Prinsendam 2005 World Tour... it has begun

Grumpy1

Really enjoying your reviews and can't wait until the 29th when the "real" WC begins from LA. There will be lots of folks joinging you then, I am sure, including the dentist and his wife who were on our Rotterdam 2001 World Cruise with us.

Dear Grumpi:

My wife and I will be joining you on the Prinsendam from Capetown to New York City. We board the ship in Capetown after a safari in Botsana and Victoria Falls. We are looking forward to meeting you. We do not have our cabin assignment as yet because we are joining you later in the cruise. I read your account carefully because it is our first time on the ship. We are Hal cruisers and have been on most ships. LOU

Have been lurking on the HAL board for a while, but your thread has brought me out of hiding! We will be doing our first HAL in November on the Massdam. Just wanted to thank you both for breaking the doldrums of winter and work. The tales of your travels are wonderful and I feel like I'm on the ship with you, Don't I wish! Again thanks and keep writing!.

Prinsendam 2005, January 27

Last night was another time change night... our explorers are now on Mountain Standard time.... Love those 25 hour days... usually means an extra hour of sleep. Grumpy was awake about daybreak and opened the cabin curtains to see what was happening outside. He was surprised to see that the ship was headed northwest, straight for land. Since the normal course should take the ship past the southern end of the Baja Peninsula, Grumpy guessed that was the area we were in, but grabbed his trusty GPS to see what was going on. The Prinsendam was headed straight into Cabo San Lucas, about 12 miles ahead. Heading up to the Lido for breakfast, Slinkie and Grumpy found a table with a view on the aft Lido deck. Looking forward, the ship was still on course to sail straight into the harbor. About then, Captain Gundersen come on the squawk box to let us know that he thought we might enjoy seeing the resort area coastline, so he was going to go into the harbor, turn around and then follow the coastline. Frank Buckingham, the fountain of knowledge that gives the port lectures and the talks from the bridge, came on to tell us that we should keep close watch, there were often whales in the area and if we were very lucky we might spot one... Too late, Frank, everyone on the aft Lido was already along the Starboard rail watching several whales spouting and breaching... by the time Frank finished his announcement, we were past them.

The Diamond Princess was anchored in the harbor at Cabo San Lucas. We sailed in close, stopped, swung to our Port side and slowly left the harbor. We continued Southwest around the magnificent rock formations that are at the tip of the harbor. We were close enough to see a couple of seals on one of the rocks. There must have been more, judging by the amount of barking we could hear. The Captain tells us we will pass through a whale and dolphin area later in the day. Our Slinkie is absolutely fascinated by the various aquatic creatures, so she's looking forward to that part of our sea day.

Well, we never saw anymore whales or dolphins today. Seas were a little rough and it was a little cool for spending time on the balcony. As soon as we rounded the corner of the Baja Peninsula and headed north, we could tell we had encountered the north to south flow of the California currents. The temperature dropped about 10 degrees.

Tonight is another formal night... Slinkie, as usual, looks fantastic in her Teal outfit... Grumpy opted for the offwhite dinner jacket. Dinner, as usual, was fantastic. Prawn cocktail, oysters Rockefeller ( Grumpy went for both) along with several other choices, Lobster tail or filet mignon or rabbit cacciatore and other choices... they sure do keep our adventurers well fed...

The entertainment was provided by Mark Newsome displaying his piano and vocal talents. He claims to be a well known Welsh singer... even did a few songs made famous by another Welsh singer... but there weren't any ladies throwing underwear onstage like there is at Tom Jones concerts... he'll be back tomorrow night in concert with the Harmonica Aces, who were featured the night before, but Slinkie and Grumpy skipped that one.

Off to dreamland for another time change night...

Slinkie and Grumpy

Prinsendam 2005, Jan 28

OK... where did this COLD weather come from? We're still along the Baja Peninsula where it's supposed to be warm! It's only in the 60's out there. Yeh, I know, there's a bunch of you ready to hand us some cheese to go with the whine... Well, anyway, it's a pretty nice day otherwise... seas are rolling a little, but not too bad.

We really appreciate all of the nice comments about our journal. The feedback and questions make it enjoyable doing it.

Alsas, the Crow's Nest after Lifeboat Drill sounds good. Grumpy never has been one to turn down a free drink. It will be our pleasure to meet you and your DW. We're still planning to meet the ones boarding in LA on the 31st at 4pm in the Crow's Nest. First round is on Grumpy. We're in Cabin 35 if anyone needs to get in touch.

