EWR or JFK (with a twist...)

Twickenham

Bored at work, so I'm pondering my next cruise vacation, probably next fall. One of the possibilities is a QM2 crossing (it's competing with a NCL Mediterranean cruise - which is a whole other debate...). I'm getting reasonable 1-way fares between LHR and NY, on either Aer Lingus or Icelandair, so leaves me with searching for round-trip YQB-NYC. Looking at possible air routings, I have 2 possibilities: a direct YQB-EWR flight on Continental, or a slightly cheaper YQB-DTW-JFK flight on Northwest/Delta. Normally, this would be a no-brainer, as flying to Detroit to go to NY seems ridiculous when there's a perfectly good direct flight - not that I'm naturally adverse to connecting flights, as usually travelling from YQB guarantees 1 or more connections. But, 2 points are making me consider the connecting flight:

-I have some orphaned Skymiles points, and would like to get enough additional points to be able to actually use them;

-QM2 cruises out of Brooklyn, so would have to transfer to there from any airport I choose.

This last point is the one which is especially making me think, and which is bringing up my ultimate question: is it easier to connect through DTW, or transfer to Brooklyn from EWR? What would you do, and why?

JFK should have a slightly less expensive transfer cost(but no great difference), although I think that Cunard has a transfer from EWR that is reasonable. I use them both and I live near the cruise terminal(about 2 kilometers). JFK car transfer should be around $40-50. EWR about $60-70(tips and tolls included.). The least expensive way from EWR is the express bus to Manhattan Port Authority Bus terminal($15 pp) and then a cab for about $25.00

Paul how much did it cost you?

JFK should have a slightly less expensive transfer cost(but no great difference), although I think that Cunard has a transfer from EWR that is reasonable. I use them both and I live near the cruise terminal(about 2 kilometers). JFK car transfer should be around $40-50. EWR about $60-70(tips and tolls included.). The least expensive way from EWR is the express bus to Manhattan Port Authority Bus terminal($15 pp) and then a cab for about $25.00

Paul how much did it cost you?

Not sure what we paid. We used the Princess transfer. The cost was the same to all three airports. I am thinking it was $38/pp

Not sure what we paid. We used the Princess transfer. The cost was the same to all three airports. I am thinking it was $38/pp

That's not bad for a cruise line transfer, although as we will be at least 3 (and possibly 5, if my friends come), this no longer becomes cost-effective.

In terms of transfers, it's really a case of balancing the cost-convenience ratio - leaning on the side of lower cost. I like the idea of a train transfer (saw this from EWR, not sure about JFK), although there again at some point the convenience thing comes into play.

JFK car transfer should be around $40-50. EWR about $60-70(tips and tolls included.). The least expensive way from EWR is the express bus to Manhattan Port Authority Bus terminal($15 pp) and then a cab for about $25.00

That's better than what I've been seeing for a EWR transfer. I know it makes more sense to take the Continental flight, but a voice in my head keeps saying 'The points... consolidate your points...':D

That's not bad for a cruise line transfer, although as we will be at least 3 (and possibly 5, if my friends come), this no longer becomes cost-effective.

In terms of transfers, it's really a case of balancing the cost-convenience ratio - leaning on the side of lower cost. I like the idea of a train transfer (saw this from EWR, not sure about JFK), although there again at some point the convenience thing comes into play.

That's better than what I've been seeing for a EWR transfer. I know it makes more sense to take the Continental flight, but a voice in my head keeps saying 'The points... consolidate your points...':D

The train transfers from either airport in a word....suck. From EWR you take the airtrain(airport train name may vary)...to the metro whatever train station and they you have to transfer to another train(either NJ transit or Amtrak-NJ transit is cheaper) but you have to do it yourself no help is provided then you get a cab from Penn Station NY to the cruise terminal. So you have to make at least one no help transfer up and down stairs etc. that is why I suggest the bus. Its right outside the door of each terminal at EWR and takes you non stop to the Bus terminal in Manhattan where you can get help to the cab...just be sure you have the directions to the Red Hook Brooklyn Cruise terminal. the cabs are required to take you but may honestly not know where it is.

