the new one. Lost 2 months :eek:

Wasn't there just a class action lawsuit over an anti virus company for charging you for a years subscription for their software and then 10 mos later billing you again for another 12 mos subscription (think Norton)? In effect stealing 2 mos worth of your money.

Mailed in my (soon to expire) passport book with renewal application and $75 check on Dec 21, 2009 via old fashion snail mail. No certified, no express, nothing special.

Received my new passport (and old one) on Jan 4, 2009.

Exactly 2 weeks (and that included all the holidays)

Thing to keep in mind:

Don't send in too early. It's insignificant, but my old one expired in Feb 2009. The new expires exactly 10 years from when they issued the new one. Lost 2 months :eek:

Wasn't there just a class action lawsuit over an anti virus company for charging you for a years subscription for their software and then 10 mos later billing you again for another 12 mos subscription (think Norton)? In effect stealing 2 mos worth of your money.

Not to sound like an ass but are your dates correct? Did you mean your passport expires February 2010? You stated you mailed it Dec 2009 and received it Jan 2009?

I understand the gist of your post though.

My understanding is some countries will accept your passport if you have less than 6 months on it. I'm thinking of cruising March 2011 but my passport expires May 2011. So I'm unsure what to do.

Not to sound like an ass but are your dates correct? Did you mean your passport expires February 2010? You stated you mailed it Dec 2009 and received it Jan 2009?

:eek: opps, my bad. Yes. Received new one on Jan 4, 2010

We were told by Carnival to have passports that didn't expire within six months, which our's did, so I had the extra vacation expense of renewing four passports which didn't expire till four months after we got back! I'm confused - what's the point in having it if you can't use it for the last six months? ID purposes only I guess but travel is my reason for having it. Just a gripe on my part LOL:D

$75.00 for a 10 year passport equals 62.5 cents per month. I understand that it's the principle of the thing, but I personally would rather receive mine in a very timely manner and have the passport in hand. The $1.25 can be applied to our country's deficit.

We were told by Carnival to have passports that didn't expire within six months, which our's did, so I had the extra vacation expense of renewing four passports which didn't expire till four months after we got back! I'm confused - what's the point in having it if you can't use it for the last six months? ID purposes only I guess but travel is my reason for having it. Just a gripe on my part LOL:D

The purpose is to make sure you can return to your home country after visiting a foreign country. Most visitor visas are good for 6 months, so they want to make sure your passport is still good after you have visited 6 months and are now ready to go home. They do not want your home country to deny you entry.

I agree it is a pain when you are only travelling for a week or so.

Feel sorry for us poor Canucks who have to renew passports every 5 years. Actually every 4 1/2 years.

To the best of my knowledge many countries will not accept a passport for travel if it has less than 6 months validity on it. I know Princess requires you have at least 6months validity on your passport as well.
Princess does not require 6 months validity if you are going a closed-loop cruise, but you do have to call them to manually enter the expiration date in the Personalizer. I suppose it is just easier for them to program the 6 month limit into the computer and deal with exceptions on a case by case basis.

Mine was due to expire in January 2010, but I renewed it in July 2009. I had cruises in October, December, and this April, and I didn't want to risk waiting until January to send it in for April. And I couldn't send it in after October since my cruises were only 8 weeks apart. So before October it went.

I hated to do it so early, but it made me more comfortable to get it out of the way. Got DH's done last fall, so no passport renewals until DS's in 3 years. :rolleyes:

My passport expires in March, and I just sent in the renewal last week. I'd rather lose 3 months of use than have to stress about getting it done later. I always like to imagine that I'm going to be surprised with (or maybe win?) a last-minute trip abroad...and I want to be ready. Although I'm sure by taking such precautions, my chances of that actually happening are reduced significantly (scene from Bridget Jones is in my mind here). Ha.

$75.00 for a 10 year passport equals 62.5 cents per month. I understand that it's the principle of the thing, but I personally would rather receive mine in a very timely manner and have the passport in hand. The $1.25 can be applied to our country's deficit.

Unfortunately it'll take ALOT of passport money to get the country out of debt...but I guess that's for a whole different board/thread.....

Ok this thread got me thinking ahead. Now I have a question for anyone willing to take a stab at it. My son was born in Oct. of 2005. His current passport expires in feb of 2013. Renewing it will give him until Feb of 2018 (he'll be 13). Renewing it again will give him until Feb of 2023. He'll be turning 18 8 months later. So will he have to get an adult one when he turns 18? Would he be able to wait until he's 18 to renew it even though it'll be expired for 8 months?

I know 2023 is a long way off but Now my curiosity is peeked and I'm wondering. lol call me crazy if you want to....

Ok this thread got me thinking ahead. Now I have a question for anyone willing to take a stab at it. My son was born in Oct. of 2005. His current passport expires in feb of 2013. Renewing it will give him until Feb of 2018 (he'll be 13). Renewing it again will give him until Feb of 2023. He'll be turning 18 8 months later. So will he have to get an adult one when he turns 18? Would he be able to wait until he's 18 to renew it even though it'll be expired for 8 months?

I know 2023 is a long way off but Now my curiosity is peeked and I'm wondering. lol call me crazy if you want to....

IIRC, believe the date for an adult passport is their 16th birthday. /check the passport website to be sure.

I copied this from the website:

Your Most Recent U.S. Passport:

check.gif

Is
undamaged
and can be
submitted
with your application

check.gif

Was issued when you were
age 16 or older

check.gif

Was issued within the last
15 years

check.gif

Was issued in your
current name
or you can legally document your name change

http://travel.state.gov/passport/get/renew/renew_833.html

Passports will NEVER be cheaper than they are now. My first one was less than $40.00. [And NO, its wasn't on a clay tablet!]:D

Too funny!

So, you weren't close personal friends with any of the Disciples? :D

In May '09, we took my father in law on a cruise to Mexico, his passport expired in Sept. '09 and we didn't have a problem, RC took it and didn't say anything about the six month rule, probably because it was a closed loop cruise. We didn't want to renew it since he was 83 and we figured it would be his last cruise. Bless his soul, he needs it for our Alaska trip in Sept. We will renew it with pleasure.

Archived