Bus to Crane-walk to Bottom Bay???

grape farmer

Hi-We're cruising in March and while on Barbados we'd like to visit Crane and Bottom Bay. We think we'd take the bus to Crane Beach/Hotel. I can't tell from the bus website if it goes to Bottom Bay? It looks on the bus site as if it's the Fairchild St Terminal to Kirtons3 and Crane route. If we got off at Crane could we walk on the road above to Bottom Bay? And is it safe to do this? If I read it right it's maybe a mile and 1/2 which isn't bad, unless the road's dangerous due to traffic.

Thank you for your help.:)

If it's truly a mile and a half

that would be "as the crow flies" -dead straight line between the two points.

By road it's a zig-zagging 2 miles at least. :cool:

I reckon walking it is not practical. Take you an hour,each way

You'd be wasting time when you have to be back on a ship

(clear across the island) at 5 or 6 p.m.

If you were here for a week,however and you're the hiking type

I'd say go for it -with a hat, map, water bottle..

BBayPanorama124.jpg

Yes, bus it to Crane if you are so inclined

but I'd definitely taxi it from Crane to Bottom Bay and back.

Have him wait for you at BtmBay -it's remote.

Agree with it being not practical, & I would say not that safe either these days unfortunately. Bottom bay is nice for a while, more for looking at than any practical reason, can't swim there, go for a while then go on the Crane for lunch (be prepared to wait) Then Crane beach, beware of the waves they are no respecters of swimwear or sunglasses.

Just a quick note... We were on the Victory last week and we did it... went to Bottom Bay and Crane. We found a great taxi driver, Wayne, who took us on a personal 2 hour tour. We made lots of quick stops for photos and he told us history and made it so fun. We went to Crane and he took us in and showed us all around the grounds and told us about the place. Took some great photos. He didn't rush us at all and asked if we wanted to go to the beach, but we just wanted to roam and see the place. Then we went to Bottom Bay. OMG! It is truly beautiful. Hardly anyone there. We walked the beach and bought a necklace from a vendor. Very rough for swimming. We didn't stay long. Then we walked along the cliffs at the top for a view over Long Bay. Finally he took us to Accra/Rockly where we met up with a new ship friend and layed on the beach by Bar K'anaie (sp?) and drank some beer and swam and sunned all afternoon before heading back to the ship. We had the BEST day! It was quite full, yes, but we got a good start as soon as we came in to port... and yes, we walked right through the gates to the hordes of swarming taxi drivers, but Wayne seemed to just suck us out of the crowd and listened to what WE wanted to do. Great guy! LOVED Barbados and all the friendly people we met there. Thnaks Aplmac for all your advice. :)

P.S. Full review to come on Carnival site. We are still on Virgin Gorda with friends. Gotta go....

• 2 years later...
Just a quick note... We were on the Victory last week and we did it... went to Bottom Bay and Crane. We found a great taxi driver, Wayne, who took us on a personal 2 hour tour.

This is what we want to do next! We don't want to lounge, just walk around and take pictures for a few minutes. How long should a tour of Bottom and Crane take to and from the cruise port?

• 2 weeks later...
Just a quick note... We were on the Victory last week and we did it... went to Bottom Bay and Crane. We found a great taxi driver, Wayne, who took us on a personal 2 hour tour. We made lots of quick stops for photos and he told us history and made it so fun. We went to Crane and he took us in and showed us all around the grounds and told us about the place. Took some great photos. He didn't rush us at all and asked if we wanted to go to the beach, but we just wanted to roam and see the place. Then we went to Bottom Bay. OMG! It is truly beautiful. Hardly anyone there. We walked the beach and bought a necklace from a vendor. Very rough for swimming. We didn't stay long. Then we walked along the cliffs at the top for a view over Long Bay. Finally he took us to Accra/Rockly where we met up with a new ship friend and layed on the beach by Bar K'anaie (sp?) and drank some beer and swam and sunned all afternoon before heading back to the ship. We had the BEST day! It was quite full, yes, but we got a good start as soon as we came in to port... and yes, we walked right through the gates to the hordes of swarming taxi drivers, but Wayne seemed to just suck us out of the crowd and listened to what WE wanted to do. Great guy! LOVED Barbados and all the friendly people we met there. Thnaks Aplmac for all your advice. :)

P.S. Full review to come on Carnival site. We are still on Virgin Gorda with friends. Gotta go....

Crane is my favorite beach....I have been there twice.

What did he charge you for the day?

How many hours?

Would I be better finding a tour operator or speak to a taxi driver?

Thanks.

Don

Archived