Prinsendam 2005 World Tour... it has begun

Grumpy1

Grumpy & Slinkie:

Thank for sharing with us. I have a favor to ask, If you should meet two very nice ladies(mother and daughter) who are from Canada, Nanaimo B.C. I think and making the whole trip. Tell them Hi from the Guy who was in seat 2B on the flight from Columbus to Atlanta the day they where flying to meet the ship in FLL.

Thanks

Grumpy & Slinkie, Thanks so much for sharing your voyage with us! It is our dream one day as well. We actually got the brochure for the 2006 World Voyage in the mail yesterday and I thought of the two of you!

Like so many other people I am enjoying your postings- when we did ours I sent weekly postings to friends and family. We are considering next year's WC and would like to hear your comments about the daily programs on sea days. Especially interested in lectures, entertainment and duplicate bridge. Many thanks.

Slinkie & Grumpy: thanks for all the good info, especially on the aft cabins-we have reserved cabin A196 or A197 for our Baltic cruise in July. (I can't keep them straight yet-localady/DW have one and we have the other-I will get this sorted out before we embark!) Your report has quenched our curiosity about the aft wall for the time being.

Randall Powell was the "piano man" on our SA cruiseon the Amsterdam last year and we grew to like him more as the cruise progressed.

Glad you made it through Cartagena safe and sound!

Slinkie and Grumpy - I am so glad you are enjoying your cruise. We were on the Amazon 28 Day cruise in Nov and Dec on the Prinsendam and loved the ship. I hope Hostess Sheri got married. She was leaving after our cruise to get married and was to come back for your cruise. The rest of the crew must have been on vacation when were had our cruise. We had a different Captian, Hotel Manager and Maitr d Hotel then you do. Penny

Prinsendam 2005, January 19

Good afternoon, gang. Slinkie and Grumpy here to educate and entertain... OK, as you can tell, we've seen way to many of the "infomercials" in the Queen's Lounge...starting to sound like them...well, anyway, we made it through the canal yesterday, and were clear of the last lock just after 5p. After the port boat came up and picked up the Panama Canal navigation and line handling crew, ( our Verandah is directly above the bulkhead that they open to make water taxi transfers) another boat came alongside and as we cruised along at about 10 knots they kept pace with us and transferred about 500 boxes of provisions. As soon as they pulled away, another boat pulled alongside and transferred about a dozen boxes that were labeled as fresh flowers. A third boat came alongside and picked up one person. We then continued on into the sunset without further interruption... I hope someone remembered to close the door after the last guy left...

Grumpy has been enjoying the ice cream and cookie bar in the Lido... Chocolate chip... Macadamia nut... raisin... a few others that he hasn't tried yet... a couple of scoops of ice cream... todays choice was black cherry... and a shot of the cherry liquer to top it off... and that was AFTER he had stuffed himself on crab legs, assorted cheeses, fruits, roasted vegetables with feta cheese... all of that was just from the appetizer table. He never got to the main courses...

Today is a sea day and the first time change day. It seemed strange to wake up at 6 and find that it's daylight out there... We're cruising the Golfo Dulce off the coast of costa Rica today. Slinkie has been complaining that we haven't seen any fish in the beautiful blue waters... well, she got her wish today, with a pair of propoises or dolphins (OK, Grumpy is not an expert on sea mammals) that were running along side for about 15 minutes... Just about had to keep that girl from jumpin' in to join them...With the time lag on the shutter on his digital camera, Grumpy has about 50 pictures of water and maybe one or two with a critter above water. There's still a lot to be said for a 35mm manual release camera... Tomorrow we'll be in port in Puntarenas and prepare to do battle with the mosquitos and any other predators that we encounter on the tropical mangrove river cruise... We brought some 30% DEET towelettes with us instead of spray. We'll see how well they work.

Today's featured educational program was an infomercial for Emeralds. Of course, they just happened to pick up a couple of Columbian Emerald dealers and their wares in Cartagena and these were being offered at an amazing 50% off... well, Slinkie and Grumpy weent, got educated, drank their free champagne and looked at their offerings. Grumpy's feeling pretty good about the baubles he bought for his sweetheart in Cartagena after comparing to the onboard offerings... he didn't pick up anthing more... lot's of time to find more things as we circle the globe.

