Combining RCCL Visa Companion fare with C&A Savings certificate?

Nabalab

Hi there - I've done a search on this, but couldn't really find a specific answer so I figured I'd ask the pros!

I have 25K RCCL Visa points, which I would like to redeem for the Companion Fare for a 4-night cruise in the Fall. I understand that it's for the lowest priced OV stateroom up to $500.

Since wife and I want a balcony, we're willing to pay more. Now I see that there is a C&A Savings Certificate for the specific sailing we want to book.

Now what I am trying to figure out is -

a) Am I able to combine the points used for the Visa Companion Fare with the C&A Savings Certificate? I know they combine when using the Visa points for onboard credit or payment towards the cruise, but not sure about this one.

b) I take it that I'm supposed to book the cruise first, then call Visa, redeem the RCCL Visa points, make copies, mail it in, etc etc. So what would the value be of the Companion certificate? The price of the lowest OV Stateroom when booking the cruise (even though I'm booking balcony)? Or the price of the lowest OV Stateroom when the coupon is redeemed?

Thank you so much in advance!

The VISA points are combinable with all other discounts, such as share-holder benefits, C&A upgrades, NextCruise certificates, etc. So yes, you can combine.

Yes, you then upgrade by paying a little more. We booked an inside cabin, used our points to upgrade to an OV cabin, then paid an extra $10 to upgrade to the next level of OV cabin. No worries.

Here comes the "but"...

The problem with using the certificate then upgrading your cabin comes into play if there is a price drop. If you call to get a discount in response to a price drop, reservations only sees that you reserved a balcony room. They have no record that you booked a lower class, and upgraded using points. they have no record that you used points at all.

In your case, since the points are being used for a companion fare and one of you will still be paying for the category room in which you are staying, you'll probably be fine.

On my last two cruises I've booked the least expensive inside cabin and upgraded to OV using points. I've decided in the future to just trade in my points for their cash value, unless I have enough points to get something FREE. (Free is just free - no variables there.) A recent price drop on my upcoming cruise nearly caused me to lose my points when RCL wanted to credit me ONLY for the price drop on the OV cabin, not for the price drop on the INSIDE cabin I really booked. They eventually relented, but it took my TA a lot of time going back and forth between departments to work it all out.

You will need to book the cruise first because you need a reservation number for the VISA certificate. You will book the cabin category you intend to pay for, then upgrade with your certificate.

Archived