3rd time in Egypt... What to see?

Marie-Claude

We are planning our 3rd visit to Egypt.

1st time, we visited Gizeh, Saqqarah and Memphis

2nd time, we visite Islamic Cairo (Citadel) and Coptic Cairo with a felucca ride.

In November, we have the opportunity to overnight in Cairo since our cruise stops in Port Said then Alexandria.

I'm thinking of going to Cairo, spend the night then going to Alexandria to visit the city.

I haven't seen the Bazaar Khan el-Khalili, which I hope to include for the day in Cairo. I need suggestions on what else to include while in Cairo for daytime AND nightime... also, would you stay in Cairo or in Gizeh?

Thanks in advance!!

MC

Unless you are planning to see the pyramids again, I would stay in Cairo, not in Giza. I definitely agree that you should visit the Khan el-Khalili.

Some suggestions of what to see in Cairo:

Ibn Tulun mosque -- one of the oldest and most beautiful (and peaceful) mosques in Cairo:

http://www.sacred-destinations.com/egypt/cairo-ibn-tulun-mosque

The Gayer-Anderson house museum -- unusual museum in a beautiful early Ottoman-style house

http://www.touregypt.net/featurestories/gayeranderson.htm

City of the Dead and the Qait Bey mausoleum in it:

http://www.egyptmyway.com/articles/cityofdead.html

Thanks Cruisemom42!

Great websites!

The Gayer Anderson museum sounds like a very interesting way to spend a few hours, and it's right beside the Mosque!

The City of the Dead would also provide for an interesting visit... I'll have to convince my Mom!

Thanks sbtw13 - I would LOVE to do something like a climb to Mt Sinai, but since I'm travelling with my Mom, that will be for another trip!!!

MC:)

Thanks Cruisemom42!

Great websites!

The Gayer Anderson museum sounds like a very interesting way to spend a few hours, and it's right beside the Mosque!

The City of the Dead would also provide for an interesting visit... I'll have to convince my Mom!

MC:)

The City of the Dead sounds a little creepy in theory, but in reality I found it very interesting to drive through the streets and see these people living in the old tombs. Actually, their housing was/is probably better than a lot of the Cairenes that live in half-finished houses or outright slums. The old tombs are built just like houses and are beautifully decorated....although of course now somewhat dilapidated.

The mausoleum/madrassa of Qait Bey is astounding, sitting where it does. Also, there are small artisanal workshops here and there. We went into a glass shop near the mausoleum where the glass is recycled but blown into shapes that are similar to early Egyptian glass.

I wouldn't walk around without a guide, but with one I felt very safe. I did it with Casual Cairo Detours, which has been highly recommended by others.

Another thing you might enjoy is the very old Nilometer on Roda island -- used to predict the inundation of the Nile. It's not a very long stop, but I found it quite interesting.

http://www.touregypt.net/featurestories/nilometerroda.htm

There's also a point at the end of Roda island (just a bit past the Nilometer) where you can get nice photos of Cairo.

...I found it very interesting to drive through the streets and see these people living in the old tombs.

Cruisemom42,

We drove past it last time, but now you say you drove through it... how long of a walk did you do in this area?

I'm trying to figure out how hard/easy it will be for my Mom. Last November, we walked the Citadel, then through Coptic Cairo - probably spent 1.5 hours in the narrow streets of the Coptic area and she was fine. Would you say it would be about the same?

Thank you so much for all your insights!

MC

Cruisemom42,

We drove past it last time, but now you say you drove through it... how long of a walk did you do in this area?

I'm trying to figure out how hard/easy it will be for my Mom. Last November, we walked the Citadel, then through Coptic Cairo - probably spent 1.5 hours in the narrow streets of the Coptic area and she was fine. Would you say it would be about the same?

Thank you so much for all your insights!

MC

We probably spent around 2 hours altogether in the City of the Dead. We drove through some areas (it's very large) and every so often we'd get out and walk for a while. I don't think your mother would find it too difficult.

Archived