Internet usage through cell phone on ships

lelalenore

It can get very expensive very quickly. AT&T charges for data outside of the US at a per kilobyte rate. Check out: http://www.wireless.att.com/learn/international/roaming/iphone-travel-tips.jsp. In a typical month, I probably use 50MB+ on my iPhone which would cost $975 at sea under AT&T's rate of .0195 per kilobyte. The unlimited rate only applies in AT&T's US network

Very, very expensive. We used our cell a number of years ago in Mexico. We didn't use it long but I remember being shocked at the bill when I finally got it.

Not only would it be prohibitively expensive but SLOW AS DEATH. The internet on the ship is slow enough (dial up modem speeds from what I've experienced) so on your cell it would be worse.

Turn your phone off, put it in your safe and buy an internet plan on the ship that will allow you to send a few emails back home, check the news and sports scores and that's about it.

Archived