We've received a few pillow gifts... of course we're saving all of the chocolates for RuthC.....yeah, sure we are... We've received a Holland America white canvas tote bag, a leather ID and credit card wallet embossed with the HAL logo and "MS Prinsendam Grand World Voyage 2005", for each of us and a beautiful bound calendar/notebook and pen, similarly embossed, for each of us. Keep them coming, HAL.. we can be bribed...

In response to Jean's question, the food and beverage manager is Joe Cheng.

It looks like there are some changes in cabin classifications coming next year. We have the brochure for the 2006 World Tour and see that the first eight and last four cabins on the Verandah deck have been changed to Cat SY from Cat SS. They are still listed as Superior Verandah Suites, but the SY's are about $5 pp per day cheaper. The aft facing cabins 198 and 199 will be SY instead of SS and the corner cabins 196 and 197 will be AA instead of A. The remaining cabins in the 190 series will go from AA to AB. upper Promenade, which was all Cat A will have some AA fore and aft with 104 and 105 becoming AB. The difference between an A and AA looks like about $10 pp per day, and from AA to AB the difference is about $5. It looks like they are trying to get a slight premium for midships cabins.

Dave, we'll look for you in Puerto Vallarta. Gee, we thought you would be sampling the fine vintage beverages at Carlos and Charlies instead of jewelry shopping...

LaffNVegas, we don't stop in San Diego. We'll be in LA on the 29th and then on to Hawaii.

Ruth C and all of the others asking about pics, I'll probably wait until the sea days after we depart LA and upload some to an Ofoto site.

Karen and Bob, we'll make it a point to attend a session of the culinary arts program and say Hi to James Boyce. Slinkie's been avoiding those... doesn't want to be reminded that there will come a day when she might have to do some cooking to keep Grumpy from getting grumpier...

Mick 70, we'll keep an eye out for the mother/daughter from Nanaimo, BC.

I lost the screen name of the person asking about S018, but that will be an excellent cabin. Even though it is just across the hall from the elevators, there is virtually no noise coming into the cabin... besides, the elevators probably won't be working... (just kidding, they've been working fine, it's the sliding doors from the LIDO to the aft outside seating that have been having problems)... You'll be straight down the hall from the Neptune and just steps away from the door to Lido deck pool area. Now, Ol' Grumpy didn't spring for Cat S priveleges, so he's gonna have to find someone to invite him in to see the Neptune and check out the ambience. "Course Slinkie Girl would probably have a better chance of getting an invite... but they'll work on it...

Well, that should be enough for now...

NotSoGrumpy and Slinkie

Grumpy-

You are not alone with the digital picture lag issue. When we were in Alaska and I got many many pictures of water after the whales had jumped! Someone suggested that I try the "action" or "sports" setting on my camera. I did and it was a bit better, actually got some nice shots! Not sure if your camera has a simular setting, but you might check to see if it does.

Thanks for the update! Enjoy Puntasarenas tomorrow!:cool:

Grumpy1,

Well, one of the good things about that digital camera is the ability to view and delete unwanted pictures. You can also load them onto your portable PC and see them in 17" color!

When I bought my new Canon recently I purchased a high-speed memory card. It is a SanDisk Ultra II which is a very fast memory. It reduces the shuttle lag when you are taking a rapid sequence of pictures. You might consider picking up one if you happen to pass a photo shop one day. The Ultra II has a minimum write speed of 9 megabytes per second and a minimum read speed of 10 megabytes per second which is a whole lot faster than the standard flash memory cards.

I am looking forward to your photos when you have the chance to upload to Ofoto someday.

Regards and happy sailing to you and Slinkie.

Ruffin

Hello Grumpy and Slinkie,

I just want to thank you so so much for this fantastic on-line journal of your trip! A world cruise is a dream we want to fullfill someday - so till we do, we are just going to live vivariously through you! Again, thanks!!!! Meg

Jake, my trick is to pretend I were the judge at the Iron Chefs contest.... to view, taste and appreciate my dishes leisurely. And in the buffet, I use the same approach to get the salad/soup first and make seperate trip for small portion of the main course and dessert. It worked very well for us.

... of course we're saving all of the chocolates for RuthC.....yeah, sure we are...

Oh, you don't have to save them all. Half for you/half for me is fine. :D

I'm enjoying each and every post. Thank you, again, for bringing us along. It's the next best thing to being there!

Dave, we'll look for you in Puerto Vallarta. Gee, we thought you would be sampling the fine vintage beverages at Carlos and Charlies instead of jewelry shopping...

