Do you get a "Cruise Hang-over?"

Lapidarylady

I don't know about you all, but I find it very hard to re-adjust to life after being on a cruise. Here are my Top 10 Reasons I Need to Get Back on Board!

#10 The smell of hand sanitizer gives you flashbacks about entering the Lido or dining room.

#9 You are still carrying around your soda card and room key in your wallet.

#8 Expecting to hear chimes at lunchtime and then navigational announcements by the captain, followed by the rundown of what is happening around the ship by the cruise director.

#7 You would like to go to the mall, but want to hear what the port shopping advisor recommends.

#6 You find yourself absentmindedly folding your towels into little animals while doing the laundry.

#5 Your children won't go to bed unless they get a chocolate coin.

#4 Your family wakes and finds you pigging out on cakes and chocolate at 11:00pm in the kitchen. Your defense? You tell them you were sleepwalking and dreaming of "Chocolate Extravaganza Night"

#3 Every morning you wake up, leap out of bed and look out the window, only to be disappointed you aren't in a new port.

#2 While in the grocery store you burst into tears when you hear the song being played over the speaker is " Love in Any Language".

and the number one reason you need to get back on the boat?

Constantly reading or posting on the Cruise Critic . com boards!

Please share your experiences with "Cruise Hangover Syndrome":D:p

Yes...yes....yes.... I get a major cruise hang-over...every time. SIGH!! Painful at times.

OK, so not so much with #7 as I hate shopping and #5 as I have no kids. But, with you on all the others.

And more...

While scraping and cleaning teeth (I'm a Dental Hygienist) ABBA comes on the radio and I get up and start dancing thinking that it's late night in the Crow's Nest. My Love hates ABBA so it makes me laugh but I insist on dancing anyway and he's usually game because he's so sweet (rolls his eyes the entire song). My patient thinks this is verrry unprofessional. LOL!!

It's really hot so I look for a steward to order a frosty drink. OOPS...I'm scraping teeth again and the heat is too high and I'm wrapped in lab coat, mask, goggles and gloves.....ugh...just too hot and someone is breathing on me....yikes!! That's someones breath not a tropical breeze. Now I really need that drink.

Ahhh... that ocean spray. Oh...my... that was splatter from my patients mouth while rinse and "suction". Ugh...NOT fresh ocean spray. Such a glamorous job. No need for sun screen I guess. SIGH!

As my Love reminds me....gives you money to enjoy the things you like (cruises). Gives you flexibility to take time off to do the things you like to do (cruises). And you are really good at what you do.....um....unless I have a cruise Hangover. I can think of nothing but what I was doing that day the week before at that time. OPEN WIDE!

OH.....MY....I really need another cruise!!!

LOL, :DWendy

Seeing that it is noon and my bed isn't made.

Having to actually open the lid myself on the Purell

It is now 3 and no one had made my bed yet, it this continues tomorrow I will have to speak to the person in charge.

No towel animals on my unmade bed but someone left a book and now expects ME to make them. ( Yeah, right)

I keep wandering around at 5pm looking for the happy hour, I want my Green Apple martini!

I find that a good cure for a cruise hangover is to book another cruise! That's what I did.

That being said, I recently heard of an actual problem caused by disembarking a ship. It's called Mal de Debarquement, or Disembarkment Syndrome. This causes a person to continue to feel a rocking motion. This sensation can apparently last for months or years. Huh. Anybody else know about this?

#9 You are still carrying around your soda card and room key in your wallet.

Oh, bother ... that's me to a T. I always carry around my most prior cruise's room key in my wallet from disembarkation day until the night before I embark on my next cruise. It's my way of pretending that shore-side life is just an inconvenient break between cruises. :)

"That being said, I recently heard of an actual problem caused by disembarking a ship. It's called Mal de Debarquement, or Disembarkment Syndrome. This causes a person to continue to feel a rocking motion. This sensation can apparently last for months or years. Huh. Anybody else know about this? "

I have this after every cruise. Maybe it's very common and losts of people expereince it for a week. But would hate for it to be longer than that. I also have trouble sleeping after a cruise because there is no rocking motion in my house (not that I wish for any!)

smileycruiser 2007

I usually book a cruise right away after we get home from a cruise. We then at least have another one to look forward to.

And I spend at least a week after a cruise describing every meal to DH, using terms similar to what are found on the HAL menus. E.g., "Today's lunch is a blend of vine ripened tomatoes slowly simmered to perfection, paired with a delicate hint of basil. Served with traditional accompaniments." (Tomato soup and crackers :) )

I find that a good cure for a cruise hangover is to book another cruise! That's what I did.

