RCI's accessible tenders

FL Jim

My travel agent told me that RCI's Brilliance of the Seas has lifeboats with wheelchair lifts that are used as tenders when needed, as in Grand Cayman. Has anyone had first-hand experience using these? My only experience on a tender was years ago in St. Martin and was quite scary. They carried me in my power chair down stairs in fairly rough seas. Don't want to repeat that!

Thanks,

Jim

All the RCCL ships have tender lifts; however we have not used any because they were never available - either they were not working or the lift was not at the "other"" tender door.

We take both my husband's power and manual chairs with us when we cruise so that he has the independence of his power chair aboard ship and the flexibility of the manual chair ashore. As a result, if my husband goes ashore at a tender port, he is lifted down/up in his manual chair, which is not more comfortable, but is safer since it is significantly lighter than the power one. The accessibilitiy of the tender vary since RCCL uses large local boats rather than life boats for tenders at most ports.

FL Jim,

I was on the Brilliance in 2002. They have a lift that takes you to the platform where the tenders are boarded. A manual lift is required from the platform into the tender. I use a scooter and needed to tell them where to lift on the scooter ... under the frame ... left alone they grab the tiller, the seat, the fenders ... and we all know how disasterous that could be.

The Brilliance also has electric doors on the HC cabins and HC bathrooms in public areas as well as in the cabin ... very convenient and the only ship I have been on that has this feature. They also have one electric revolving door to get out on deck. There are areas with heavy manual doors to outside decks, also. Have fun on your cruise!

Rascal Rider Ruth

Archived