Anyone ever flown with Island Wings in Alaska?

sgmburt

We are going on our first cruise (to Alaska) in May and are considering using Island Wings for the Misty Fjords Float Plane Excursion. Just wondered if anyone has used them before and how you like it?

on the May 8,2009 ryndam cruise we took this trip. Michelle was the pilot of the 7 passenger plane. my son in law sat next to her. He is a pilot when he can use a plane of his sister's in laws. my daughter & I shared the rest of the plane with a young couple from Bombay and their 5 yr old daughter. The day was bright and after flying between tall cliffs landed on the beach for about 15 minutes. It was glorious and IMO better than the one I took in 1992 with my late husband. as i recall we were on a plane with about 20 other passengers,each with a window and landed on the water. I was afraid to go out on the wing. it was rainy and misty,but we WERE in Misty fiord! I found information on this website for the company and at the same time my daughter had independently located this excursion. I believe I found my info in the Alaska thread. GO go. expensive but well worth it.

We are going on our first cruise (to Alaska) in May and are considering using Island Wings for the Misty Fjords Float Plane Excursion. Just wondered if anyone has used them before and how you like it?

Island Wings gets consistently positive reviews on the Alaska forum.

The Alaska forum is here:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=55

Use the "Search Forum" function and search for Island Wings. (I've not used them -- there is no way I'd go on one of those little planes but always read the reviews :) )

Enjoy Alaska!

My husband and 3 adult children had a wonderful, memorable flight with Michelle last July. While I didn't accompany them since I stayed behind on the ship with my 85 y/o mother, their trip was everything that I read about and hoped it would be! Spend the money, cross your fingers that the weather will be clear and have that special, experience. If you're going to Juneau don't miss a whale watching boat trip out with Jay from Harv & Marv's! Really, my family (including our elderly mother!) thought our experience with him was among our most magical moments together as a family.

It's been quite awhile, but, my wife's and I first cruise was in August of 2003 and we booked with Island Wings. I spent 20 years in the Air Force and I've never had a smoother take off or landing. The young lady who piloted the plane was originally from Nebraska and she was fantastic. We flew to a remote lake and was able to get off the plane and walk around for about 30 minutes. If I ever get the chance, I would book with Island Wings again.

Jon

I flew with Island Wings this Summer into Misty Fjords. Very smooth flight and landing into a remote water canyon. Not only is Michelle a skillfull pilot but she provides good commentary and relaxing music via headphones. What makes her trip stand out is that she actually lets you get off the plane and walk around on land for a few minutes. We really enjoyed going on a short hike around the beach were she tied up. She was much cheaper than any of the ships flightseeing excursions.

Michelle is the BEST! Went with her in 2008 and 2009. She made sure to land a different place in 2009 so that I'd have a new experience. The other 4 on my 2009 flight were first timers, so no problem. It's little things like being concerned about her passengers experiences that makes Michelle special.

Archived