That being said, I recently heard of an actual problem caused by disembarking a ship. It's called Mal de Debarquement, or Disembarkment Syndrome. This causes a person to continue to feel a rocking motion. This sensation can apparently last for months or years. Huh. Anybody else know about this?

Yes, some people experience this for years and years. There was a thread a year or so ago on the "Ask a Cruise Question" forum about it.

In the past, I'd feel the floor rocking intermittently for a day or two post-cruise. In May/08 I got it BAD after our Alaska cruise that had high waves, strong winds, lots of "ocean motion". It was debilitating and (for me) dangerous -- I fell on the stairs, I fell into counters, I was bruised and battered. Fortunately it went away. Hasn't happened after the 2 subsequent cruises, so I blame the violent ocean motion of the one cruise.

The first post-cruise morning there's usually no coffee ready because the "steward" didn't fix any. And room service definitely didn't bring any.

Dinner time: 'what's for dinner?' Oops, you mean we can't go to the dining room for an awesome meal? Out come the TV dinners (we live too far from town for delivery).

Where's my [insert item of clothing]: in the suitcase, not unpacked, or in the laundry, not yet washed

Some day I'm going to pack the cabin steward in my suitcase and bring him/her home with me.

Larsenbiz--

Wow, I have actually been having this too, but usually when I lay down to sleep at night! It is one of the things I love about being onboard, so thought I was just having pleasant hallucinations. It is diminishing 72 hours now since we disembarked.....(SIGH!):(

LOL Cow Princess! I was just thinking that as I am making a big crockpot full of refrigerator soup...How am I going to dress this up in the presentation?

The Apple Martinis sound good....maybe I can whip up some to give him before I present the soup? Hmm...

CDRMark....The CDR wouldn't stand for "Cruise Director" would it? If so then I can understand if you are on ships continually you would have the opposite syndrome.....Wanna switch jobs?

NMLADY, I feel the same way....We had the same first meal when we got home, Marie Calendar's Turkey Pot Pies.....I have been doing tons of laundry and grocery shopping, paying bills and cleaning the house....I would love to have my own personal room steward and chef, but then again, if we had them would the cruise be as much of a treat?:rolleyes:

Vinodoc, Beautiful screen saver! Hubby put one on my computer that is a gorgeous shot he took from the Sports Deck when we were in Sitka, AL a few years ago.....I like yours because it has the ship in it too.:D

I have this as my computer background, and I find myself staring at it aimlessly.

SDC10512.jpg

Vinodoc - I have photos of past cruises on my computer screen, too, but PLEASE, do you mind if I download your photo? It's a beautiful location, where was it taken?

We got off the last Dam cruise a month ago yesterday. I'm just now beginning to feel like I'm back to normal. :( I don't like feeling normal . . .

Thanks Lapidarylady and Iris for the kind comments. Please feel free to use the photos. I am honored.

The photo is taken on top of Fira/Santorini at a charming cafe looking down on our ship Oosterdam this past June.

Kevin

a big crockpot full of refrigerator soup...How am I going to dress this up in the presentation?

I'm presuming "refrigerator soup" is from using up the bits and pieces in the fridge. Here ya go:

"An interesting new interpretation of some of our favorites, gently slow-cooked in a delicious, subtle broth" :D

(I used to spend time writing computer upgrade bulletins -- making computer system changes sound interesting, beneficial and fun -- making leftovers sound pretty good is not that difficult :) )

#3 Every morning you wake up, leap out of bed and look out the window, only to be disappointed you aren't in a new port.

Yep, that's me for the first couple of days after a cruise!

Also the disappointment when I realise there is no elevator to take me to the Lido deck for breakfast or lunch. :(

I can't help but notice that no one comes to bring me more coffee at breakfast, rather I have to go over to the coffee pot to fetch it myself. Not only that, the dishes don't magically disappear from the table when I leave.

Nor are my bathroom towels replaced with fresh dry ones.

And why isn't my t.p. folded to a point anymore?

Mal de Debarquement is no joke. Been rocking and swaying 24/7 for over 6 years. Totally disabled by this. More people need to be aware that for many people not getting land legs is a forever thing. The cruise lines don't acknowledge this or contribute to research in any way which would be to their advantage. Would love to cruise but can't walk across the room or sleep at night without feeling like I'm in a hurricane at sea.:confused:

SSS

Archived