Perseverance Trail Juneau

tinkerbell_8080

How many miles from the cruise ship dock is it to this trail? Also, is the flume trail near here?

Holly

The trailhead is downtown. About 15-20 minutes from the cruise dock (estimating?? ) You also may want to include a visit to the Last Chance Mine. Yes the Flume trail is in the same area. http://www.americantrails.org/photos/NRTphotos/perseverancemaplg.jpg

Edited by Budget Queen

A warning however. It is a steep climb to the trailhead and I would estimate it's at least a 1/2 hour walk. (I always drive!) You'll be pretty tired by the time you get there, and then the first 1/2 hour of Perseverance Trail is steep as well!

You'll pass the flume trailhead before getting to Perseverance Trail. There's a bridge crossing Gold Creek. Right before that, to the left, is a short trail leading over the creek and the flume trail starts there. You'll see it across the gulch the as you walk up Basin Road towards the trail.

It's flat the whole way and very lovely. You can make a very nice circle tour of Juneau by going on Basin Road, along the flume trail, then down the street it deadends on. You can roam past the old city cemetary, peek in at Cope Park and go up past the Governor's Mansion before returning to the dock area.

That's not as much forest scenery as Persererance Trail, but you get a bit of everything, for scenery to history to some great views.

Hmm...I swear there used to be an edit function. Don't like replying over and over to add to a post. (ETA: How strange. Now there's an Edit button, but not on my first post.)

Anyway. I got some distances so you can better judge walking times.

Looked at my handy 90 Short Walks Around Juneau by Mary Lou King. You can pick up a copy at Hearthside Books downtown. Amazon only seems to have old editions, but it's been updated recently.

She lists Basin Road, which connects Perseverance Trail and the downtown streets, as 1.5 miles. It's pretty level, but the streets leading to it can feel almost vertical.

Flume Trail is a mile long, ending at Hermit Street. You can pick up a local map for free from the tourist bureau kiosk by the docks to help yourself get back to the docks if you choose the circle route.

If you do want to hike Perseverance Trail, this book has all the maps and distances. There are several offshoot trails and you'll need to decide if you want to take them. The kiosk may have the trail map as well, I can't remember. If you plan ahead, you could probably get the trail make by mail from the local visitors bureau.

Edited by tee_harbor

I love those incredible streets in Juneau. They are my fitness test. If I can still manage those I am OK.

I won't tell if someone chooses to take a cab to the top Basin Road. :D

I think the most fit person in town in the postal delivery man for Starr Hill. All those stairs!

Hmm...I swear there used to be an edit function. Don't like replying over and over to add to a post. (ETA: How strange. Now there's an Edit button, but not on my first post.)

I think edits are only allowed for a brief time immediately following the post... it's more of a quick correct, in case you see an error right after you post.

I won't tell if someone chooses to take a cab to the top Basin Road. :D

I think the most fit person in town in the postal delivery man for Starr Hill. All those stairs!

It was in Juneau long, long ago that I first got the idea of photographing ridiculous flights of stairs and have continued to do so all over the world. Some real gems in Kyoto! However, for just plain 'you've got to be kidding' shock value to give the folks back home, you can't beat Juneau.

I think those stairs should be a tourist destination. Get over some of those cruise ship calories.

You all are great! Tee_Harbor since you will keep a secret and won't tell anyone about me taking a cab I will take your advice. :) How easy are cabs to get at the dock?

Holly

Cabs are available right at the dock. I have walked to Last Chance Mine, was "easier" than my coming down the switch back of Mt Roberts. :) (oh boy, forget about, up for me.)

Edited by Budget Queen

BudgetQueen, you and I are opposites. Due to a worn out leg (many injuries) I can go uphill all day, but down really hurts. Unfortunately there are no 'all up' or 'all down' trails.

Well I did go "up" to the Last Chance. :) Boy are you right. going down, is a challenge. And add a little dampness, and it's a mud slick. I do go up too, which is the Mendenhall East Loop, and Lower Dewey Lake. :)

It was in Juneau long, long ago that I first got the idea of photographing ridiculous flights of stairs and have continued to do so all over the world. Some real gems in Kyoto! However, for just plain 'you've got to be kidding' shock value to give the folks back home, you can't beat Juneau.

