1st time AK

jfboca

First time cruisers to AK. Family of 5 undecided which of the following trips to take!

1 - Princess/Diamond - Tracey Arm out of Seattle

2 - NCL/Star - Glacier Bay from Seattle

3 - RCCL/Radiance - Hubbard Glacier

Your replies would be very helpful.

One final item, how difficult or far is it to get from SEA to VAN, and is it a nice drive?

Have a great cruise!

Joe

After weeks and weeks of researching, I thought the best for mine and my wife's first Alaska cruise would be Princess Diamond. The airfare from Seattle to Seattle is way cheaper from the east coast. The PD seems like a much nicer ship than our other choices. And although the drive to Van and back didn't seem that bad, it seemed like it could become a hassle with crossing the border or making it back in time to catch the bus. And after a week of enjoyment and relaxing, a hassle is not something I want.:)

NCL was in the running for quite a while because of the Freestyle until I found out Princess offers similar dining called Personal Choice.

Plus this may sound stupid, but go on either website and check them out. The Princess website is excellent while NCL :eek: leaves alot to be desired. This IMHO is a reflection of the two cruiselines.

Simple to get Vancouver/Seattle. Easy drive, train, bus, cruiseline bus. I greatly prefer Vancouver sailing for the inside Vancouver Island. More inside passage sailing as well on some routes. Glacier Bay is also my clear preference having sailed all 3 glacier areas.

After much research, I choose the NCL Star Glacier Bay from Seattle cruise. Every review I read on the web seemed to make this the best pick of the lot. Travel to Seattle vs Vancouver seemed much easier and cheaper. I know one can take a train, bus or car to Vancouver -- but we would rather fly into Seattle 1-2 days ahead of time and see the city before sailing. This trip is a birthday present for my husband.

Archived