Is it worth going Diamond?

We are heading on the Oasis in November 2010....and if I go another shortie I can be diamond before then......here's the thing....is it worth it?....Anyone been on her that is Diamond and were disappointed?....Thanks for any opinions...

Lee

Here's my question back to you - Have the cruises you've been on with RCL been worth it? That's what you're paying for.

As I see it, any "perks" from C&A are just that - Perks. I'll gladly accept them in the manner they are given, as a "thank you" from RCL. I paid my fare, and they delivered what I purchased. Therefore they owe me nothing, and I owe them nothing. I continue to enjoy my cruises with Royal Caribbean so I'll continue to be a patron of their service and accept the perks with gratitude. If you are only cruising to get the loyalty points, I think you need to re-examine why you choose a particular cruise line.

No flames are intended in this post - I'm not trying to be mean or an a$$ or something! I just don't understand!!:o

We are heading on the Oasis in November 2010....and if I go another shortie I can be diamond before then......here's the thing....is it worth it?....Anyone been on her that is Diamond and were disappointed?....Thanks for any opinions...

Lee

I've never been disappointed by being Gold, Platinum, Diamond or D+ and have enjoyed what each level has to offer. More importantly, I loved every cruise!

You have access to the Diamond lounge 24 hours a day. Free coffee drinks all day and free alcohol, canned soft drinks and appetizers from 5pm to 8;30pm. Coupon book just a bit better and you have a separate party for just Diamond members. You get no cabin upgrades or special dining tables as a Diamond. You need Diamond + for those benefits.

In my opinion the expedited boarding and disembarking are worth being a Diamond or D+ all by themselves. The other stuff is just gravy, so to speak!

Yes, it's worth the shorty to get to the Diamond level.

There's a thread in Floataway Lounge talking about a strong rumor that cruise credits to reach Diamond are going up the end of the first quarter. So, OP, I don't know whether you want to consider that or not, as it's just a rumour at this stage. Some of the People on that thread have had some accurate info in the past.

Lee

The best thing about being Diamond is the balcony discount. Otherwise, RCI has cut it back to the point that I feel very little loyalty to the brand. If they're going where we want to go and, if the price is cheaper than the other cruise lines (taking into account the balcony discount), then I'll stay with RCI. If I find something less expensive that I believe I'll like just as much, then I'll try another cruise line.

The coupons are nice but, they don't amount to a great deal of savings. The Diamond event wasn't all that special IMHO and, I prefer something other than house wine and house champagne (chateau de la cra* I've heard it called). The breakfast is nice, priorty wait lounges are nice but, it's not really necessary for my enjoyment of a cruise.

I haven't been in a Diamond lounge yet. We might enjoy that more. The problem is, Diamond lounges are all on ships sailing the Caribbean. We're not huge fans of the caribbean. I'd rather sail Alaska, the Med or maybe a New England Canada cruise or perhaps a Panama Canal cruise. Those ships don't have Diamond lounges on them. So the Diamond lounge as a benefit is pretty much lost on us.

Losing access to the Conceirge lounge is pretty much the straw that broke the camal's back as far as any strong sense of loyalty to RCI is concerned. I did enjoy the Conceirge lounge the ONE time we got to use it before RCI took it away. I'mnot about to sail them enough times to make D+ just to earn that benefit back. Who's to say that, once we reach D+ they won't pull it away again.

The Oasis has a Diamond Lounge, so that will be very nice. However, it is my opinion that booking an additional cruise just to reach Diamond is foolish. The money you will spend on that cruise would be far more valuable than the perks you will receive as a Diamond Member.

Book that extra cruise because you want to go on a cruise, not because you want to reach a loyalty level.

I don't know that it is worth any amount of money just to reach a higher C&A level. However, if you will enjoy the cruise and have a great vacation, then that bump is just another perk!

D

Hi

I was actually in your predictament a couple years ago. I was booked for a 12 night EOS cruise in March 2008. I was only 1 point from Diamond status and took a quick 4 nighter In January on Majesty of the Seas to have the Diamond status for the longer cruise. DD & I thoroughly enjoyed the shorter cruise and more imporantly enjoyed the Diamond benefits on the 12 nighter. Go for it if you can afford it and do it, up to you!;)

I would say do the short cruise. You will benifit immediately with the additional balcony discount and depending on what you drink in the Diamond Lounge you will save a couple bucks. Another added advantage is meeting folks in the lounge. Along with the cocktails the social aspect is also a nice benifit. As Platinum you already have priority boarding so you will gain nothing there. Enjoy.

I currently have 9 cruise credits (Platinum) and am sailing next month in a Jr Suite.

Will I become Diamond THIS cruise' date=' or AFTER this cruise is[/b'] completed? :rolleyes:

You will become Diamond after you have completed the cruise. But at least you'll get 2 credits because of the Jr. Suite ;)

Archived