Shopping Questions?

Shopinpat

;)Will be heading to Australia and New Zealand soon.

For all you experienced travelers to these areas do you have any suggestions on what to buy and where?

Anyone have any must buys or not to miss looking for?

Any suggestions appreciated.

Will be in Aukland, Tauranga, Christchurch, Dunedin,Tasmania, Melbourne,

Sydney, and Cairns.

Thanks for any info.

Pat

Boomerangs and aboriginal dot paintings are nice. They are lightweight and travel home well. Both are available in a full range from imported, manufactured stuff for a few $$ to very expensive handmade examples. One good thing is many items made or grown in Oz have a yellow and green kangaroo label to indicate it wasn't imported. Items in the Cairns Night Market area were considerably cheaper than the same items in SYD and MEL. If you are interested in higher-end items, most places have at least one upscale store carrying Aussie items, many from noted indigenous artists.

I never tried Vegemite before and love it! I took home a jar, and when it ran out the trouble began. You'd think in an international commerce hub like LA it would be easy to find. I finally found it at a specialty place, $8 for a very small jar! I'm sure kids all over Oz will be glad to send me their jar and even pay the postage! :eek:

I never saw the keychains made from 'roo "bits". The first wildlife park we visited, we couldn't help but notice the "parts" seemed to slap the ground on every hop. I'm sure they don't but I wasn't going in for a closer look.... It didn't seem to bother the 'roos!

The first wildlife park we visited, we couldn't help but notice the "parts" seemed to slap the ground on every hop. I'm sure they don't but I wasn't going in for a closer look.... It didn't seem to bother the 'roos!

Yep - thats what we call tough nuts;)

Dear Shopinpat

I cant see where you are from, it may be a colder climate, but with over 40k sheep NZ is famous for its great range of Wool items - angora jumpers, cardigans, scarfs, ugg boots etc...

NZ is also known for its jade and Paua shell jewellery items - paua is from abolone which is polished up - beautiful blue, green, purple, silver colours ... I bought a beautiful necklace and earrings for a friend.

Jane

If you want some great buys in Sydney, be sure and go to Paddy's Market. I think it is open Thursday through Sunday but is one of my favorite places to pick up Australian hats and souvenirs at a great price. It is such an interesting place. If you go to New Zealand, be sure and buy a possum sweater. I know it sounds gross but there possums aren't like ours and are more like cashmere. Sydney has some great markets but they are only on week ends. Happy Trails. Sue

If you buy shell, wood or fur products in NZ you MUST declare them to Aussie customs/quarantine when you get here. I highly doubt they will be confiscated but they do like to check you aren't bringing in any extra "visitors". If you are unsure, declare them anyway.

R.M. Williams is a great store (you can shop online too!).

• 1 month later...
Boomerangs and aboriginal dot paintings are nice. They are lightweight and travel home well. Both are available in a full range from imported, manufactured stuff for a few $$ to very expensive handmade examples. One good thing is many items made or grown in Oz have a yellow and green kangaroo label to indicate it wasn't imported. Items in the Cairns Night Market area were considerably cheaper than the same items in SYD and MEL. If you are interested in higher-end items, most places have at least one upscale store carrying Aussie items, many from noted indigenous artists.

I never tried Vegemite before and love it! I took home a jar, and when it ran out the trouble began. You'd think in an international commerce hub like LA it would be easy to find. I finally found it at a specialty place, $8 for a very small jar! I'm sure kids all over Oz will be glad to send me their jar and even pay the postage! :eek:

I never saw the keychains made from 'roo "bits". The first wildlife park we visited, we couldn't help but notice the "parts" seemed to slap the ground on every hop. I'm sure they don't but I wasn't going in for a closer look.... It didn't seem to bother the 'roos!

Hi Kenish...I've seen Vegemite at Cost Plus, up here in Northern California and here's the list for locations in your neck of the woods (more or less)

http://www.worldmarket.com/storeLocator/index.jsp;jsessionid=1BvJLJdd7B92QRQTjnQZj31gpcFrFPgKnhML055TCjs7HnqgZXgT!453723262?ab=StoreLocator_Header

If you love sweaters, definitely check out the possum sweaters someone earlier mentioned. I just got back last week and bought two of them. There is a wonderful store in Auckland in an artsy area called the Parnell district, you can take bus #13 from the waterfront, only a 7-10minute ride. The store is called "Wooley for You". I traveled all over NZ for 6 weeks and she had the best items for the best prices. These sweaters are amazingly light and they're hand washable!

There were also many galleries all over NZ with beautiful blown glass vases and bowls that were willing to ship to the US very reasonably. The quality was incredible.

Happy shopping!

• 1 month later...
Hi Kenish...I've seen Vegemite at Cost Plus, up here in Northern California and here's the list for locations in your neck of the woods (more or less)

http://www.worldmarket.com/storeLocator/index.jsp;jsessionid=1BvJLJdd7B92QRQTjnQZj31gpcFrFPgKnhML055TCjs7HnqgZXgT!453723262?ab=StoreLocator_Header

I bought Vegemite in the gift shop at Columbia Icefields in Canada. Other Aussies we met up with appreciated me sharing it

• 1 month later...

'Only Australian Groceries' has a website, orders of items can be shipped worldwide.

https://www.onlyoz.com.au/index.php

These 'Flat Teddy Bears' made from Australian sheepskin are cute and make nice gifts for babies. (See website for stockists) There is also an adorable small Koala too.

http://www.flatout.com.au/bears.htm

Dinosaur Design Jewellery also has some wonderful and unique Australian items available.

http://www.dinosaurdesigns.com.au/

Archived