Mariner05 and AtSeaDaze, how about Friday, April 15, 4:30p in the Crow's Nest? It should be pretty quiet in there then.

LocalLady and Louiskam, our tablemates report that they are very happy with 196. They had friends that had stayed in it before and had seen it on a previous cruise. They had a chance to get that one and jumped on it. We'll ask Evan and Darline not to trash the place too badly...

Cruiseoften, some of our tablemates have been in the smaller dining room and feel that it is a little quieter, but there are more people wandering through. On balance, they prefer the large dining room, but I'm sure others would prefer the small one.

Aussie Gal, Slinkie has already received the Official Guide to Sydney Shopping from an online friend and has been reading all about the black opals, boulder opals, crystal opals and all of the color variations... now you don't think she would be doing all that research if she weren't planning to do some serious shopping, do you?

Watchdiva, we hope you and DH do get a chance to take this or a similar voyage when you retire... but you'll have to sign a "Hold Harmless" that says that Slinkie and Grumpy are not responsible for any damage to your kids inheritance that may result from reading this....

Someone asked about the catamaran in Huatulco... sorry, but I couldn't find the name of the poster... it was pretty much an infomercial for the area, asking everyone to tell their friends how great the area is and to come back for a visit. There were free drinks and fruit, the guide did give us a lot of interesting information and answered a lot of questions from the passengers about the area, so we did enjoy it. The area was just starting to take off before 9/11 and took a big hit for a few years, but seems to be on the verge of booming again. There is a large National Park area with beautiful beaches for those wanting to do some camping, and several resorts in all price ranges for those wanting to be pampered. The Catamaran trip gives a good overview of it all.

AtSeaDaze, since we have to get off the ship and don't know how soon we can get back on, we signed up for the LA bus tour, 4 1/2 hours worth... not sure what time we will leave or what time we will be back... we may miss each other in LA, but we'll certainly meet up after Capetown. We may even be able to meet on shore before we reboard. Cell phone is (216)577-8401.

I'm going to try to attach a picture of Grumpy and Slinkie when I send this. Hope it works... don't want to spend too much time playing with it.

Slinkie and Grumpy

Formal2.jpg.29c4ce8f087d053599d5a539ae67fe8e.jpg

Great picture Slinkie and Grumpy...but you don't look grumpy to me!!

Have a ball and keep us up-to-date on all that is going on. We will be reliving our 2001 WC as you get near to NZ and Australia.

You both look great and happy in your formal picture. I love reading about your trip. I know you are having a wonderful time - now that you feel better. Slinkie---you are going to need a truck to take home all your new jewlery. Penny

Prinsendam 2005, January 27

LocalLady and Louiskam, our tablemates report that they are very happy with 196. They had friends that had stayed in it before and had seen it on a previous cruise. They had a chance to get that one and jumped on it. We'll ask Evan and Darline not to trash the place too badly...

What a very lovely picture of you and Slinkie! ;)

It's been pretty cool here in California lately, but in a few days you all will be sailing into more tropical locales once again! Thank you again for the information on 196, makes me even more excited for our Baltic trip (if that were possible!) And of course I appreciate Evan and Darline's offer.:D

Continued safe seas and blue skies!

Thanks so much for letting us see that lovely photo of both of you. What a handsome couple you make. It is always nice to know what people look like when corresponding.

If you have any queries regarding which excursion to take when you come to Geelong, please do not hesitate to ask as I know Victoria backwards and I will be able to help. If you come up to Melbourne for the day, please let me know as I could show you around.

Jennie

And a photo showing the emeralds will be posted---when? :confused:

That one doesn't need to be posed so much as set to show all the jewels to their best advantage. ;)

Seriously, it's a lovely picture---Liz is right: Grumpy doesn't look grumpy (but Slinky does look a bit, well, slinky;) ).

Loving your posts. Please, keep 'em coming. :D

Grumpy and Slinkie,

Thanks for the great running commentary. I have a coffee question for you (since I am on the Prinsendam in July).

Is there a charge for cappuccino in the Java Bar? If so, is there another place to get a free cappuccino during the day? My wife and I fell in love with the cappuccino machine on the Rotterdam Lido 5 years ago.

Thanks again for all the Prinsendam information. And y'all look too good to actually be eating anything on the cruise. I hope I can learn restraint.

Cruising Gator,

We were on the Prinsendam in October and unless they have removed the Java Bar in dry dock a couple of weeks ago, capuccinos and lattes etc are gratis. These are served to you by a waiter. There are also delicious biscuits to eat with them.

