Onboard charge account

We don't like to use a credit card for onboard charges either, but have found it's easier to open the account with a cc rather than cash. What we do is take enough cash to cover our expected charges and pay it off on the last full day. If any drinks are purchased on the last night, we'll either stop by again and pay for them, or let them ride out on the credit card.

You can start a cash account instead, check with the cruise line to ask how much of a minimum is needed. You will then need to replenish if the account gets low, they won't allow you to charge anything that isn't covered already with cash. At the end of the cruise, they will write you a check if there is any cash still on the account.

We did cash on Monarch in October rather than tying anything back to a credit card to avoid any hassle with that, and i have to say that it was really pretty easy - you are able to get a detailed view of what you spend each day on your sea pass if you would like, and at the end of the cruise you don't have to worry about any remaining bills! When we walked onto the ship, we went right to guest services and put down $500 (I think the minimum was $300) and then added on as necessary throughout the trip.

They don't actually CHARGE the credit card until the last night....so use the card to "hold" your account, then go down to the desk the night before and pay it off....that's the absolute easiest way!

You can put cash on your account, but it all works out the same...and the credit card is much easier!

• 2 weeks later...

What we do is take enough cash to cover our expected charges and pay it off on the last full day.

I got back from my cruise a week ago. I paid off the charges against my credit card in full the last night of the cruise but RCI has still not lifted the hold on my account. Has anyone else had this problem?

What we do is take enough cash to cover our expected charges and pay it off on the last full day.

I got back from my cruise a week ago. I paid off the charges against my credit card in full the last night of the cruise but RCI has still not lifted the hold on my account. Has anyone else had this problem?

RCI will not lift the hold, it will be released when the charge hits, as you paid in cash the charge wl never hit, in that case the hold will automatically be released, by your bank after about 7 days

why would you not use a cc- and just pay it off when you get home?

For myself, I use only cash now as I have little self control when I use credit or even debit cards. I take out my weekly allowance and when it's gone it's gone. I am much more careful when I have to hand over actual cash. I know it shouldn't have to be that way but for me it works. My savings account has been thanking me.

BUT, on cruises we use dh's American Express (no limit and has to be paid off each month) onboard and just use cash for all other expenses.

Monica

I am starting to think, cash would be better, then when you get home your not faced with a huge CC bill. We generally take a certain amount of cash anyway to cover the gambling, which comes from our Cruise jar that we keep putting change in throughout the year prior to the cruise. I need to allow for DH beer charges. We could leave the tours on the CC.

I'm wondering if it is just easier to charge it and have the money waiting to pay it off when I come home.

A thousand times over, YES! Why waste precious vacation time having to stand in line at the pursers desk.

A thousand times over, YES! Why waste precious vacation time having to stand in line at the pursers desk.

Well... I had to stand in line on multiple days wasting my precious vacation time and getting very frustrated in order to get my CC worked out. Between having the CC declined because the card company can't seem to read the notes in my account that there would be charges from Royal Caribbean on my cruise... to the purser's desk being authorization happy and tying up funds on my CC... I spent TOO MUCH time in line. We would usually see them once each morning and once each evening when we would get the prized letter in the cabin letting us know there was something wrong and to please come see them. Since then I have only used cash... and will probably continue to do so.

RCI will not lift the hold, it will be released when the charge hits, as you paid in cash the charge wl never hit, in that case the hold will automatically be released, by your bank after about 7 days

I see you are traveling 3/28 on the Freedom.

Come join our roll call.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=22627410&posted=1#post22627410

Denise

Just wondering, how does a cash account work. I dont' want to use my credit card. (trying to pay it off).

Call RCCL weekly and have them add money to your OBC that way when you get on the cruise you will already have a credit and use the cc for back up. We do that and by the time we set sail everything was paid in cash including the hotels and shore excursions. Its a nice feeling to know it is paid before I go.

In the past, I have hooked it up to a credit card, but then put my saved cash on my on board expense account. So I will put, say, 500 dollars on my seapass card when I get on board and then get a check at the end of the cruise (or my credit card is charged the extra amount).

Archived