I think those stairs should be a tourist destination. Get over some of those cruise ship calories.

I totally recommend taking a tour of Starr Hill using the staircases. It's so fun, besides the loss of breath, to see how many you can find and use. It can be hard to read a map properly because some of the 'streets' are actually the staircases. Not going to work if you're driving a car! Sometimes they lead right to someone's front door, but no one cares. There's a tricky one that does en up someone's front yard, but you follow the sidewalk though their property and it pops out on a street.

You get great photos from these heights as well, back down to the docks and your ship.

• 5 years later...
A warning however. It is a steep climb to the trailhead and I would estimate it's at least a 1/2 hour walk. (I always drive!) You'll be pretty tired by the time you get there, and then the first 1/2 hour of Perseverance Trail is steep as well!

You'll pass the flume trailhead before getting to Perseverance Trail. There's a bridge crossing Gold Creek. Right before that, to the left, is a short trail leading over the creek and the flume trail starts there. You'll see it across the gulch the as you walk up Basin Road towards the trail.

I'm looking at different hiking options in Juneau. 1st blush had me going to Mendenhall for the East Glacier Trail, but I saw more than one person say the views aren't that great.

Perseverance Trail looks like a great option. Take a cab to avoid the steeps. Done. When you finish the hike, do you just typically walk back to the cruise ship since it's downhill? Or should I call a cab?

How far is the Moraine Ecology Trail from the visitor center in Mendenhall? Walking distance accessible from the shuttle drop off?

Studio472 ~ When will you be in Juneau? My DH is hiking Mt. Juneau, I'm not sure which trail but can find out, and he would love to hike with someone if there is mutual interest. We will be in Juneau 7/26 arriving on Celebrity's Millennium.

Not until mid-August on Radiance of the Sea. 8/16 maybe?

It was worth a shot. Turns out he is taking Perseverance trail to Mt. Juneau trail to the summit of Mt. Juneau.

Enjoy your hiking.

I encourage everyone to get off the well-worn tourism path, but please use caution. We just had a tourist fall on one of the trails to his death on July 4th while hiking alone. Great idea to seek a hiking partner and don't get distracted by the fabulous setting.

http://www.adn.com/article/20150706/florida-hiker-dead-after-apparent-fall-near-popular-juneau-hiking-trail

How far is the Moraine Ecology Trail from the visitor center in Mendenhall? Walking distance accessible from the shuttle drop off?

The shuttles drop you off at the visitor's center and all the trails start at the center.

I am going to be in Alaska in August and am wondering about a great place to take a short run. My husband will be with me and doesn't run--hence the need for it to be short (we're celebrating our 30th anniversary--can't leave him too long). We will stop in Juneau, Skagway, and Ketchikan. Anyway, I'm up for anything historical/beautiful/otherwise memorable. I would hate to try running a spot that I'll annoy visitors. I'm also okay with taking a cab to a trailhead.

For those of you who know the area, any thoughts? I was looking at Flume Trail as possible but am not sure that it's very scenic from what I've read. It also appears narrow, so may bug others if I run on it.

A bonus would be a visitor's center that dh could hang out while I run :) Thanks!

For those of you who know the area, any thoughts? I was looking at Flume Trail as possible but am not sure that it's very scenic from what I've read. It also appears narrow, so may bug others if I run on it.

Flume Trail is really pretty, kind of in the trees next to the hillside with waterfalls coming down (it might of been the pouring rain that day though), and the wooden planks would make it great for a run. We saw mostly locals walking their dogs, and a runner or two. I wouldn't worry about the width.

Perseverance Trail is also really great, and quite wide, with some expansive views. We encountered a couple of mountain bikers and runners, plenty of room for them to pass.

I'd hit both if you can, maybe Perseverance to as far as the turn-off to Ebner Falls. Maybe your husband wouldn't mind hanging around the area by the mining museum. Caution: Ebner Falls was flowing very powerfully when we were there last year, careful in that area.

• 4 weeks later...