Jennie

Grumpy and Slinkie,

Your picture is beautiful! Thanks for sharing. I think you have us confused with smeone else. We are only coming onboard tomorrow for a TA ship visit. Not sailing with you unfortunately. Thanks for your cell phone number though, we will try calling you before we leave the ship to see if you are there. We have been in contact with Chef Boyce and are meeting him onboard tomorrow as that is when he arrives as guest chef all the way to Hawaii.

Thanks for your wonderful day by day of your world cruise. We are sailing the Prinsendam August 23 and are also booked on the 2006 World Cruise. Our kids constantly tell us we are sending their inheritance, so now we can blame it on you two.....

We wish you another Bon Voyage tomorrow evening. Enjoy your day in the CIty of Angeles. Hopefully we will meet the two of you tomorrow.

Karen and Bob

Hello Grumpy & Slinkie

Carol and I were on the Prinsendam on her maiden voyage up the Amazon Dec 2004. That Aft elevator stopped short of the 12th with a very nervous lady who patiently waited to be extracted. Staff inserted a chair for her comfort while they designed her excape. Everyone knows that the Prinsendam is HALs oldest ship. "Stuff" happens with age... just look in a mirror! In all, the Amazon trip was fantastic thanks to a great staff, Capt Hans and his wife, and our mavelous fellow adventurers. Dolly was with us, and I understand she's with you all too. She all but lives on HAL.

Have a great trip, and thanks for sharing it with us landlubbers!

Eddie Murphy

Dear Grumpy and Slink:

Great picture of the two of you. Hope you both have a great time and keep things in shape for our boarding. We have noted the date and time in the Crows nest and will see you then. Marianne and Leo are boarding in Capetown as well and will be with us. Keep your information coming we are getting all excited about this trip. We cruised the rest last year and will be looking forward to the Capetown segment this year., thanks for your informative and humorous sharing. I look forward to your entries every day. LOU

Grumpy and Slinkie, you both look amazing. My question: how will you stay that way with all the good food available on a cruise? Seriously, have you had to adapt your normal "cruise feeding schedule" for this world cruise. (I usually eat, or taste anyway, a bit more than normal on a cruise because I want to enjoy all the delicious meals.)

Hi Grumpy and Slinkie,

Sorry we did not make contact with you today, but we were thrilled with the Prinsendam. We actually spent the day with Chef Boyce and his wife and left right at 4 pm when they said we had to go. We think the ship looks great and loved the Captain and crew who we met.

We are looking forward to our August 23 "Windmills and Waterford" voyage, and of course our 2006 World Cruise. We were able to see our Suite, the Neptune Lounge, have lunch, etc. and had a pleasant surprise to see Tiffany our Concierge from the Ryndam now on the Prinsendam.

It was a great day and we were sorry that we had to leave the ship. Have a wonderful continuation of your cruise on the Prinsendam and keep those fabulous letters coming.

Karen and Bob

Hello Grumpy & Slinkie

Carol and I were on the Prinsendam on her maiden voyage up the Amazon Dec 2004. That Aft elevator stopped short of the 12th with a very nervous lady who patiently waited to be extracted. Staff inserted a chair for her comfort while they designed her excape. Everyone knows that the Prinsendam is HALs oldest ship. "Stuff" happens with age... just look in a mirror! In all, the Amazon trip was fantastic thanks to a great staff, Capt Hans and his wife, and our mavelous fellow adventurers. Dolly was with us, and I understand she's with you all too. She all but lives on HAL.

Have a great trip, and thanks for sharing it with us landlubbers!

Eddie Murphy

I am wondering about your Amazon Cruise. My husband and I are booked for the Nov/Dec 05. Did you R/T from Ft. Lauderdale?

How die the ship ride on the Atlantic? It can be rough when it is calm if the ship does not have the stablizers.

Our last few cruises have been on the big ship like the Princess Grand and RCC Mariner of the Seas. How does the Prisendam compare to the old Neiu Amsterdam? Size,?We sailed that one a couple of times.

BJ

Dear Grumpy and Slinkie,

Out of curiousity what are you doing about:

1. filing income tax

2. mail

3. watching the house

I am in the midst of cancelling my 32 day cruise because we cannot get away in November for that long so I REALLY envy you both. If things don't get better they will call me by one of your two names and since I am overweight it will not be Slinkie.

Keep enjoying the cruise. Keep wel and keep up the posts.

Archived