Scuba Diving Cozumel & Roatan

whirlybird3

I used Bananarama Eco-Resort in December and had a great time. Actually ended up as a solo dive with only the dive master. It is a long drive up there from Mahogany Bay, however, about a half hour or so. It was $95 plus tax for a two-tank dive and transportation both ways. A taxi is $20 each way so the all-inclusive price seemed good to me. I had my own equipment so I'm not sure what other rental fees might apply.

I have Dove in Cozumel using both the ship excursions from Carnival and Royal Caribbean. They use Sand Dollar Sports. I will tell you I have never had a problem with them. I understand about the whole cattle boat thing, but when I have used them never really had that feel. The both times I have used them there were 2 dive masters for the group of 12 and a group of 14. I thought it was great. I will say I have tried to book independent operator and for some reason I have had booking problems, Morning time already booked, afternoon time would miss the ship leaving. the last time I was there I tried three independent operators and they were booked. WHAT CAN YOU DO?!?!?! I know others on this board are not big fans of the whole ship sponsored excursions, but IMHO I have NOT ever had a problem with them.

As far as Roatan, I have only been there once on Carnival. I used the ship excursion, Anthony's Key. I was impressed. Great operation. It was really great. HIGHLY RECOMMEND diving in Roatan and using Anthony's key.

Now I am not the most experienced of divers. I have 10 dives. I do have my own gear, but I hardly bring it due to I fly to go on vacation. I live in NYC. I have found using the ship operator to be cheaper, then having to book my own operator, then have to rent everything, and get to and from the port. I realize there are probably more experienced divers on here but I do hope this helps some.

I have Dove in Cozumel using both the ship excursions from Carnival and Royal Caribbean. They use Sand Dollar Sports. I will tell you I have never had a problem with them. I understand about the whole cattle boat thing, but when I have used them never really had that feel. The both times I have used them there were 2 dive masters for the group of 12 and a group of 14. I thought it was great. I will say I have tried to book independent operator and for some reason I have had booking problems, Morning time already booked, afternoon time would miss the ship leaving. the last time I was there I tried three independent operators and they were booked. WHAT CAN YOU DO?!?!?! I know others on this board are not big fans of the whole ship sponsored excursions, but IMHO I have NOT ever had a problem with them.

As far as Roatan, I have only been there once on Carnival. I used the ship excursion, Anthony's Key. I was impressed. Great operation. It was really great. HIGHLY RECOMMEND diving in Roatan and using Anthony's key.

Now I am not the most experienced of divers. I have 10 dives. I do have my own gear, but I hardly bring it due to I fly to go on vacation. I live in NYC. I have found using the ship operator to be cheaper, then having to book my own operator, then have to rent everything, and get to and from the port. I realize there are probably more experienced divers on here but I do hope this helps some.

Thank you everyone for sharing your experience :)

I have dove in Cozumel numerous times, a week at a time using Dimi Dive. Unfortunately, they are unavailable on the day we are arrive to port. We usually travel with our own dive gear for our week long dive trips. I have to admit, renting gear has me a little nervous as we only rented twice for a dive excursion off the cruise ship in St. Thomas & Grand Cayman (Could not resist the temptation of diving) We are familiar with Sand Dollar & used them on our 1st visit to Cozumel about 15 years ago.

Thanks for the information on Roatan :) This is one of the dive locations on my list of must visit someday.

Since we are all speaking about diving... If possible, visit & dive Palau!

You're welcome!!!! On our last visit to Cozumel we were also on RCCL and after our dive/snorkel trip (we had a mixed group) we ask them to drop us off at one of the beach clubs for lunch. I can't remember which one it was but it was a great way to end the day. We had a fun lunch under a palapa on the beach, played in the water, and then took a taxi back to the ship. This eliminated shopping time but we were enjoying beach time. We had asked her after we made the reservation if the drop off at a beach would be possible instead of going back to the marina so she knew ahead of time. Have Fun!! Cherie

You're welcome!!!! On our last visit to Cozumel we were also on RCCL and after our dive/snorkel trip (we had a mixed group) we ask them to drop us off at one of the beach clubs for lunch. I can't remember which one it was but it was a great way to end the day. We had a fun lunch under a palapa on the beach, played in the water, and then took a taxi back to the ship. This eliminated shopping time but we were enjoying beach time. We had asked her after we made the reservation if the drop off at a beach would be possible instead of going back to the marina so she knew ahead of time. Have Fun!! Cherie

Great idea! She sounds really nice via e-mail and we are looking forward in meeting her.

I think RCCL uses Anthony's Key Resort in Roatan. I think they use Sand Dollar in Cozumel. I haven't used Anthony's Key but they are a full service dive resort and don't hear anything negative about them. I went out with Sand Dollar from a Carnival Cruise last year and they were fine.

Have also used Dive with Martin in Cozumel for 2 seperate vacations and was very happy with them. Check out their website.

Recommend Bananarama Eco Resort and dive shop in Roatan. We are using for the day off the ship on Jan 27, 2010 for diving and beach day. Also did 2 weeks of diving with this dive shop in 2008. (Jan and JUN) http://WWW.bananaramadive.com

I just got back from a cruise where we visited both Roatan and Cozumel and I used private operators at both ports because I prefer the smaller groups. I'm a reasonably experienced diver and don't really like the 35-40 minute cut off times of cattle boat operations. I sort of use cruises to check out different operators and resorts for longer dive vacations. In Roatan, I used Subway Watersports - they operate out of Turquoise Bay Resort and pick up from the pier and drop you back. They are a small operation and I rented equipment which worked just fine. Very responsive via e-mail and the crew was very safety oriented and friendly. The day I was diving there was a family finishing up their certification so it was just me and the dive leader. I was allowed to dive my computer so I had the time of my life because it was quite literally just the two of us, some of the biggest sponge I have ever seen, and exploring a wall that seemed to drop off into the abyss. Would definitely use them again if I'm back in Roatan.

I booked Cozumel through shoretrips.com - not my first choice but it was New Year's Day and a lot of the operators I contacted were closed or were already fully booked. The operator was Eagle Ray Divers and they run a small, personal operation. The dives were fun but Cozumel is usually pretty great so hard to go wrong. Hope you have some great dives!

• 1 year later...
Ditto the recommendation for dive with christina in Cozumel. She is great so is her husband. Great to work with and works with your level of experience. Also worked with our time in port.

I totally agree about Dive with Cristina. Luis and Cristina are both amazing dive masters. The dive boat Nena is clean and well maintained. They only take small groups. I have done over 100 dives all over the world and Luis is hands down the best dive master I have ever has the pleasure to dive with - anywhere. Their prices are great, especially considering that they give you drinks and a really nice lunch during your surface interval time. I have dove with them twice and had an really great experience both times. If you dive with them tell them Julie sent you!

Archived