While the DW would enjoy sipping 'ritas at Carlos & Charlies that's now the second priority. She's just remembered that Mexico, silver and Turquoise form an ideal equation. :)

We can spend Thursday & Friday racing up the coast (along with some Princess boat, I believe)...

-dave

Am glad you enjoyed Cartagena, as we did. We found very beautiful emeralds there also, and bought a necklace. Price-wise we paid probably 1/4th to 1/3rd the price one would pay here in the states or Europe. The emeralds are set in 18K and I wear them on formal evenings. If Slinkie wears her emeralds, I will see them a mile away, and we can visit and talk about emerald buying in Cartagena. Also about creating a wardrobe for the emeralds. Must find a cruise that will stop there again.

See you all in Capetown.

Marianne

The main reason ships berth at this port as it is the closest to the City of Rotorua, world famous for its thernal and volcanis activity. It is also an important city for the Maori, the idiginous people of NZ.

So what do is suggest, an hours drive to Rotorua through beautiful NZ country takes you through Te Puke [the home of KiwiFrui]. You can visit a whole range of various thermal sites [geysers, mud pools, acid lakes etc] take a mud bath, have a lekeside spa. Visit the eruption sites of 1886 and 2001!!!! Take in an authentic Maori cultural performance. Do a Farm show [quite a laugh] Visit wineries, do some adventure stuff [jet boating, grade 6 white water rafting, ZORB [i'll explain if you want]

You can easily fill a whole day. Then theres all the stuff here in tauranga, or over towards the west at Waitomo [glow worm caves]

I wholeheartedly agree with this itinerary--when we visitied NZ last Feb we had such a fantastic time in Rotorua! Zorbing is not to be missed, we also did a "Swoop" at the Agrodome, and the thermal pools and spa treatments are wonderful. Just my $.02, I do not think you would regret making the trip. Happy cruising as well!

Nikki

G and S,

Thanks for taking us along on your fabulous journey!

About your stop in New Zealand near Rotorua: New Zealand is one of the best places we've been. We especially liked the South Island and its beautiful pristine lakes and mountains. And the people are the best.

If you've been to Yellowstone, you probably won't be bowled over by the geysers at Rotorua. It's an interesting place, but depending on your interests, I'd opt for the jet boating ( a real thrill) and white water rafting.

Whatever you do, I think you'll love New Zealand.

Thanks again for taking us along, it's a real treat.

Wonderful reports! Oh! how I wish I could take such a cruise (DW thinks 21 day cruises are long enough!).

Yes, I too wanted to drop a note to thank both Grumpie and Slinkie for taking us along on your world cruise. I've always dreamed of a world cruise, but due to work schedules won't be able to do it for many, many years to come. Your reports allow me to travel vicariously through you and I thank you for that.

Blue skies and smooth sailing!

--rita

Every night from now to May, I'll have to be on the laptop. Wonderful journey - thanks for sharing and in such a humorus way.

One suggestion, if I may, please start a new thread every once in a while (ie - part 2 , part 3, etc) Might be easier for you and us at the same time. Thanks.

"Sea" ya soon, MaryAnn (West Palm) BTW - it's cold here now !!

Actually, wowzo, I find that when I post daily on long cruises it's easier to keep it in one thread. I can sign on, easily get to my last post, read everything that has been added since---and all in one place!---then post my new entry.

Answering the new posts gets delayed because it is on a time lag, but the answers are also on that one same thread when they are entered.

After I'm home and the last entry has gotten old I print it out as a journal. I love going back and re-reading them once in a while.

Grumpy and Slinkie,

Thank you for taking us along on your World Cruise. We have been thinking about a World Cruise of our own and would appreciate some advice. How long did you plan before you booked, and are there any tips you could pass along concerning packing for this kind of a cruise? Thanks.:D

Hi Not So Grumpy and Slinkie,

Thanks for another great informative letter. We think you should publish them when you return from your voyage. Thanks also for saying hi to Chef Boyce for us. We were also the ones who asked about S018 as that is where we are on August 23rd.

We are so thrilled with your letters we took the big step and booked the 2006 World Cruise today. It will be our way to celebrate the fact that we each turn 60 in 2006. Our kids think we are spending their inheritance....oh well!! After putting three through college and graduate school, we figured it was our turn.

We wish we were with you so that we could have the pleasure of meeting you, but perhaps you will join us next year!

Have a fabulous time and savor each and every moment because it is a voyage of a lifetime.

Karen and Bob

Archived