Ship Art Auctions... Value or Not?

WineGuy

We always have a look at what's on offer but have never seen anything we'd want to see ever again, let alone on our wall! It's entirely a matter of personal taste and that is so subjective - one person's "exquisite masterpiece" is another person's "garage sale tat". If I want a piece of art as a souvenir of my trip I go to a reputable gallery ashore showing work by local artists.

We were appalled by the *bad* art being shown. Who'd *want* that stuff in their home? It all looks so cheesy and cheap. Ugh ugh ugh!

Isn't art seen through the eyes of the person viewing it? Van Gough was considered trash in his time. Now the price is at the top of the scale. Who is to say what is art. Different folks...different strokes...but if it does not rise to your standards so be it but some of us think different. Hope you don't run into us aboard but then again you would be slumming if you did.;)

We love going to the shows and have purchased a few prints along the way.

We have also "won" a few prints, had to pay a $30 shipping fee (up to 5 prints in a capsule) but had fun giving the prints to friends after we had them framed at home.

We have carried off framed and unframed prints and paid for the shipping.

We live in Michigan and Park West is also from Michigan so we had to pay tax.

It is interesting to learn about the different artist whether you buy or not, you also get a small print free after the show and we also give these away if we don't like them. There is always some family or friend that likes a print.

We have also donated a few prints to charities to auction off.

It may not be your thing to do but there is no reason to be so negative about some thing you are not forced to do (and maybe don't know much about)

Go once and just sit back and see for yourself.

Hey, if you like it, can afford it, have a place for it, and it will remind you of the wonderful cruise you bought it on, then buy it!

I did buy something once. On the Crown Princess I was high bidder on the ship's navigation map that was on display and plotted throughout the cruise. I think I paid $225 and with it came one of the ship's flags that was flown during the week. The icing on the cake was a personal tour of the bridge where we spent a good 30 minutes with the Commadore, and another 30 minutes with one of his officers. Framed the map and the pictures taken that day mean alot to us. So yes, art (and what might go with it) is in the eye of the beholder. :)

I cannot speak specifically to Princess since they have taken their art auctions "in house." However, when on Princess we have not been overly impressed by the quality of art vs prices. However, when it comes to Park West I would suggest anyone who has an interest simply google "Park West and scam" and read a few of the web sites. We once had dinner with a professional art appraiser from Atlanta who told us that she had a few situations where she did estate appraisals and had to deliver the bad news to folks that their "valuable art" purchased on cruise ships was mostly worthless. The best advice we received was that unless you have a lot of personal knowledge of art and its value you should not be sucked-in at cruise line auctions.

Hank

I'd say doing your homework is a must. I'm only familiar with Park West since we've been on 2 recent NCL cruises. I really liked a particular artist and after the 1st cruise, I looked him up online to see what the going prices were, and they were much lower than what they were selling for on the ship. But when I went on my 2nd cruise, I saw the same artist and was able to get a print I really liked for quite a good deal. You have to keep in mind the 15% upcharge and shipping tube charges and know what you're willing to spend. Also keep in mind Park West offered art from Picasso, Dali, and Rembrandt, so these are not pieces of "junk" that they're selling- however, those particular pieces went upwards for $30K+. I met one couple who purchased 6-8 pieces of art on our last cruise!

Archived