The directions are simple - take the Brooklyn Battery tunnel to Brooklyn(if the cab driver soesn't know how to get to Brooklyn he is lying- then take the first exit after the tolls- Hamilton Avenue Make two quick lefts and foloow the sighns.

From JFK you take the skytrain? to Jamaica Station and change to either the NY subway or the Long Island Railroad depending on where you are going. The LIRR is simpler and faster to penn station again to where you can take a cab. You can do this cheaper by NY subway closer to the Brooklyn Cruise terminal but it really is not set up for any amount of luggage.

for car services I use Arecibo but they are fine when you call and want them to meet you then to take you some place but a terrible with reservations(they are cheap and mostly reliable I use them 3-5 times a week). for reservations try http://www.carmellimo.com as an example. these are the ones that I use from the airport.

sorry I had computer problems please excuse the misspellings above.

The train transfers from either airport in a word....suck. From EWR you take the airtrain(airport train name may vary)...to the metro whatever train station and they you have to transfer to another train(either NJ transit or Amtrak-NJ transit is cheaper) but you have to do it yourself no help is provided then you get a cab from Penn Station NY to the cruise terminal. So you have to make at least one no help transfer up and down stairs etc. that is why I suggest the bus. Its right outside the door of each terminal at EWR and takes you non stop to the Bus terminal in Manhattan where you can get help to the cab...just be sure you have the directions to the Red Hook Brooklyn Cruise terminal. the cabs are required to take you but may honestly not know where it is.

The directions are simple - take the Brooklyn Battery tunnel to Brooklyn(if the cab driver soesn't know how to get to Brooklyn he is lying- then take the first exit after the tolls- Hamilton Avenue Make two quick lefts and foloow the sighns.

The train transfer doesn't sound too bad to me, actually - but I'm one of those oddballs that hates having strangers help me with my luggage, and only bring what I can carry myself. The only issue would be the amount of stairs to navitate. Bus does sound good, however - how much does it cost? Will be staying at least 1 night in NYC, not sure where but I have some MR and PC points I can use so will chose probably based on convenience. And thanks for the Brooklyn directions - will save!

for car services I use Arecibo but they are fine when you call and want them to meet you then to take you some place but a terrible with reservations(they are cheap and mostly reliable I use them 3-5 times a week). for reservations try www.carmellimo.com as an example. these are the ones that I use from the airport.

Good to know, thanks.

Have you ever considered swapping them on points.com? Scott.

Can only do a transfer into Skymiles on points.com, not from the program.

The train transfer doesn't sound too bad to me, actually - but I'm one of those oddballs that hates having strangers help me with my luggage, and only bring what I can carry myself. The only issue would be the amount of stairs to navitate. Bus does sound good, however - how much does it cost? Will be staying at least 1 night in NYC, not sure where but I have some MR and PC points I can use so will chose probably based on convenience. And thanks for the Brooklyn directions - will save!

The bus is $15pp. the train is $5 to the metro station and about $12 on amtrak and less on NJ T.

OK, I was checking out the car service you mentioned, and I calculate that, even from EWR, it would be cheaper to use them than for 3 to take either the train or the bus! And they give Skymiles! :D Just goes to show you how it pays to A) ask questions on the boards, and B) never make assumptions about the cheapest mode of transportation.

OK, I was checking out the car service you mentioned, and I calculate that, even from EWR, it would be cheaper to use them than for 3 to take either the train or the bus! And they give Skymiles! :D Just goes to show you how it pays to A) ask questions on the boards, and B) never make assumptions about the cheapest mode of transportation.

remember to Brooklyn from either the train or the bus its still a $25-30 cab ride to the Brooklyn Cruise terminal. So if the car service from the Airport to the Cruise terminal charges about $60-5, it will be the same for three people(or a little less) to take the car service than the bus or skytrain/cab combo.

3 by bus =$45.00 plus cab = $70.-$75

by sky train its $5pp plus 12 pp plus the cab about $76-81.

and believe me the car service will be a much nicer way to start the vacation.

Archived